JBM100, Axe Fx II XL, and a ton of Delays

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by TheTrooper, Nov 11, 2015.

1. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

Hey everybody,
    I was doing some tweaks yesterday on a Clean Patch that I made, and came up with this sort of Progg-y / Abient-ish idea.
    All the sounds are the second position (inner coils) of my JBM100, and that thing does clean stuff so damn well, never gets lost in effects, no matter how much stuff you put in.

If anybody is interested in the patch, don't be afraid to hit me up, I will definetly share it with you.

Thanks for listening.

[SC][/SC]https://soundcloud.com/user-159218915/collapsing[SC][/SC]

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

Wow that was ethereal, loved that so much. I've been GASing mad hard for a JBM since it was in a dream of mine the other day lol. How do you like it?

3. JDizzle

JDizzle SS.org Regular

This isn't too dissimilar to an ambient clean sound I started working on with my Flashback (no Axe-Fx for me) just last weekend:
    https://soundcloud.com/jdizzle1992/ambient-clean-test

Yours is more effect laden though, very ethereal sounding, ideal for arpeggiated chords. I've been looking at replacing the neck pickup in my Parker for something good at high gain solos and ambient cleans. Maybe a Titan is the solution!

4. TheTrooper

Hey Thanks!
    The JBM is just amazing. I did a pretty extensive review that i posted a couple of weeks ago: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/302483-super-late-ngd-ibanez-jbm100-review.html

Yeah, it's a pretty wet preset.
    There is a Delay (the main one) that implodes in itself and becomes a bonafide Super Reverb. Then, there is a Crystal MTDLY panned 100%R
    and an octave higher reverb that gives that "dreamy" atmosphere.
    The Titans are really really great pickups. Neck High gain lead is just THE high gain lead. So smooth and sweet.
    It's really cool when it's wired in parallel, both with a clean sound and a dirty sound, particularly if not too gainy.

Jake and DiMarzio nailed the tones; these pickups are my favorite DiMarzios, and I have/had tried many.
    The fact that they can stand that much effects/ambient, is unbelievable.

5. Yianni54

Yianni54 SS.org Regular

Hey man I've been thinking of getting a set of Titans for my PRS custom 24. Debating on if I should get dominions however. Have you tried both and how do they compare? Thanks

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Nice tones! I have a set of Titans in my LTD EC-1000 and they sound great. Only downside about the Titans for me is that the bridge is too narrow and compressed and I like something with a wide frequency spectrum for a bigger/wider/thicker sound. Overall still a great set though, and when it comes to effects, the Titans absolutely blow every other pickup I've tried out of the water.

7. TheTrooper

Never tried Dominions dude, but If you're looking for higher output without changing completely the sound of the PRS maybe you could try Luke's Dimarzios Transition.

Thanks Akira! :cheers:
    I really like the Titan Bridge actually, It's probably my favorite bridge PU as of now.

I like the more midrange pushed sound it has and its "narrowness" really helps to tame the annoying high frequencies that most bridge PUs have.
    I don't really feel it too compressed (I think it's in line with the other high output DiMarzios) and it's really voiced to give you the full freq. spectrum that avoids mushy/muddy sounds, but that really changes with each guitar.
    As we all know, everything changes if we have a Bolt on Neck vs a Neck Through and so on.

I haven't tried it in E standard tuning yet (I will probably keep the JBM in D until I pick up a 7 strings, the maybe put it in Drop-C) but the Titans are perfect in D standard.

I can tell that they shine a LOT with Marshall-y/British/6160/Friedman type Amps, since that's what Jake mostly uses, but 99% of the times I run Boogies with a tons of Mids and with Presence extremely low, and still, no mushy sounds considering that Boogies are really Mid centered and gets flubby with minimum bass adjustment (I keep the Bass control around 1.10 on the Axe for Lead sounds and slightly higher for Rhythm, since the lower tuning) so yeah, they are really versatile.
    The 5-way swith gives you great combinations and that's cool too.

8. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

love the track man, I don't my Eleven Rack could sound that layered haha. Maybe I need to upgrade to an Axe-FX!

9. TheTrooper

Thanks dude :wavey:
    Yep, the Axe Fx makes everything easier.