Jeff Loomis leaving schecter?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by blacai, Dec 23, 2017.

1. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I wouldn't necessarily think of the Merrow line as a traditional artist signature. I've always considered it a project to design 7-string guitars from the perspective of someone who really is immersed with them in the context of a particular genre. Maybe something like a design consultant. His guitars sure seem to sell well, from what I can tell just seeing how many are out there and how the line keeps progressing and expanding.

manu80 likes this.
  2. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

interesting.

sezna likes this.
  3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I just watched that today and I think one issue a lot of people have with the Loomis Jackson Kelly is the Floyd 1500 series. He says why he chose that, the allen tightened trem arm Vs the screw on of the OFR, but isn't it possible to swap the trem arm holder on an OFR to have the allen screw tightened arm? I mean for him as well as for the price and limited number these are it's not that much of a hassle. Unless there are physical limitations in terms of the opening size for the trem arm holder.

4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Almost 7k for a bunk LFR. Fucking sweet, dude! I'd roll my eyes, but the amount of eye rolling would cause them to go a complete circle around the planet, and I'm not sure if I can, at that point, get them back into my eye sockets.

Mathemagician likes this.
  5. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I'm not sure if it is possible but even if it was, it would end up being a special order item which would probably cost more than having an OFR in there standard. If it's Jeff's preference then so be it.

Regarding the price, Loomis on an Instagram post mentioned that while the MSRP is 6666.66, he reckons street will be closer to $4800US. Still expensive though.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Same MSRP as the USA Mick Thomson, so probably the same $5k street price.

7. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I do get that and I'm sure if they made a special order it would cost more but I was more thinking like it's 40-50 guitars made? Buying additional arm rests to replace on the OFR's would not cost that much more, I think it's one is about 10 dollars? The only real additional cost would be the time it would take the Jackson custom shop guys to remove the regular trem arm and put in the 1500 series one which would be maybe 15 minutes per unit? Which would translate to 10-13 hours of additional labor maybe? I'm just not sure the base plate would be different enough between the 1500 and the OFR as I had the impression the 1500 was a 1000 series with some additional bells and whistles. It might be.

But I do agree, his choice for sure and if I had the money the 1500 series tremolo would not deter me from getting it as it's a sexy ass guitar. It was just a mental excersize from my part whether the validity of his statement was correct and the fact that people are complaining about the price with what they consider an inferior trem system to the OFR.

@MaxOfMetal price for the model in the UK advertised at £4389.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. MaxOfMetal

Hey, this is Jackson CS labor, so 10 hours is like $2000...per guitar. :lol:

setsuna7, Vyn and Edika like this.
  9. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

Is it just me or is Jackson increasing its artist roster quite a bit the last 2-3 years? Interesting to try out a Jackson Loomis and compare it with the Schecter 7 he once endorsed. I appreciated that guitar despite never bonding with the neck or sound.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

They absolutely are. As is their Charvel brand too. You see how many new models have come out recently? Is very nice. Hopefully someone will spec out a decent pro 6 string Rhoads/warrior.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Isnt Peter Wichers their AR guy? Dude must kick ass with that job.

12. MaxOfMetal

They grabbed Mike Taft too.

13. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Hoping the quality will be good, better than things we've seen coming from Jackson Custom Shop lately.

14. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I found his excuses kind of lame in that Ola video.

"Yeah I just wanted to play other guitars on stage you know? I have strats, LPs, Jacksons..... so I took a Jackson sig deal where for sure I can't play anything else on stage"

15. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if there was something written into his contract where he could use other guitars when he wants to. The Schecter contract sounds like it was much more restrictive.

16. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Well he likes to play Strats for sure, that's another reason why he chose Jackson, which is essentially Metalfender.

17. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Isn't Jackson owned by Fender too? Or am I mixing something up? So if it's restricted, he might still be allowed to play the same company's guitars... Or something.

18. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Yep, Jackson IS owned by Fender, which explains a lot

19. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

I haven't been paying much attention I admit. I know about the infamous 23 fretter :lol:, any other examples you can point too? Not that I don't believe you, just curious/interested really

20. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Good move from Jackson to ask him to get the kelly shape so they can relaunch the model.