JRPG -Thread

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Mwoit, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

This is all true. And the main thing that bothered me (and it's why I've not gone back to it) is that it's damn easy. If you end up with a certain monster or the perfect team, you can breeze through the game. And the fighting system isn't exactly full of depth.

Other things that I didn't like about it is that there's not enough secret things or huge grand bosses. There is a post main quest sidequest chain that apparently which ends up in a weird weird way but I've not gotten that far due to my lack of motivation to do any more. I do like the bounty hunt but when it's just reskins of existing monsters or bosses... hurr.

Things that I did love were the open world and music. The music by Joe Hisaishi is grand and fits the mood quite well. It gives it that Ghibli polish. The music for exploring the open world makes me hard. I love open worlds since it gives that sense of freedom and excitement. I wanna discover wee pockets of adventure and cool shit. It reminded me of DQ8 which had the same feel.

---

In other news, on top of all my other games I've got to play on PC (South Park, replay DS2, ME3, Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 enhanced edition), I just ordered Professor Layton Azran and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. Time to get the 3DS back into action!

2. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

It's a rare JRPG (a rare game in general really) that actually has some depth and challenge to the system. I was talking to a friend the other day about how easy it is to completely break Xenoblade's battle system in half a dozen different ways.

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Thought I'd bump this up.

After finally fixing my TV problems (ie, buying a new one), I FINALLY finished Lightning Returns. The game has a new game+ that makes you play for a few extra dresses and quests, but I dunno if I'll be revisiting this anytime soon. Still, albeit somewhat unsastisfying as the classics, I finally closed the FFXIII saga.

Been playing this a lot lately, in fact that I put Tales Of Symphonia Dawn Of The New World on hold for this. Bloody awesome. Clearly Parker and Stone are massive Earthbound/Mother fans and it shows. Also helps that they put a lot of love into this game. Plus the fact that I overpowered my character before being rewarded the Sir Douchebag title, gets my personal J-RPG seal of approval. :lol:

Shame that Australia gets the censored version though...

EDIT: Speaking of Tales, the first Symphonia is officially the first Tales game I bothered to finish head to foot. I played the first Phantasia game back in the day and forgot it completely halfway through... :wallbash:

4. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

Any good ones for Android? I already have the FF games and Chaos Rings

5. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

I'm blasting Tales of Xillia II with a mate. It's good.

6. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

I got Earthbound (Mother 2) for the Wii U Virtual Console.

[​IMG]

It is batshit mental.

And I love it.

7. Bloody_Inferno

Playing this now... and boy oh boy does it suck. Quite possibly the worst protagonist in any RPG ever made, all the previous main characters have been reduced to minor support. Granted that it predates FFXIII-2 in terms of capturing monsters and using them as allies (ala Robotrek and Pokemon), but I've felt that buffing up the monsters just felt more of a chore than the usual JRPG fare. Both games suffer this, but at least FFXIII-2 was more enjoyable.

I will say that right after Symphonia, Dawn does have a great opening but the plot then takes a nosedive for the worse that it's hard to maintain insentive to go on. Such a shame, especially how good Symphonia was.

Of course, I'm about 75% in so I will stomach all the faults to the bitter end... perfect ending and all. :lol:

I can see why this was universally hated during it's initial release. But I'm one of the few that didn't mind the fact that all the original locations were reused and most of the music was just remixed. It is a sequel after all, and I like that kind of familiarity it gives.

Some recommendations:

Adventure Bar Story
    Different to your typical save the world premise, and does a very good job at it too.

Symphony Of The Origin
    More of the usual archtype J-RPG stylings, but the fun combat system makes up for it.

[​IMG]

8. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

9. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

My favorites:

Chrono Trigger (The only turn based game I've ever liked)
    Dark Souls (2, Bloodborne, ect...)
    Dragon's Dogma

10. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

Right now im playing through Radiant Historia for the DS. Cant believe i left it this long. It plays in an old school JRPG style, and has a really cool and well done time travel / alternate timelines system. Really loving the political story as well.

Also alongside that, I've decided to do a playthrough of the entire Dragon Quest series, starting with the Super Famicom remakes of the first three.

11. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I generally loathe JRPGs.

I loved Chrono Trigger.

That is all.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Mother (1) officially coming to the US.

13. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

Oh man. PLEASE let this come to Europe as well

EDIT: Not only was it a worldwide release, it was already released last night/this morning! Downloading it now!

Mother 3 has to happen now.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The generation of the remakes/remasters.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is happening. :D

15. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

Star Ocean: Integrity And Faithlessness was shown as well.

16. Bloody_Inferno

Now with all the awesome stuff and remakes coming out that will eventually make me broke with a surplus of games I'll certainly never complete...

Nomura Wants to Remake Final Fantasy V and VI

...go on Nomura san. Off you go then. And not like those dodgy ROM conversions that you did for PS1 yonks ago either. :pray:

17. Bloody_Inferno

While we're on the subject of incomplete...

I'm 80% deep in Tales Of Xillia 2. The Xillia games, while not perfect, are just as solid as the rest the Tales lineup. General consensus is that most Tales games are consistently good (sans Symphonia 2).

I plowed through the first game rather quickly and it was quite enjoyable, largely due to one of the better battle systems in any JRPG I've played. It's extremely intricate, almost like a fighting game with plenty of surprises and unique movesets that it never felt like a chore. 2 just adds to the fun factor with the new main protagonist given 3 different weapons (and a story-based power excuse) thus adding even more options.

Though Xillia 2 has it's problems, namely the Debt system. :wallbash:

Early in the game, the plot brings your character into a serious amount of debt (20 millionin game currency) that you're forced to pay over the course of the game. So there's certain spots where capital is king and you're forced to do a few odd job sidequests to pay a quota just to force the story forward. This incidentally forces you to grind your party, I didn't realised that I pretty much maxed out my characters at where I am at the moment. Thankfully towards the end, the debt isn't mandatory to pay (though it reaps great rewards) and should you choose to pay, you can deposit any amount at any given time.

Also because of the main character's fighting options, as well as being a permanent fixature of your party, this leads to all sorts of imbalance. Having every tool needed for every occasion, he becomes the sole greatest member of the group leaving all the other characters by the wayside. Which is a shame, as JRPGs often at least try to encourage you to play every member of the group (I certainly do).

I'll finish this soon anyways. Both Xillia games have a decent story and enough unexpected twists to keep you hooked. Xillia 2 even expands on the plot giving all the supporting cast (all from the first game) their own side chapters and mini endings, as well as 3 possible main endings (1 bad and 2 good).

18. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

Started Suikoden and Valkyria Chronicles.

Suikoden is the classic JRPG. I love it. Characters coming out of nowhere. Nothing explained. Great.

Valkyria Chronicles reminds me of Advance Wars. Characters are charming, the combat is pretty cool and in depth and the art style is gorgeous.

19. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

Love Suikoden. I was considering doing another run through of the series (especially since now I don't need to use Swap Magic to run the third game since they finally bothered to do a European release. That also means I can finally start transferring Suikoden II saves to III).

I've nearly finished Radiant Historia. Holy crap this game was amazing. Probably one of my favourite JRPGs now. Any JRPG fans who have a DS and haven't played this are seriously missing out. Do it!

20. Bloody_Inferno

Thought I'd bump this from the dead as I've finished 2 massive games.

Tales Of Zestiria

After the gaming high I got from the 2 Xillia games back to back, I kept going with the Tales games. Though this time around being an anniversary celebration to the series, Zestiria harkens back to more classic medieval settings and themes. It's mostly familiar ground though the fields are more grand open world affair (while not Xenoblade level but still big for a Tales game) and a new take on the lore of dragons here. The story is simple and straight forward with the usual tropes and a main focus on adventure. It's the same song and dance but there's a lot going on to keep you interested.

Perhaps the most unique take here is the battle system... which really is the crux of every JRPG. Using the classic Tales mechanic of linear motion battle system (it's actually a thing) and further elaborates it. Plenty of skills/arts as well as a nice instant 'tactic' maneuver so you have more control of your party than ever. Also like Xenoblade (and unlike most RPGs), battles physically takes place in the field you're in.

The biggest gimmick for Zestiria is the new fusion system (Armatization). This is probably my favorite mechanic as it fuses 2 characters together into a new hybrid form that corresponds with one of the character's elements eg Fire: Large Sword, Water: Bow/Arrow etc, giving access to all sorts of new toys.

All this comes with a major flaw though: there's no control of the camera. :wallbash: Because every button is assigned to a unique action there was no room for camera adjustment during battles. This blows hard especially when you're in a narrow dungeon corridor and a crucial part of a battle forces you to look at a wall in the stupidest angle possible. Field cameras also behave arbitrarily (also known as the Ninja Gaiden syndrome), a bad distraction once again during dungeon navigation.

It's not a perfect game by any stretch, and there's certainly not much new going on here at all. But it's a nice and comfy game if you're into the genre with a really cool battle system (despite it's major flaw). Only recommend if you're a Tales fan, otherwise, just watch the upcoming anime tie-in if you want to know the story. Lastly, to anyone who thought the Water Temple in Ocarina Of Time was frustrating, the Water Temple here will make you pull your hair out. :wallbash:

The other game...

Legend Of Heroes: Trails Of Cold Steel

I've been aware of Nihon Falcom's Dragon Slayer canon (harkens back to old games like Faxanadu), and how Legend Of Heroes is a branch of that. But I barely played any of them (largely because of either PSP exclusive or general lack of localization interest). Though Legend Of Heroes games are getting more exposure lately thanks to Trails Of The Sky trilogy. Also the games are console/handheld inter-compatible. All I knew is that the series happens in the same universe that constantly reference each other, but you don't have to worry about them when you're starting a new series.

With that in mind I started Cold Steel.

If there is a manifestation of every anime ever accumulated into a JRPG, Cold Steel is that manifestation incarnate. Anime junkies can instantly cross off a check list and yell 'bingo' within the first 20 minutes. Add the fact that the game mostly is set in the character's school doesn't help the clichés piling down either. And that's before the JRPG tropes come in. :lol:

Also the game is a linear and incredibly slow burn. There's no open field overworlds here. Just towns, long paths and dungeons. In it's place is a ton of exposition and dialogue. And so much of it that it feels largely like an infuriating visual novel (if that's not your thing). You spend most of the game in school, and being set in a school also gives the game excuses to throw you a ton of fetch quests, while optional, you miss out on some cool rewards if neglected and the game ranks you on how much of these quests and monster kills you do, and it all weighs you down heavily, with the story itself already at a pace of a dying man's crawl.

That's a lot to complain about. And it really baffles me when I ask myself why I enjoyed the game so much...

Cold Steel actually reminds me of Final Fantasy XIII, but good. It commits the same sins of linearity and exposition, but FFXIII doesn't have a lot of traits of what makes Cold Steel fun to play.

For one, the battle system isn't a retarded mess. Sure there's nothing new in the mix here, but it's familiar and you'll get used to it quickly. The link system also adds more strategic depth the stronger the bonds between characters become.

Secondly, Cold Steel wants you to play more thanks to the plot and it's characters. Despite the slooow story, it's still engaging and you're eager to know more. The main character is far more tolerable than most JRPGs and acts as a beacon of reason when it comes to putting all the other characters in their place. And after the support cast get over their tropes, they show more depth and become rather likeable themselves. The bad guys aren't the usual Saturday morning scheming villains either and they get more dimensional as the story progresses. Certainly more fun than she-Cloud and co. And the finale throws something completely new into the mix and ends in one hell of a cliffhanger.

Trails Of Cold Steel is certainly not for everyone, and obviously geared towards the hardcore JRPG gamers and to some extent, anime fans too. It certainly feels like a 'Season 1' anime with it's exposition and cliffhanger leading to the upcoming Part 2 of a trilogy (Falcom recently announced a Part 3). That said, despite it's many flaws, there's a lot of charm here that's worth the investment. Especially in a rather stagnating genre at this day and age.

TL/DR:

Tales Of Zestiria: Play only if you're big on the Tales series, otherwise, just watch the anime and buy the amazing soundtrack.

Trails Of Cold Steel: Anime in JRPG format but much more fun that it sounds. Basically Final Fantasy XIII but actually good.