Just released a new song with my band (Female fronted melodic/power metal)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 4, 2015.

1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Hey there!

We finally got around to recording new material, and here's the result. This is the song we open our gigs with.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/athellagon/unleashed-grace[/SC]

And here's the same song on youtube:

Our recordings have been on hold since our old rehearsal place burned to the ground last autumn, but now we finally got our .... together, and I have to say, we sound a lot better than before!

I did the production and mixing etc, so it's not exactly perfect, but still probably my best mix to date. I even managed to get the kick to sound right without a trigger, yay :lol: The vocals are bit "deep" in the mix, I know, but other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

So what do you guys think? Mainly in terms of songwriting/playing etc. but comments on the mix are also welcome.

2. RobbYoung

RobbYoung Psalm Mutes Fix Wars

Not bad man! I would say that the keys seem very "cutting" in the mix, whereas the guitars are not at all. You said yourself the vocals seem a little far back, might I advise double tracking them? It'll make a fuller sound, and allow them to kick through more.

3. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I don't know if double tracking the vocals would be necessary, I'll just need to mix them a bit louder and with slightly less reverb, I think. And yeah, the piano is a bit cutting (and slightly of beat too). We almost ended up re-recording those parts with a different softer sound, but decided we'd spent enough time fine tuning for now and just pushed it out.

But yeah, I'm glad you like it :)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I composed this song as well. It's a couple of years old already, it's actually the first thing I ever wrote for this band :)

Our next song will most likely be a faster one, and will probably be mixed by someone else, just to get something to compare my mixing skills with.
    So if you like this song, stay tuned! We'll be releasing almost a whole albums worth of material throughout the year :)

4. The Hiryuu

The Hiryuu Dot dot dot.

The drums sound great, the songwriting's solid. The keyboard's a little up-front, and things all around don't seem 100% cohesive...it sounds like everything other than the drums is battling for space. Nothing that couldn't be solved by tightening up on the EQ a bit. Not a lot, you're not too far away.

As for the vocals...that's a woman? Had I not read the thread title I would've guessed you were singing falsetto while eating a ham sandwich.

5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll work on the EQ's a bit more, I've mainly just made room for the kick drum with those. I guess I'll have to do basically the same thing to everything. And then I'll need to work a little on the actual tracks, normalizing them part by part (yes, I did that to some extent already, but a bit more won't hurt) to make them even.

Hmm, ok :D I guess that's because the vocals are quite soft and too far back in the mix. We also used a pop filter for the first time on this, and that seemed to make the recording a little bit muffled.
    And there's no falsetto at all in there, by the way. It's a very general misconception that all high vocals are falsetto, we get that all the time :)

Actually, getting back to this subject, double tracking might be just the right thing to do here- then I could have one track with the current reverb etc. and one almost entirely dry to make it more defined... Maybe next time.

6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Bump! More feedback please :)

7. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Another bump, any comments, anyone?