Javier Reyes got a Claas.. savagery ensued

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by KnightBrolaire, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

I was referring to the "straight bridge" part and my uncertainty if that's really the part that matters on a multi-scale....basically fishing for a confirmation or correction ;)

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

;)

Zhysick likes this.
  3. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

Wow......just....yeah, best just shoot me now :facepalm:
    About as much attention to detail as some of those guitars!

AxeHappy and A-Branger like this.
  4. MaxOfMetal

You are totally correct though, a slanted or straight tailpiece doesn't really mean anything. It's all about the slant of the bridge itself, where the strings sit in thier saddles.

A lot of hollow bodies have ornate, often slanted tailpieces, even though they're single scale, because the bridge is still straight.

AxeHappy and Dcm81 like this.
  5. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

Small but annoying detail: in the first of those Holy Grail show guitars it seems like the pickup is fixed with torx key screws. Why?! What are the odds you've got a fitting key at hand when you want to adjust the pickups. And not only that, but with countersunk heads. You do not use countersunk heads against metal unless the hole is also countersunk! Argh! Is he building a terrace or a guitar?

Most diy guys have a well thought variety of different screws for each part. For commercial purposes that should be obvious.

6. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

The pickup routing still looks off in the first photo, the left bridge pickup ear cavity looks a little off on the bridge and the neck on the same side it appears as though it is screwed in off centre. Might just be me but it still looks off. It does appear to be a fair improvement though.

7. j3ps3

j3ps3 SS.org Regular

Saw them in person at Holy Grail as we were there with our class of lutherie school. I've only been building instruments for two years but even to me they looked pretty shoddy when inspecting more carefully. You could see sanding scratches and stuff like that. The guy also was a giant douche. Friend has a habit of testing instruments with sweep picking and immediate comment was that "You can't play that kind of stuff with my instruments". Friend also tried to ask questions about the instrument but was completely ignored. I was really looking forward to see these instruments in person, but eh. The way he acted turned me away from the whole brand.

Also, I can't for my life believe, that these will keep in tune without the nut. At least that's my experience with instruments with just a zero fret. One bend and that's pretty much it.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 6:14 PM
    AxeHappy, ikarus, Ebony and 3 others like this.
  8. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

'Ripping off' is a loaded phrase to use, guitar designers are always ripping each other off, especially superstrats. Didn't mean to imply Claas invented that neck joint, but it's done better by Claas.
    The Stephens and Toone designs are more obstructed on the back of the neck because of that, and are much more ugly to my eyes.
    Personally i don't care about the neck pickup not being up against the highest fret, that position is too warm and boomy for me to be useful and this tradition causes many problems in guitar design.
    I also have strange taste in neck heels, i am not comfortable playing any fret higher than any obstruction on the back of the neck. Claas are almost completely unobstructed behind most of the highest fret, which is something you very rarely see.
    I agree, however it is not nearly as unobstructed as the Class, the construction is smoothly getting thicker in the area where the Claas has unchanged neck thickness.
    I don't care about text on a pickup. It's only upside-down because the guitar is neck upwards, if the guitar was horizontal they are sideways. They may be wired on the side so perhaps the orientation was chosen to reduce wire lengths or some construction reason (i wonder, although of course it's possible there's no good reason due to the sloppiness) that's more important than upsidedown text.

To be clear though, i am not disputing any quality and sloppiness issues with Claas.

9. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

+1 for the zero fret causing headaches without a nut right behind it. Besides, I don't think very much of these paranoid neck joints. However, I actually had a longer chat with Alex (Claas) at Holy Grail 2016 and he's a really nice guy.

10. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

My steinberger has a zero fret with a similar amount of string length behind it and is stable as hell on tuning. It's really not an issue when there's only an inch or so of length behind the zero fret.

I think Claas's design is very cool, albeit with some room for refinement. Build quality might not be there, but it seems to me like people are throwing the baby out with the bathwater when they start bashing on the ideas rather than the execution.

Randy likes this.
  11. GuitarBizarre

I don't consider torx heads to be an annoyance, personally.

Firstly, any cheap quid-store set of tool bits, will come with some torx in.

Secondly, torx screws are less likely to get mashed through use, whereas philips head screws are designed to cam out. Problem is, soft philips screws when they cam out also get mashed and stripped. Torx doesn't do that NEARLY as readily.

If I could, I'd have hex or torx for every screw on all of my instruments, solely because I'm sick of having to use elastic bands in the top of philips head screws to get them to move without stripping, after 5 years of sweat, dust, grime and use takes it's toll on the heads.

Randy and KnightBrolaire like this.
  12. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

I agree that they're more durable and pleasant to use, but alas nowhere near a global standard. My point was that it was obviously not a choice based on design, but rather a "f*** I'm out of screws, well I'll just grab some of these" kind of thing that definitely does not give an image of a luthier that pays attention to details.

13. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

14. GuitarBizarre

*shrug*

It might be that, but if I were starting a luthier's business tomorrow, you bet your ass I'd put torx on everything and throw a set of bits in the case.

15. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I don't like the design at all, but I assure you the Torx screws were intentional and not a f*** I'm out of screws situation.

My Mayones uses Torx to bolt down the neck, and also if it's for something that is more prone to needing adjustments such as pickups, I'm sure the proper tool will be included with the guitar.

Phillips screws are the most garbage design that somehow became the standard even though, Roberts and Torx and Hex are all superior just for the lack of stripping the head alone.

AxeHappy, Randy and KnightBrolaire like this.
  16. MaxOfMetal

I’m surprised Hex isn’t used on pickup screws. Given how much Hex is used on bridges, truss rods and locking nuts.

AxeHappy and LordIronSpatula like this.
  17. GuitarBizarre

To be fair, philips screws are good at what they're designed for - Not allowing the user to overtighten a screw.

The problem is that over time, chinesium screws have become essentially all screws, and even cheap screwdriver manufacturers have gone from making marshmallow driver tips, to making actually, pretty solid, hard drivers and driver bits. Even those garbage chrome vanadium ones you buy from a pound shop are now quite hard.

The end result is that in the past it was usually that you'd mash your screwdriver and need to buy a better one while the screwhead was fine, you now have marshmallow screws and hard scredrivers, meaning you can strip a screwhead by looking at it wrong.

Torx, of course, doesn't have this issue, because it doesn't make any concessions to overtightening - it's design to never cam out, and to provide infinite points of engagement, thus spreading the load efficiently and preventing head damage.

AxeHappy and Semi-pro like this.
  18. GuitarBizarre

I'm also surprised at that, yeah. Hex is much better than philips, although it's still possible to round out a chinesium hex head by using a key that's too hard, in a head that's too soft - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe.../220px-Torx-hex-contact-angles-forces.svg.png

The hex keys can also be a bit difficult to locate, whereas the slight chamfer on a torx driver is a godsend when trying to do things.

AxeHappy likes this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

torx>>Hex>>>>phillips. I fucking hate phillips screws. I can't count the number of times I've been installing pickups or reinstalling bridges and had the head strip out of the screw. I'm slowly replacing all important screws on my guitars with hex or torx screws just so I don't have to deal with this.

AxeHappy likes this.
  20. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I use Torx screws for everything on my builds. It's technically the best concept, no doubt about that. I've been wondering why Phillips/Allen screws even exist with so much better options out there...