Just completed! Blackmachine B7 clone build :-)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Silence2-38554, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 SS.org Regular

Yep! It’s a two piece top. I actually just checked the B7’s neck dive & it’s virtually non-existent. Even with the extended length of the neck, heavy-ish neck wood and heavy chambering, the body stays put when you let go. I’d guess strap button location has a lot to do with it. In playing position, I use the upper strap button on the back and the upper horn puts the strap button right around the 12th fret.

2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Tell us about the Impulse set! pls :)

3. Silence2-38554

dude, I love the Impulse set. I had them in a 25.5" scale 7 string before this & they were great in that too. In fact, in that guitar, I had tried Juggernauts, Painkillers, Black Hawks and Impulses. The Impulses were hands down the best. The bridge sounds very similar to a C-Hawk, except since it has an alnico magnet it doesn't have that abrasive high end on the high strings. From what I could perceive, the Impulse is just as tight as a C-Hawk despite the magnet difference. What I will say, however, is that the pick attack of the Impulse bridge benefits from not having a tone knob for sure. I experimented with that a lot in the previous guitar and sort of planned the controls of this guitar accordingly. No tone, 3-way switch with coil split to inner coils.

And that brings us to the neck pickup! The neck is really something unique. It's like a Black Hawk neck made a baby with a VHII. Considering those are my two favorite BKP neck pickups, this one is a clear winner. The split sound is fantastic as well. The coils are asymmetrically wound, so you can choose to split to the coil with higher or lower output.

4. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Gilmer is my second-favorite wood pr0n site. They frequently have 2-pic tops in every wood imaginable. Pretty sure I gave you a link when you were doing your build (yours turned out sweet anyway!). :D

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  5. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Damn that looks clean as hell, and awesome wood choices!

6. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Impressive! \m/

7. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

A stable hanging position is desireable but not the whole story.
    I also wonder about the angle between neck and ground.

8. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Dead sexy

9. Silence2-38554

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I realized I didn't post much about how this thing is set up / wired, so here's a shot of the control cavity-

[​IMG]WUifL5evT2KN8spHNGruqw by Kris Yates, on Flickr

I was originally planning to do this build with the standard vol / tone / 3-way setup, 'till I realized I really only like the Impulses with a no-load tone (i.e., no additional load at all beyond the 500k vol. pot.) So, I went with a single push / pull vol. pot & Switchcraft 3-way toggle. The push/pull splits the humbuckers to the inner coils, hum-cancelling in the middle position. It's great.

Seeing that the pickups were developed by Josh from Northlane, it makes a lot of sense that these pickups are amazing in this guitar. He does not use tone pots in his Jacksons, which also happen to be 27" scale, so the voicing is literally dialed in for down-tuned extended scale guitars with no tone circuit. I was originally planning to swap in the new Ragnaroks at some point but I've never been this satisfied with a pickup choice first try in a guitar before!

I also got it out into some sunlight the other day & snapped some more shots. I love how the ebony figuring pops out with the right lighting :) Enjoy!

[​IMG]fullsizeoutput_73cb by Kris Yates, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5449 by Kris Yates, on Flickr

[​IMG]fullsizeoutput_73c9 by Kris Yates, on Flickr

[​IMG]fullsizeoutput_73c4 by Kris Yates, on Flickr

[​IMG]fullsizeoutput_73cd by Kris Yates, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5462 by Kris Yates, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5468 by Kris Yates, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5474 by Kris Yates, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_5475 by Kris Yates, on Flickr

10. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Man, Doug should bring you onboard with Blackmachine, this looks perfect.

Humbuck and electriceye like this.
  11. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 *space for hire*

Does he even make guitars anymore or has he given up after being done by all the guitar flippers? Hasn’t seen a new one for time

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Incredible work dude! Everything looks clean!

He doesn't build much anymore, maybe 1-3 guitars a year for friends, early waiting list customers and anyone who can sway him with the right amount of cash but he's not that interested in being a commercial builder anymore. Shame he's cut down to the odd build and never licensed out production builds like Strandberg. But on the bright side he opened up a whole market for boutique builds and guitar design that so many companies use as a basis.

13. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

Great job! Looks amazing!

14. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Very nicely done. It'd be hard to tell apart from an original except it doesn't say "handmade in London" on the rear plate.

15. Grand Rabbit

Grand Rabbit SS.org Regular

Really nice work here, I bet it plays and sounds amazing!

I have a question: what fasteners did you use for the 'bolts' on the neck? They look great

16. Silence2-38554

Thanks! These took me quite a while to find. I’m still not 100% sure what Doug uses, but the closest I got was THESE
    With regular machine-threaded hex head bolts from the hardware store. Oh, and the neck has stainless T-nuts for threads.

17. Grand Rabbit

Grand Rabbit SS.org Regular

Thanks man, I'm probably going to do something identical on some of my current builds!