Just a few questions

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by johnthefreeman1, May 21, 2012.

1. johnthefreeman1

johnthefreeman1 SS.org Regular

Because I couldn't come up with a better post title.

I have Chop Builder, Rock Discipline, Shred Guitar Manifesto, and Wild Stringdom.
    Let's say I want to work on one book, let's say RD. Do I play all of the exercises as a sort of workout and increase by 1 bpm the next day? Or do I play a certain section and slowly increase the tempo and attempt to reach a target tempo by the end of practice? How would you recommend practicing?

I have my alt picking up to ~280 bpm (because I played a lot of TBDM a few years back) but I have no control when I pick across strings. This info probably won't help, but anyway I need your best alternate picking exercises, particularly those that go across strings.

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

2. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

I'd say make the increases a day by day thing, if not even less regular as there's no pint moving ahead when you're not ready yet. If you increase lots in one sitting then you'll be disappointed the following day when you come back and can't necessarily pick right back up at that speed. If you're prepared and are happy to start the following day at the previous tempo and work your way back up then give that a go. See which helps you improve best and which motivates you more. Thinking about it again, going through sets of tempi may be less discouraging than risking being stick at one tempo with a week. After all, playing at slow tempi is good and useful, as well.

Let us know how it goes. :)

3. johnthefreeman1

Thanks for the input, but when working from a particular book, should I play all of the exercises in a sitting or choose a section and practice that?

4. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

Choose a section is probably better.

5. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

If you can pick cleanly 16th notes at 280bpm, we should be asking you for help.

6. johnthefreeman1

I can pick them cleanly, but if I play 4 16th notes to each note (something widely seen in TBDM) then that's fine. Playing different notes for each 16th note? NOPE.