Jazzmaster inspired ERG's

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Tom Drinkwater, Nov 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

(subscribes to thread; wanders off to look up two Facebook pages)

OAF == Oakland Axe Factory?

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Si, senor.

3. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

Parts are almost done for a few JM style 7's. Will post pics when they arrive in a few weeks.

4. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

Fast Guitars has some pics up of them on their facebook page right?

5. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Oh man. The one with the bound ebony fretboard and block inlays is right up my street.

6. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

Yeah, I'm think one of these will make an excellent companion to my incoming Falcon 8 whenever I have the cash lying around.

7. Tom Drinkwater

Kevin really got those done quickly!! I'll get some more pics and post here when they arrive.

Some fun facts on these

The basic specs are essentially the same but we're splitting the model up into two versions, a stripped down guitar for OAF and a much higher spec'd version for FAST.

OAF key features
    Hipshot solo bridges
    Lace Pickups

FAST Guitars key features
    ABM bridges
    BKP pickups
    binding
    block inlays

8. MetalGravy

MetalGravy Making a meat suit

I'm not seeing any pictures.

9. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

10. Tom Drinkwater

I'll do some pics here when they arrive at my shop! I haven't been this excited about guitars for a while!!!

11. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Oh man. I'm really going to be tempted by a 6 string one of these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Hollowway

It's weird how vintagey it looks, and you almost don't even notice that it's a 7 string. That's so cool! Tom (and Kevin) have such cool designs because they don't make the super aggressive shaped ERGs. Not that I don't like the aggressive shape, but it's definitely cool to see the standard strat shape, the jm, etc., all with 7 and 8 strings, fanned frets, long scale lengths, etc. It reminds me of the story of why the first lightbulbs and lamps were designed to look like gas lights. The idea was that if you introduce a new technology in a new form you're going to get a small niche "early adopter" market. But if you hide the new technology in an old, comfortable, form, people don't get threatened and weirded out by it as much. If ERGs are to catch on in a way that would supplant the vast majority of sixxers, it's more likely going to happen with a strat or jm, etc. as a vehicle for that change, than a pointy looking metal machine. I'll be interested to see if these make an impact in the market, in the sense that bigger brands start to design more classic shapes with fans and ERG numbers of strings, and attempt to appeal to more traditional players. Probably not, but I like to talk, so I'm gonna keep right on typing. :lol:

13. Tom Drinkwater

[SC][/SC]Here are a couple of pics from this morning.

14. Hollowway

Tom, were these 7 string only, or where you considering making 8s?

15. Tom Drinkwater

We have two different 8 string variants programmed for the JazzMonster series. The first one shares a neck with the ss8. The second has a 26.5" to 28" scale.

As you probably noticed from the pics Kevin and I are essentially sharing this model but each brand will have some different appointments. The OAF version will feature our usual black OAF branded Lace Alumitones, Hipshot solo bridges and an array of natural and solid finishes on alder or ash bodies. The Fast Guitars JM will be available with BKP's, ABM, binding, flame tops, inlays etc. The playability and quality are the same between both guitars.

I dont have the exact pricing worked out just yet but i would like to see the OAF JazzMonster 7 starting at around $1700 give or take including an skb hybrid case. I assume the Fast Guitars version will be more given the added cost of the base features.

16. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

17. Tom Drinkwater

Hey guys, here's the latest news on the JM front.

Fast Guitars is revamping their JM to better mesh with their current lineup which means there will be some design updates on those models. I assume that means the new guitars will be getting that super cool two bolt neck attachment among other interesting and drool worthy features found on other Fast Guitars models. Fast Guitars is also doing some custom JM 8's which is very exciting. I don't have any of the juicy details on specs but I'm sure Kevin will be able to accommodate pretty much anything you throw at him. I have received some really good positive feedback from folks that got to play the Fast Guitars JM at NAMM which I believe has since been sold which is no shocker because it is a sick, sick guitar. Ordering info and pricing available at
    info @ fastguitars . com

We are also doing our first Oakland Axe Factory JazzMonster 8 right now with OEM support from Fast Guitars. This first model will share the SS8 neck (25.5" to 27") and feature BKP pickups and lots of Hipshot bits. Build times should be under 10 weeks in most cases. Now that the OAF and Fast JM's are officially separate both brands will be offering their own versions with options ranging from the basic to the extravagant. Ordering info for Oakland Axe Factory instruments is available at oafstore @ yahoo.com

18. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Inb4 hollowway buys another 8 string :lol:

19. Hollowway

Lol, ya got me! I reeeeaaaallllyyyy want one, but I think I'm gonna go for a 10. MFKitten, Tom (and T. Winspear, I think too) have all been talking about doing a 10 for a possible run. It's looking like there will be no run, cuz not a lot of activity in that thread, but I think I'm going to work on something and get it built! I'd love to use the JM shape, but it'll probably need something with a lower horn, so the length of the FB can be pushed into the body some, and still give access to the higher frets.

20. asher

asher So Did We

I would lurrrrrve a 7 string JM!

...but I'm not going to lie, I'd want it with the P90s, the funky circuitry and the vintage trem, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.