JCM 900 4100 Dual reverb.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by finsgar, Oct 23, 2015.

1. finsgar

finsgar SS.org Regular

So I'm about to buy a Marshall 1960a cab for real cheap. I also have a PRS stealth 2x12 that's like new that I'm trying to trade for another amp or cab. Anyways here's my deal... I saw a JCM 900 4100 for sale on cl and asked if he'd trade for my PRS cab he said he's interested but I'm seeing some crazy mixed opinions online of this amp. So what do you guys think? I just bought an orange rocker 30 as well. I play in a couple of different genres but I was planning on using the JCM for a thrash/hardcore band I'm in. Also do you think it's a good trade? I also play in a sort of post hardcore band that uses way less gain. Think touché Amoré and that sort of stuff.

2. GraemeH

GraemeH SS.org Regular

The 900 is my favourite amp for anything this side of metal. Everyone covets the 800, but comparing my friend's 800 to the 900 I play through at the rehearsal studio and the 2000 I own, I find the 900 has more bite just where I want it in the spectrum. To me going from the 800 to the 900 is like going from old strings to new strings.

The nice thing about the 800 being the mythologized one, the 900s are comparatively dirt cheap on the market.

But hey, I'm the one guy in the world who doesn't like Vintage 30s or SM57s so maybe I'm just the mad outlier.

3. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

The 4100/4500 are great amps.

I could go on about how to get the best sound/tones outta them, but I'm sure if you've been researching them you've come across some of my opinions and advice in my posts over at the marshallforum.com

In short. The right tubes in the right spots, a good full tune-up, and one capacitor change can really take these amps to the next level.

4. petersenb9

petersenb9 SS.org Regular

A JCM 900 with a boost is awesome. Most people complain about the 900 not being as good as the 800, but they are different beasts. That being said, they are both great.

5. Jaxcharvel

Jaxcharvel SS.org Regular

The 4100 was my first "real" amp. I loved that thing, and when eq'd properly they sound amazing. For a thrash project it'd be perfect. I still wish i'd never gotten rid of it, but my Splawn fills it's shoes pretty well.

6. JackDaniels

JackDaniels SS.org Regular

I've used several 900s on tour as well as 800s and 2000s. While the 900s aren't my favorite they aren't as bad as people say they are and for as cheap as you can get them it's worth it to put some money and get it switched over to the right set of tubes. They came stock with 5881s but with some modifying you can get them to take 6l6s. Then you'll have yourself an acceptable Marshall

7. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

I've never played a 900, but it does seem like all the complaints on the net about it boil down to "I don't like the 900 because it's not an 800". In fact, I think it's a rule among gear forums that you're supposed to dis anything Marshall has made after the 800.
    :nuts:

8. Bloodshredder

Bloodshredder SS.org Regular

The 900 is very versatile. Stick a boost in front of it and start chugging. Keep it in crunch and it will rock out more than just fine.
    You already said everything about the 800 to 900 comparison. Different beasts. But both are the latter.