Jeff Loomis leaving schecter?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by blacai, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

It probably is a thing among quite a few angled headstock guitar brands that angle their headstocks too far.

lewis likes this.
  2. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Seeing those pics TOTALLY reminds me of that live video of Dime shredding a Dean with the broken headstock and it was still in tune because of the locking nut!

mpexus and lewis like this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

was the first thing i thought too.

he was too good. God sake what a legend. Thinking about his demise infuriates me.

but yeah he was even giving customers a heads up on dean back then. I also remember seeing/reading Matt Heafy say that was why the band dropped their Dean endorsements after Shogun. Literally they kept breaking well too easy on their tours. Especially headstocks.

a shame though because that Matt Heafy ML signature was probably my favourite Dean and the only one I have genuinely loved the look of. The Corey sig just looked too much like a Jackson to be wowed by it.

4. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I agree how Corey's sig looked a lot like a Jackson. Hell his signature Dean looked like his current Jackson V lol

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    lewis likes this.
  5. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

Sad fact is, 95% of the people who meet up at concerts and "support" you are the same people robbing you online and unless you're Kiss or Maiden, the amount of trinkets you push on people make little difference to that fact. Why would anyone bother to buy a band-shirt or a pin if they don't even bother to buy the album?

The 1% of the 1% within the instrument-industry is the last bastion of livelihood thru musicianship.

6. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

A lot of people buy merch even if they don't buy the album. And if I pay $70 for a show ticket and a shirt for $30 for most bands that's already more than the cost of buying all their recorded material (obviously not all the money goes to the artist no matter what you purchase). Anyway, I'm not defending downloading music, but I have my doubts album sales are the core part of any touring artist's income.

feilong29 likes this.
  7. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Dean have been known to make a good instrument from time to time however.

[​IMG]

However, in recent years it does seem that they've just completely forgone any aspirations of quality and started throwing out some total cra[p. When I say "recent", I mean ever since Dime died and they realised they could push crappy "signature" guitars on metal guitarists, who'd lap them up despite the design flaws, shoddy workmanship and lack of QC.

8. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

If the band-logo itself is a social statement, sure. But the number of bands in that category is and has always been small.

The numbers don't add up when you consider how many people used to buy music in physical format (when downloading wasn't an option) as opposed to the number of people going to concerts and buying shirts.

Not anymore it isn't, but it used to be substansial. In the movie-industry, vhs/dvd/bluray facilitates cinemas, cinemas facilitates vhs/dvd/bluray, they're in a symbiotic relationship and in tandem they facilitate the production of movies. Take one part out, the dominos fall. It's the same way with the music industry.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Sermo Lupi likes this.
  9. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

So Jeffs current signature models are discontinued, and NAMM is like five minutes away, but you're all sure that Jeff isn't going to continue working with Schecter? I assume that they'll show a new sig model at NAMM :shrug:

lewis likes this.
  10. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

Robber here. I pay for a tiny portion of the music I listen to. Used to run a distro, had a ton of records and CDs, but what can I say, if the band is solid enough, I'm a pretty damn solid supporter and will buy merch and shit like that. Do what I can when I can. I've put bands up, bought them food, booked tons of shows, etc.
    That said, I give my music out free, including CDs (Anyone want some? Or a case?). Writing is my thing and I dump thousands of hours into it and thousands of dollars into it. I give out what I can, often more than I should, but ask that people who want physical books pay for them. I wouldn't treat a band any different.
    Robbing would be to steal their merch. I know people think it's a world ending thing to download music, but c'mon, we all do it. We watch stuff on Youtube. Whatever. Right thing to do? Blah, blah, whatever. I'm not telling people what they should do. I seriously don't care.
    Regardless, to think that buying merch or tickets doesn't help a band is straight up bullshit. In the scheme of things, none of the bands most of us are supporting are huge or making it big. They're stoked that you're there to support them. They're stoked when you give a high five and tell them they killed it. And when they pocket $5-10 per shirt or whatever at a show, they are dependent upon that. If you want to not go broke on tour, then $300 guarantees go a long way. They get that if enough people come to see them. That's not making money, that's not going broke. So they need you to show up because that $300 guarantee is high probably even for most of the bands you love. Every bit of income on tour or surrounding it helps. Nothing gives them more than buying from their bandcamp or whatever, but second to that, thinking that if you "rob" them by downloading their music that you've committed some absolute wrong and aren't going to help them in the long run is just hilarious.
    Because have you seen what most metal bands make in royalty checks? Now that shit is robbery.

fps and prlgmnr like this.
  11. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

All good points. As Myles Kennedy put it in one interview I saw with him and Slash, you can't be a 'mailbox musician' anymore--meaning you can't put out an album every couple of years, not tour it, and sit on your ass as cheques roll in through the mail slot. In some ways that's a good thing, as it encourages bands to tour and create other revenue streams (meet-and-greets, greater variety of merch products, more signature music gear, etc.), but there's two sides to that, of course. In truth, bands are probably obligated to tour, not encouraged; this is something that I can't imagine sits well with all artists. Especially the ones playing for scratch instead of kingly sums...bands in most metal subgenres, in other words. Then there's the argument that the consumer gets overwhelmed with merchandise rather than rewarded, as so much of it is just bullshit merch for the sake of it. I'm a big fan of Dream Theater, but tie-in mobile apps? Backpacks? Thermo-painted mugs? Really? I don't see this side of the music business being good for them OR me.

Artists speak positively about all this because they practically have to. But if you listen to the way they phrase some of their answers to questions about changes in the music business, you can tell they're just making the best of a situation ultimately out of their control. Meanwhile, I find that most people who defend the status quo give implicit endorsements of piracy, usually on one or more of the following grounds:

1. Since the technology to pirate exists, content providers must provide a service of similar convenience if they want to fight for a consumer's dollar. Because if they don't, the consumers will follow the path of least resistance and pirate anyway, and therefore it's not just a failing of morals. It becomes philosophical debate about technology.
    2. The existential conundrum: i.e. many bands wouldn't have reached the public eye if they hadn't made their music available for free in the first place. Thus you cannot steal a product that could not have existed in this theorised world before digital delivery. Hand in hand with this argument is usually some statement about living in a Creative Renaissance: all this home recording tech, and all these platforms to gain exposure...basically, you're looking a gift horse in the mouth if you so much as utter the word 'stealing'.
    Many other similar arguments could be produced. They each have their merits. But what leaves me wringing my hands is that...yeah, piracy is still theft. Hell, even with streaming services and all that content that we now have access to, they were not created for the benefit of the artist and their attempts at 'exposure'. They were created as a hack solution to address the rampant problem of piracy. It's a bit like vowing to give up all your personal possessions if we suddenly lived in a world without door locks. Sure, there's plenty of benefits to a sharing economy in which you can just borrow your neighbour's stuff at-will, but it doesn't mesh so well with the idea of a 'home' as we know it today. It's just such a huge conceptual change.

Sadly, this isn't as much of a digression as I hope it would be. You see many of the effects of these choices play out on this board, including this very thread. Bulb has spokenly optimistically but frankly about the tempered expectations one should have of today's music business. And we've seen at least a handful of artists launch their own companies or lines of products now. In those cases, not all were simply a result of doubling down on the new opportunities of the Internet, they were also a direct result of music becoming 'free' and piracy having won out in the end.

I suppose it all comes down to a cost/benefit analysis. Opinions will differ on whether we're in a better spot today than 20 years ago. Personally, I think the industry looks like a hellscape. All the same, I can't help but feel that MOST (not all) defenses of the status quo take refuge in convoluted arguments about technological advancement to arrive at a convenient defense of stealing an album. Because who's not relieved when you realise you don't have to pay. I'm not saying the music industry wasn't a den of thieves for decades, but damn, why do musicians have to hussle so hard these days to put food on the table? Is it fair for Jeff Loomis to be reading wiki articles on LLCs on his down time, rather than writing more music for another album? Should the next generation of musicians study for the bar exam rather than theory class if this is the way things are going? Seems a bit over-complicated, you know?

fps and Ebony like this.
  12. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

Well, I did phrase it "make little difference" for a reason.

In this instance I use the word "robbery" extremely loosely. I'm not an idealist, I'm a robber too and like you I've spent big bucks on music. I'm not saying it is an "absolute wrong" either, but I do believe we need to return to somekind of state where people have to pay for music (although not to the degree we did before) if music is to survive.

When we don't pay people for the services they provide to us, we call it robbery. We're not helping people we rob because we buy other stuff from them. This is the reality of the situation.

13. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I like your avatar

14. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

She likes you too.

noise in my mind likes this.
  15. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Hardly, afaik there was some clash between him and the brand

16. rami80

rami80 SS.org Regular

Yeah I heard something similar, he, for some reason, refused to renew his contract with them.

17. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

When I bought my first sevenstring years ago I briefly contemplated getting a Loomis sig since I really loved his playing, but I hated every schecter I had played so I went Carvin instead. Caparison would be a cool landing spot imo, but I don't know how much business sense that might make. Jackson would be fine, ESP seems like they would do something really similar to his current sig.

18. hexfactor

hexfactor SS.org Regular

Caparison would love to have him

19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Insert $2.8-3.5k black or red superstrat

wannabguitarist and Edika like this.
  20. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

I bet Jackson will get the guy. They haz money.