Jim root tele

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by cow 7 sig, Jan 27, 2009.

1. cow 7 sig

cow 7 sig AU director / RHLC ©

does anyone have or played a jim root tele? i am rather fond of this guitar but cant get my hands on one as yet to try.pros, cons please good sirs:yesway:

2. sworth9411

sworth9411 Banned

Hey Dude… I have now played two of these and was excited at the prospect, but was really disappointed with the sound, the feel, and the overall quality of this guitar was really not worth it for the money…..

It definitely has it for me in the looks department, and the specs seem like they should be great, but for the money, I just felt this guitar was far below subpar in the feel, and quality in general……for the money you could buy a lot of much better guitars without the name attached….my 2 cents…..

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

These things are made in Mexico :scratch:

I would have loved to try one (would loved it more if it was Alder) but, yeah I'll think about it more.

4. cow 7 sig

ooooooorly:eek:
    didnt know that.not all guitars from mex are crap but are they?
    i really really like it but need more opinions as i cant try one out.

5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

MIM DOES NOT MEAN A BAD INSTRUMENT!

:rant:

6. Bloody_Inferno

What I meant was I was surprised with a Signature being built in MX not US. But then again, Mick Thompson's Sigs aren't made in Japan either. Mex Fenders are usually very good. I've been keen of a swimming pool routed mex strat (if any) for HSH Wilkinson modding.

Don't get me wrong the Tele looks damn good for what it is and I still would like to try one (pls release a white maple board version:pray:), best thing you can do is try before you buy.

7. Variant

Variant Banned

:agreed:

I took a shot at playing the Root Tele when I picked up my uber-awesome Boss Slicer a while back. I figured since it had EMG's it'd be similar to my axes at home, and I love Teles.

Impressions? Did not like... at all. It's a monstrously heavy beast, thicker than what one would normally consider Tele, with a friggen' lamp post of a neck. Unless you like that sort of thing, I wouldn't recommend. It was also quite dead sounding (despite the EMG's), and while the little chamfer in the neck joint is a novel idea, it felt a little goofy. I won't comment on the action, as it might not have been set up right. It just wasn't "Tele" anything, feel or sound wise, despite the shape and name tag.

sworth9411 likes this.
  8. _detox

_detox lurkin'.

Hate to jack the topic, but I'll be quick.

How is the Slicer? It caught my eye in a magazine and I've considered picking it up for use in my band (an electronic/dance/metal b and) to mimic the trance gate effect you hear in most trance songs. :)

9. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

The only thing tele about this guitar is the shape. Why would you take the ugliest guitar fender makes, and take away all the tonal aspects of what makes it what it is? Once you put a different bridge, active pickups, make it set neck, and change the woods, its essentially a super strat shaped like a tele.

10. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

11. Beta

Beta SS.org Regular

And some people like and want just that.

I think you're overlooking the Jaguar, Jazzmaster or Mustang if you think the Tele shape is the ugliest thing Fender offers. Those three all remind me of an ashtray my parents had in the 70s.

A Strat without three single coils, a crappy fulcrum trem, and that isn't made of alder or swamp ash isn't exactly what made the Stratocaster what it originally was, either. Yet we've taken to calling guitars shaped roughly like a Stratocaster yet lacking those original Stratocaster characteristics "super strats."

12. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

I have one of these and think its a great guitar. Theres no need to downplay the guitar since its MIM, Jim said throughout the whole process of building this guitar he wanted it to be affordable, under $1000. So it ended up being MIM to keep costs down. As far as the guitar itself, its my main guitar right now and i really like it. The only thing i dont like is the EMG's, but i have some BKP painkillers coming to replace those so after that it should be fantastic. I agree though it is rather heavy but its not a big deal. All in all im really fond of this guitar so find a used one and give it a try.

13. DavyH

DavyH Elderly juvenile

Jim Root's 6'6" with matching hand size. I doubt he really notices the weight, and IIRC the neck profile is his design.

Tried one as well and didn't like it much. The Fender Custom Shop Flat Heads Slipknot used at one stage are far better guitars - the Showmaster has the best neck I've ever felt on any guitar.

14. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

Damn right it doesnt, I had a MIM strat and it was blinding. It's one of the only guitars I regret selling.

15. Scali

Scali Banned

They did! (It's Fender, not Ibanez :)).
    There's two models, pretty much black/white and reverse (see the Fender site).
    The 'reverse' one has a maple fretboard. A friend of mine just bought that one.

Edit: Oh wait, you mean you want them to make the entire body white, I guess?
    Well nevermind what I said then :)

16. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

That's right but it's still a Tele, not a superstrat a V or a Les Paul. That "it's not a Tele!" argument is getting redundant imo.

Justin Bailey likes this.
  17. Bloody_Inferno

Yeah basically a white version with maple board. While I would have prefered an Alder body, but maybe I'm just dreaming of wanting this:
    http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1355/espdevin001cx9.jpg

18. caughtinamosh

caughtinamosh SS.org-er

Set neck? No.

[​IMG]

However, I agree with the rest of your argument - this guitar pretty much goes against everything which a Tele is "meant" to be.

19. cow 7 sig

guys,dont get me wrong im not beating on MIM.i just assumed it was jap or US.sounds like theres not a lot of love for it lol but i still want to try one.i wanted pros and cons as there are none in stock where i am.