Jason Richardson / The secret of the sweep and to skip a string

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Juan_sa, May 16, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

you are missing the context.
    Imagine getting a call saying "get your shit together now, we need you on a plane in the next 2 hours for a last minute Guitar event in Asia. Cancel any plans you may have had. Bye"

2. Alternative-Perspective

Alternative-Perspective SS.org Regular

You just described my perfect life.

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

sorry but I value having a life with loved ones over that. Imagine if the plans you had to cancel included seeing your daughter/son, who you already havent spent much time with?

4. Alternative-Perspective

I am happily unmarried and childless. In other words, free ;D

lewis likes this.
  5. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

well, thanks to this thread as I never heard of Jason Richardson outside of the NBA guy. I watched a few of his videos, determined he smokes at arpeggios, saw the details in here and set down my $10.
    Strange feeling trying to get these down on day 1. I hope to stick with it as I have a few cool sweep licks but basically suck. I want to fly.

sirbuh likes this.
  6. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Oh wow, day 2 and I am close to getting that first arp set at a decent speed. Strange finger approach but I get it as the clarity is huge. STOKED

Mathemagician likes this.
  7. Zeus1907

Zeus1907 SS.org Regular

What's up? The Sweep Lesson is exactly what you posted in your IG

What's up? What's in the Sweep Lesson is almost exactly what you play in your IG clip as well as your YT video.
    If I remember correctly min, Maj, dim, the 7th chords.

8. Zeus1907

Zeus1907 SS.org Regular

Anyone on the fence, I'd say get the Sweep Lesson. It's good for what it is. The fingerings are the important thing.
    On top of it, if you like Jason's playing, support him and buy a Lesson pack, tabs, his album, something.

9. Alternative-Perspective

So the sweep lesson has only chords in the key of D# minor? I wonder if it has augmented arpeggios or dominant seventh chords with flat ninths on top, too. Or min(add9) arpeggio shapes. Or half-diminished chords.

I wonder why in metal we don't use arpeggios with tension notes added. It's all triads.

10. Zeus1907

Zeus1907 SS.org Regular

Really doesn't matter what key they're in, they can all be transposed.
    It's just the triads, and the 7th chords of the triads.
    No tensions, tension notes is more of a jazz thing. I agree, I think metal should have more of those extensions. Some players do use them in metal, but you won't find them here.
    Hope I helped.

11. Alternative-Perspective

Yeah...before jazz existed tensions were never used... -_-*

12. nothing12987

nothing12987 SS.org Regular

Hello, just a question to those who've purchased the secret of the sweep. Do some of the fingering positions seem to be either extremely weird or "wrong". I'm quite a novice on the guitar hence why im asking more experienced people such as yourselves. For example, look at bar 122 on the pdf file, the fingerings for the first D# going down to the first C just seem illogical to me, jason also puts a similar fingering on bar 94 from the first E going down to the first C. Can someone please explain how Jason's fingerings make sense in these bars. It's driving my novice guitar mind crazy.

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Looks like a mistake since those fingerings don't make any sense. When you come across something like that just use what you feel is comfortable or what Jason would use based on the rest of the examples.

14. nothing12987

nothing12987 SS.org Regular

Yeah I guess I'll just try that, seems like the most logical thing to do. There are also a few more examples similar to this in the pdf. E.g. One fingering ascending the arpeggio but a different fingering descending, (First G# bar 103 and Last G# bar 106 are played with different fingers even though they are the same notes in the arpeggio, same goes with the start of bar 114 and 124, and the first C in bar 99 and 111, same notes different fingers) which just doesn't make sense to me. The annoying thing is the "read me" file which emphasises that you should use the EXACT fingerings in the pdf even if they seem weird at first. I emailed Jason about these unorthodox fingerings twice a few months ago but sadly got no response.

As "Beefmuffin" said earlier in the thread "he shows you the "sweep" technique (after brutally reviewing what you have practiced to make sure you followed everything perfectly)". So I'm curious to see how "Beefmuffin" practiced these parts as he passed Jason's review.

Just an interesting thing to add: Jason's teacher (Matthew Mills) who is technically insane and taught Jason his lovely sweeping technique released an Instructional Arpeggio DVD a few months ago which I purchased. Some of the fingerings Matthew Mills uses for the same arpeggios are actually different from Jason's. I guess it shows that every player has their own approach to this stuff, both Jason and Matthew are insane players.

I'd recommend checking out Matthew Mills if you're REALLY into the technique side of sweep picking. I'm not a big fan of his music (Neo classical stuff) but his flawless right hand technique is lovely to watch.

Any thoughts on anything I've said would be greatly appreciated. Always eager to hear other peoples opinions.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  15. Alternative-Perspective

It's hard to say something without seeing any images.