Jeff Loomis leaving schecter?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by blacai, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Yeah, but can you wear affliction Ts while playing a Jackson? Schecter's are cool and all, but I get the feeling you kinda have to wear an affliction T or some shirt with a bullshit design that looks like some hip tattoo artist of the month did the artwork for.

2. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Im more concerned about never seein a blondie Jackson player

3. Spaced Out Ace

"Blondes not hot." - Big Shaq

And what? Was Adrian Vandenberg not good enough for you in the 80s? :lol:

4. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

I disagree, but I also don't make my living making music. I play in a fairly popular local metal band, we get called up a couple times a year to support bands like Biohazard, Pro Pain, Agnostic Front etc. i.e. those bands that are usually scraping by making a living playing music. They have to tour most of the year and their heyday has passed ;)

Point is, people hardly ever buy our CD, but our shirts sell out :)

5. Spaced Out Ace

This insinuates that the majority of the people at the gig have never bought one piece of music from the artist, and that buying said music would mean more than buying a ticket. I agree with the notion that if we don't buy a band's music, then we'll have less bands to enjoy, but I pay for my music, thanks. The only times I do not are when it's incredibly rare, overpriced, OOP, and/or likely to end up in me buying some fake CD-R with sticker printed on to look "real."

In addition, the "Motown" deals and 360 deals are fucking garbage. Labels should be used to distribute albums, not own them outright. Crowd fund albums, and have a label distribute it. Keep your songwriting, masters, and publishing. Don't sign deals where a record company allows the producer to make more per album sold than the band themselves as was the case with Van Halen's early albums. Do not sign a deal where the record company can wet their beak in every piece of the pie. ie, licensing songs to movies and merch being the biggest slices.

6. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

I remember Adrian playing LPs, Peaveys, a Schec, a Esp Horizon but honestly never a Jackson :spock:

ArtDecade likes this.
  7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The thought of Loomis soloing on a Lithium bridge in a 27" maple/swamp ash combo makes me nauseous.

Very unpopular opinion but thats my fav work of his and any other G3/virtuosos's work in a band with a singer. :shrug:

:agreed:

Jeff had several songs wrote for the new album and all were turned down. Alissa said the same thing in a recent interview that she wasn't allowed wrote for War Eternal. So you've got two songwriters with multiple albums on their belt having their ideas brushed off by Michael Amott. Whats the point of having them in the band? Psalm of Lydia is the most Arch Enemy riff since Anthems of Rebellion, Loomis is a perfect fit to contribute ideas. I've tabbed a few songs off AE's latest album and I'm sure in a lot of places Loomis isn't even playing the rhythm and harmony leads.

AxeHappy, Masoo2 and Velokki like this.
  8. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Alissa said in an interview that she also thought Jeffs ideas went to waste in Arch Enemy and that he contributed to her solo album.

Man, imagine a Nevermore-style band with Alissa on vocals, that would be a dream come true for me. There's way too few metal bands out there that have good harsh female vocals.

9. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Poor Doyle. I bet he was hoping to be lead co-writer.

SJShinn likes this.
  10. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Jeff Hanneman :mf666:

11. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

Randy Rhoads

MetalGravy and Unleash The Fury like this.
  12. dshea19

dshea19 SS.org Regular

Robin Crosby

13. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Phil Collen of Def Lep ... still on the roster.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  14. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Even if it were true (which it isn't), why are you concerned about that?

15. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Oh come on, just kiddn :shrug:

16. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Back on track. We all know one company in particular is trying to Cort him.

17. DevinShidaker

DevinShidaker "AN IDIOT"

I play music for a living, and the money we make indirectly from album sales is much more important than the money we would see from royalties and mechanical royalties. Album sales, especially during the first week, have a huge impact on the tours you will be put on and the amount of money you are paid. You might be a band that consistently fills a room, but if your sales aren't up, promoters will not want to pay top dollar to get you in their city, as they generally try to pay as little as possible (which I don't blame them for, it is a business). If you really like a band, buy their record when it comes out. Personally, I think that streaming is fine, I also think "stealing" is permissible, I don't really care as long as people are listening. That being said, it's nice to have a record that does well so that you can continue touring and paying the bills without being too stressed. I'm lucky enough that my band can tour and make "good" money, but I still work when I'm home. I'm not complaining about that, and I love my job, but I would REALLY love to be able to focus most of my efforts on music.

18. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

@DevinShidaker I appreciate and respect that. I think the whole industry is just going to have to adjust to a huge shift that's already well under way. When some of the most popular people in a genre or market have millions of Youtube followers and often zero albums, it's a predicament. Bands like yours that have been around are stuck in the mix. Listeners like me are too. To be totally honest, I probably download somewhere between 5-15 new albums a year of which 3 get on my long term listening rotation, in which case, I usually end up buying a CD so I can have it in the car when I forget my ipod.
    IMO, the art of the album was hit by the CD and then lost to the MP3. Most new stuff I listen to can be great, but without having some physical thing I forget about it more often than not because the experience of "the album" was lost in iTunes.
    So buy the CD? I hate the clutter and the inevitable wrecking when I try to condense them in the car. I love records, but when I went through the hassle of switching over to MP3s, I sold it all. At this point, I'm not going back to records, even though I think about it. Half the old stuff I've downloaded in the past ten years are albums that I bought previously, most of which I had bought on vinyl and/or CD/cassette. Some, I've had all three.
    TL;DR: the internet is great for getting music, but it totally sucks for making it memorable. Hope long time bands can work through the transition that the industry is inevitably going to have to undergo.

And I pity the touring band these days. My last tour was in 2010 on a short stint we did with Early Graves and Funeral Pyre. The shows sucked, few came, the owner of the club the last day cancelled because he double booked and the other show sold more tickets. Went home further in debt and irritated that we played with bands I loved and people weren't going to bother coming out to see them. Then two weeks later, EG/FP wreck on the West Coast. Mack from EG died on the site. Pretty much did me in on the idea completely.

lewis likes this.
  19. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

I think he meant Doug Aldirch, also of whitesnake.... but not while he played these. And not when Vandenberg was in Whitesnake either.
    His time with Jackson was lion and bad moon rising era.
    [​IMG]

20. DevinShidaker

DevinShidaker "AN IDIOT"

Man, I remember that wreck, that was horrible.

I mainly buy music on Vinyl now just because I get that huge physical artwork, some cool vinyl colorway, and most vinyls include a digital download code. But even MP3 sales help, but it definitely is not the same experience. I used to love going to my local Media Play before school on record release days to pick up new stuff, but alas those days are gone.

ANYWAYS, That Jeff Loomis sure knows how to play the guitar, am I right?

zappatton2 and AxeHappy like this.