Jillard Armada 5 String Bass Run

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Jay Jillard, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard I make things.

[​IMG]

Hey everyone, hot off the heels of my (dare I say successful) guitar run last year, I've finally announced my first 2015 run.

I learned a lot from last years run, some things that worked well, some things I did well, and some things that did not go well and did not work. All in all I think I succeeded, you can read the whole thread (flaws and all) here:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/de...lard-empress-run-free-upgrades-available.html

and if you want, you can pick up one of the extra guitars here:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/dealers-group-buys/286612-stock-empresses-jillard-guitars.html

the main thing that happened from the run last year was a re-analyzing of how my business is set up, and has led to some serious changes in how I sell guitars.

Bringing me to my main point:

Runs, are the most economical way for you to get a guitar from me, but they will not be as customized as last year.

Same quality materials, just a bit more congruent. They are still customize-able, but not in every regard. This will allow me to offer the same quality stuff, but under 3k. I found it was all the little things (control layouts, hardware colors, different nut materials,pickups etc.) that really took the most time, and costed more money for me to make. I've decided to design the guitar runs that I really really want to build, with enough customization to fit your vision as well. I'm hoping the guitars I want to make are the same ones that you want to play. I'm leaving the very very custom stuff for my 'Unlimited Custom' builds, of which I only do 4 per year.

Lastly, my business is now registered. Part of what this means is you will get an invoice/receipt, and I will be fully accountable for what I have promised to do. My refund policy will be clearly explained before you pour money into the build.

Now, in keeping with this happy moment, this bass run is going to be KILLER. I'm really excited to expand my bass line more, as basses really intrigue me when it comes to design potential.

The run is currently set to be 5 builds, 4 of them having tops cut from the same walnut burl billet, the 5th i have to use this spalted maple, and i REALLY want to do a teal stain on it, with some turquoise fretboard accents and stuff, so i photoshoped the spalted maple to be blue. =]

If there is interest beyond these 5, I will invest in some more wood billets, and open up more slots instead of doing another small run of something else in the summer. All woods I offer will be selected first come first served, but all the wood is awesome, and there are lots of cool/unique ways that I am finishing these, so you will still be getting a custom guitar.

here are some pics of the tops, if you have any questions, please ask, i'm here to help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For top 'C' i'm hoping to do the voids as a natural sound hole, if that tickles your fancy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AxeHappy likes this.
  2. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Jay's wood working skills are top notch. And his communication was beyond flawless.

He is literally the anti, "Everything that everyone always bitches about with small shop guitar builders on SSO."

If I didn't have to pay for my Ormsby I would be jumping all over this run. You will *not* be disappointed.

3. -DTP-

-DTP- SS.org Regular

wow those are gorgeous!

4. Jay Jillard

5. Jay Jillard

got bored so i did another mockup.

I have some one piece curly walnut tops coming in that i might make available.. so i decided to try it out with my silver-wenge fretboard finish.

Only 5 days left before registration opens, yay!

[​IMG]

6. Jay Jillard

This begins TODAY! If you want to get in on this, get your alarms set for 5:00 to send off your emails! I will be contacting everyone in the order that the emails come into me, your email will hold your spot in line for 3 days until your $200 deposit is collected, which will secure your spot for the remainder of the run.

Tops will be chosen in the order of registration!

You won't want to miss out on this one, trust me.

7. Jlang

Jlang I am Megatron

Hahahaha totally got my bass player to lay a deposit down on one of these (or he is tonight) . Your welcome! :cool:

8. Jay Jillard

Haha thanks man! He mentioned his band-mate told him about this, but i wasn't sure where you saw it.

Just waiting on his deposit to clear, and he'll be good to go.

There's only 3 spots left, so if anyone else is planning to jump in, now's the time!

9. Marshman0

Marshman0 I play muzix

The seed was planted and i was doomed! These basses are 3nice5 me. So stoked to be in on this run!

10. Roland777

Roland777 SS.org Regular

"36.75.... let me guess - to be able to use D'Addario's super long scale-strings? :D

11. Jay Jillard

nope,although i've switched to using nyxl's on my guitars, so i was thinking about asking them what they could do for my basses, they are a great company to deal with.

but the original reason was that i found the full 37" was just not needed. a low B doesn't demand it, which is what i designed this bass for. it also allows the fan to be a little less extreme, if very slightly.

I thought about dropping it to a 36.5, but didn't want to mess with a good thing, since everyone liked the prototype.

12. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

That is a great looking bass! What is that bridge?

13. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Dang. One string away from making me check how much money I've got freed up for new gear.

14. Roland777

Roland777 SS.org Regular

"Do for your basses" as in make you custom strings? Shouldn't be necessary: standard long-scales are advertised as having a 36.25-inch wound length, which places the first taper just at the nut of my "35 toploading BTB555. The super long scales are advertised as having a "38 wound length, meaning that the same thing should occur at a "36.75 scale.

15. Jay Jillard

Thanks Tom, means a lot coming from you.

Bridges will be custom milled, and i'll probably use the hipshot "A' style saddles. I made custom bridges for my guitar run and they turned out great:

[​IMG]

If the run doesn't fill by the end of feb., i'll open it up to 4 and 6 string options, there's still 3 spots left to fill.

Yeah, i'm not worried about finding the lengths, I might just get them to put together a custom gauge set, because i think it would be cool.

16. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Well then here's hoping it doesn't end by then :lol:. I've been looking around for luthiers willing to make a multiscale fretless 6.

17. Roland777

Roland777 SS.org Regular

If you do, nod towards the increased proliferation of "37 Dingwalls and tell em to expand into that market as well! :-D Would make life easier for all of us to have the biggest (?) string-manufacturer on board with "37-compatible balanced string-tension sets.

18. Jay Jillard

Haha, yeah, i'll see what D'addario says =]

anyways, there are still 3 slots available, i'm actually surprised they haven't sold yet. If anyone knows any bass players interested please pass this along!

i've already gotten a leap on some of the prep work for this run, including a detailed tracking sheet for each guitar, which will help my brain not hurt as much this year, and keep everything really organized.
    [​IMG]

I've planned down all the ash being used for the run (some really nice stuff, picked it out from some of fbass' extra stock)

[​IMG]

and i fooled around for a few minutes with a couple finish ideas. One of the guys on the run asked if i could make the walnut bright purple, so I'm going to try that next.

[​IMG]

19. Jay Jillard

Would anyone be interested if I offered a 4 string option (same price though)

I'm running a custom 4 string Armada for a friend, so i could likely add a 4 string option into this run. Still trying to sell out these last few spots.

20. Jay Jillard

Hey guys, there was a guy on the run from UK who had to drop out due to sudden financial reasons, really big bummer for both of us. He was a mod on a UK bass forum so i was looking forward for that overseas exposure.

anyways, he already had his 200 deposit in, so if anyone wants to take over his spot with this top, i can offer you 200 off, only until feb 28th.

[​IMG]

The run is also now open to a 4 string option (same price)
    I'm also adding in the choice between volume/tone/blend and volume/volume/tone, since opinions are pretty split between those options.

so tops 'C' 'D' and 'E' are still available. here are a couple mockups from some other clients that i liked, but they eventually decided on some other things. (the body wood may also be stained to match or contrast the top. Bursts are also no extra cost.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd really like to sell these last couple spots before main construction starts in march, thanks guys!