John Petrucci string gauges

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Andi Rauscher, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Andi Rauscher

Andi Rauscher SS.org Regular

hey all, does anyone know the string gauges Mr. Petrucci uses on his 7strings? (for each string?) thx

2. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

3. Andi Rauscher

Andi Rauscher SS.org Regular

hey wildealien, thanks for the link! I already new the site, and (of course!!) I am looking for the gauges of his 7strings! and those are not mentioned there, just the beefys... but who wants a 6string ;-) so, if anyone knows...
    and thanks for the welcome!

4. Virtue

Virtue Prog Nut

I believe he uses standard 10's.

5. Vince

Vince Contributor

I picked up almost everything Petrucci did back in the mid 90s because his ways really worked well for me. Amplifiers, guitars, picks (Jazz IIIs), you name it, I really dug his stuff and it worked great for me.

From that, I know that when he tunes to standard tuning, he uses a hybrid 9 guage (9-46) where the lightest 3 strings are basically from a 9 gauge pack and the lower 3 strings are from a standard 10 gauge pack. The Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky pack has this 9-46 configuration. What he's using in that video is for tuning down to C on a six-string guitar, and as such he's using much much higher gauges (12-56). This would feel, as he said in the flash video, just like using 10 gauge strings in standard tuning.

When I tune to C or C# on a six string, what I do is take the bottom 6 strings from a Daddario 7-string set and use the lower 6 strings (11-54). For me that works nicely, as it feels and gives resistance like 9 gauge strings in standard tuning.

6. Vegetta

Vegetta SS.org Regular

You can get Blue Steels in this gauge they are called "Custom Lites" I've been using them forever on my old Rg550

7. Vince

Vince Contributor

Yeah, that really is the most awesome string gauge, heavy as hell and still very very bendable highs.