Jason Richardson / The secret of the sweep and to skip a string

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Juan_sa, May 16, 2017.

1. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

I wasn't able to find any on YouTube, probably because such a video would be kinda pointless. Why?

The arpeggio shapes are nothing new. If you're already familiar with sweep arpeggios, they're the same shapes you already know. The shapes themselves aren't where the "lesson" is.

The key is in the fingerings, and how you're forced to alternate pick them. Deviate from the fingerings that Jason specifies, or try to skip alt-picking and go straight to sweeping, and you've wasted your money.

Jason doesn't teach you how to sweep (see my long explanation above). His philosophy is that you have to master alternate picking before you can even begin to try sweeping these standard arpeggio shapes.

2. mikeylewis1291

mikeylewis1291 SS.org Regular

thank you for the reply, I'm going to purchase them soon

3. Alternative-Perspective

Alternative-Perspective SS.org Regular

I wrote this sequence of arpeggios recently. It's basically just one chord spread across the entire fretboard:

Have you seen similar shapes in Jason's course? I am interested in how other guitar players approach arpeggios.

IGC likes this.
  4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

The. Shapes. Are. Basic.

The point is to build up finger muscle memory via proper alternate picking, before building out into sweep picking.

5. IGC

IGC OCDG

So i just had to try alternate picking my coolest sounding classic A minor sweep arpeggio after reading this. I can definitely see how after mastering that tecnique it could be really neat and mesmerizing.

6. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

The part of Jason's method that's kinda killing me is that he "avoids barring at all costs" when sweeping. Well, I got my sweeping where it is today by barring whenever necessary. I'm totally comfortable doing it and it's programmed into my muscle memory now. For example, on our old friend, the root 6 Am arpeggio....

-----------------------------5---8-----
    -------------------------5-------------
    ---------------------5-----------------
    -----------------7---------------------
    -------------7-------------------------
    ----5---8-----------------------------

I do 2 mini-barres... once across the A & D strings, then one across the G, B, & high E strings. With Jason's method, there are no barres and every note in this arpeggio is played individually with a finger.

So, I'm essentially having to un-learn the way I've been doing it for years.

This is very similar to how I economy-picked everything my entire life, then discovered Rock Discipline, and went through a similar tearing-down-and-starting-over process with my picking.

IGC likes this.
  7. chris9

chris9 SS.org Regular

If baring works for you why not stick to doing it as long as the notes sound nice it does not matter how you play them. I can,t barre at all, I have never used barres or sweeping all my arps are hammer ons so Jason's finger patterns work great for me. My point is we all play different lets do what works for us as an individual no need to play like anyone else.

IGC likes this.
  8. Alternative-Perspective

I am self-taught on the electric guitar, and I had to figure out fingerings for sweep-picked arpeggios. Barring never seemed like a good option. That arpeggio you have there? I play it like this.

-------------------------------8-----
    ---------------------------10-----------
    ------------------------9-------------
    --------------------10------------------
    -------------7--12----------------------

Another cool option is:

------------------------------------
    -------------------------------13------
    ------------------------9--14-----------
    --------------------10------------------
    -------------7--12----------------------

No wonder Jason can play so cleanly. Barring when playing arpeggios is likely to make certain notes sound unclear.

IGC likes this.
  9. IGC

IGC OCDG

I know what you mean about tearing down and starting over. Some fingerings are more natural feeling because maybe they were the first fingerings you learned long ago. Or maybe its just the way your hands are...

Thanks for sharing the tabs, does Jason Richardson actually alternate pick thru this type of arpeggio?

This is the A minor arpeggio I tried applying Jason Richardsons alternate picking to;
    -----------------------------------8------12---------8----------------
    ------------------------10--------------------------------------10-----------------------
    ------------------9-------------------------------------------------------9--------------------
    -----------10--------------------------------------------------------------------10-----------
    ---12--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------12-----
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    (9 string herrr :D )

And it turned out to be the same as Alternatives arpeggio below.

Aww dude, the stretch on that second version is raw thanks for this different perspective!

Adding alternate picking to it like I guess Jason Richardson does? Seems tricky on top of what is allready pretty difficult to me.
    . its allmost like economy picking, because economy is basically ascending/ decending your scale normally and sweeping on the string transitions.

10. Alternative-Perspective

Alternate picking stuff is the hardcore way to do things. How do you think Jason, Steve Morse and John Petrucci got their muscles? :p

I once wrote this etude in alternate-picked arpeggios:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BUt_YmlAbzf/?taken-by=miguel_marquez_music

I wonder if the shapes you're encountered in your lesson packag from Jason are similar.

crankyrayhanky and IGC like this.
  11. IGC

IGC OCDG

Hell yeah! And it looks like some string skipping with alternate picking too. I guess jason string skips too.
    It would take quite a while to learn your etude... all those notes. Did it take long to write that?

12. Alternative-Perspective

Jason does indeed implement lots of string skipping in his solos.

It was more or less improvised (my etude)

IGC likes this.
  13. IGC

IGC OCDG

:bowdown: I would have an e-tude on here if i could sweep like you or Jason :D

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

as amazing as he is. I kind of feel sorry for him. Being that good would come off the back of a vigorous amount of practice every day. Once you become a name and have contracts on certain things with public appearances and all that jazz to promote endorsed products and to make $$$ yourself, the pressures must be immense. He could be quite sad deep down. Im not saying he is but it could be possible.

Either way lets take a minute to think about the sacrifices he has and continues to make, to be this standard and better going forward.
    Unreal talent.

15. Alternative-Perspective

Most stupid post I've read on SS.org. It's like saying "I feel sorry for Cristiano Ronaldo because he has to constantly deliver".

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    IGC likes this.
  16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Most stupid response I've read on SS.org

17. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

For heavens sake.

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I remember speaking to Andy James about exactly this point, and he too was sick of the schedule and strict demands of companies who were paying him to "be the best". Last minute jobs incl flights to Japan and all sorts of other ridiculous demands. 10hours+ a day practicing with no exceptions.
    People are actually ridiculous if you think that these dudes can bounce out of bed whenever they want, lead a bum life style, not practice at all really, and just be this good.

Companies end up having them by the balls. Big time. So there is no for Heavens sake about it mate.

19. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I think we might be able to live in the space between acknowledging that it's a bloody hard job that takes its toll on people*, which I think is known, and "let's take a moment to think about the sacrifices he has and continues to make".

*But still, I'm thinking "tell that to the people who work on oil rigs, or do deep-sea welding, or work for MSF in Africa or so on and so on and so on".

20. Alternative-Perspective

This applies to most people who are nothing but a number for the companies they work for. Living off music is hard, and demanding, but it is something a lot of people would love to have. Having to fly to Japan just to play guitar and give lessons? Damn! That sounds so boring. I'd rather stay in my office cubicle and try not to jump off the nearest bridge during lunch break.

IGC likes this.