Jason Richardson / The secret of the sweep and to skip a string

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Juan_sa, May 16, 2017.

1. jbrin0tk

jbrin0tk SS.org Regular

Just a heads up, all tabs, including the sweep picking and string skipping ones, are 50% off at his store through the end of today.

2. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

I picked it up you so we'll see in a few months if its worth it. Some of the fingerings are awkward but I can see the point.

3. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

Is the sale still on? I don't really want to buy this if it's not on sale, if I've missed it I'll just wait for another -- it's $11.99 now, is that sale price or not?

4. Beefmuffin

Beefmuffin New Boot Goofin

Just as an FYI, his sweep lessons make you alternate pick all those sweep patterns up to AT LEAST 120 bpm at 16th notes (so 480 bpm). This is actually how he plays most runs that people think are swept. He doesn't use hammer on or pull offs at all unless tapping is involved. I only say this because if you go through the lesson and hit that benchmark, you can contact him and he will show you how to go from the alternate picking to the "sweeping"

5. chris9

chris9 SS.org Regular

I used to play everything with alternate picking too but I just like the sound of hammer ons these days. I bought the lessons more for fresh string skipping ideas really. I,ll post a short vid of some of my ideas as soon as I can.

nollyflip likes this.
  6. nollyflip

nollyflip SS.org Regular

480BPM......WTF!?! i thought i was doing ok getting it cleanly at 100bpm like the guitar pro file....:(

7. sezna

sezna undermotivated

480BPM if you are counting quarter notes. But nobody counts that way. I've got the first exercise (eights) at 200BPM so I'm only 40BPM (counting eights) away.

8. Alternative-Perspective

Alternative-Perspective SS.org Regular

Is there any chance you can post a screenshot of the most difficult arpeggio/exercise Jason gave you? I am interested in his lessons and content, but wish to asess the level of difficulty first.

IGC likes this.
  9. jbrin0tk

jbrin0tk SS.org Regular

I don't want to post a screenshot because I wouldn't want to do anything outside of Jason's wishes, but the degree of difficulty of the arpeggios themselves is relative to to what you know already. Many of the shapes are the standard ones you see in a lot of metal, but later on there some that go a bit further, such as minor/major 7th and half diminished arpeggios. All that said, if you are a beginner this might blow your mind a bit. If you have a fairly solid knowledge of arpeggios, you will recognize and be familiar with a lot of them. I think the key is to remember that there is no time limit on this and you get out what you put in. Learn a couple, get comfortable with them, then add another one or two and get comfortable with those, etc. It's going to take time to get them up to a decent speed with alternate picking as he says to do. If you start today and practice until next week thinking you'll be great at them, you will most likely be disappointed. They will probably still be slow and kind of awkward. But practice correctly each day and you will see definite improvement over time.

10. jbrin0tk

jbrin0tk SS.org Regular

I should also add that another tricky aspect of it is how he asks you to use certain fingers for each note. Some of them made sense right away, while others felt awkward. If you keep at it, though, you start to see why he has you using those fingerings.

11. Alternative-Perspective

Alternative-Perspective SS.org Regular

Hmm I am very curious as to the shapes he has included in that lesson pack...

12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

No. Because he's selling a service. And the "lesson" difficulty isn't in the exercise itself. It's in you as he individual putting in the work. His lessons include all fingerings and positions to show the "proper" way to move through them. So the point isn't that he has "some new magical exercises". Just a consistent method of teaching.

And if you're that desperate I'm sure some douche somewhere has posted them up if you google hard enough. I hate he idea of giving away someone's work for free.

13. jbrin0tk

jbrin0tk SS.org Regular

Yes, exactly what was said above. The exercises are nothing special, and Jason says as much in the read me file. They are just standard arpeggios. The trick (for lack of a better word) is to use his fingerings and practice very slowly. Again, you get out what you put in.

Mathemagician likes this.
  14. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

At this point if you're that curious spend the cash its only $12-15 . As stated before none of the shapes are anything special that you haven't seen before. Its not even the alt picking thing that's I'm finding helpful, Its the fingering suggestion that I find the most useful

15. jvms

jvms SS.org Regular

I'm considering buying both books and I was wondering if the technique used for the alternate picking arpeggios are the same used by Steve Morse or by Petrucci on Glass Prison? Could I also use it as training for this type of playing before actually getting to the sweeping part?

16. jbrin0tk

jbrin0tk SS.org Regular

The technique used is the same as Steve Morse or The Glass Prison. It's just alternate picking arpeggios. I would think it would be a great foundation to build on if you want to then learn stuff like the glass prison, etc.

One thing to note is that Jason does not go into detail about the picking mechanics you should use; he is assuming that you already have a decent understanding of those. He does provide the most economic fingerlings to use. Some of them make sense right away; some make more sense as time goes on.

I should also note that all of that information is for the sweep picking file. He recommends you to learn to alternate pick them first, then get in touch with him for the sweeping mechanics later. I can't speak to the string skipping file, as I don't have it.

17. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

Just started working on both of these today. Good stuff so far, but I can see I'm gonna have to re-learn what I thought I knew about sweeping, heh

18. mikeylewis1291

mikeylewis1291 SS.org Regular

just want to clarify b3fore I purchase, did I read it right that this includes Skype lessons?

I'm just curious what all im ordering is it just a one time pdf download that I read and practice, at my leisure? or will there be more lessons In the future for after I complete the first ones

19. IGC

IGC OCDG

+1 anybody got any vids of people trying to play these exercises?

20. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

The Skype lesson (I've no idea if Jason does one, or many) comes at the very, very end of the process. Read on...

"The $ecret of the $weep" is a one-time download--but it's a shit-ton of exercises. Yes, they are self-paced, so it's up to you to be disciplined and methodical in your practice. They aren't videos or "lessons" per-se, they're exercises and shapes that you have to master--and the arpeggio shapes aren't anything new to those already familiar with arpeggios. Depending on how much you practice, it could take you anywhere from 6 months to several years to truly nail them all.

You'll get a digital download which includes:

• Guitar Pro files for Mac & PC
    • PDF version of the exercises (for those without Guitar Pro)
    • A "Read this First" PDF from Jason which stresses the importance of playing slowly, alternate picking everything, and following his fingerings EXACTLY.

Ironically, Jason doesn't teach you to sweep in these exercises. Instead, he teaches you how to efficiently alternate pick all the arpeggio shapes. He states that you MUST master the ability to cleanly alternate-pick all the exercises at full speed (minimum 100 bpm) before you can even think about learning to sweep them. This is his philosophy--how he developed his sweeping ability--and if you don't agree with it or aren't willing to do it, I would not advise purchasing the exercises.

Then, and only then, can you contact him through Facebook about scheduling a Skype lesson. His "Read This First" PDF gives his contact info. However, he gives no guarantees about his availability.

He states that, in your Skype lesson, you'll have to play all the exercises for him to prove that you're ready to learn to sweep the arpeggios. He'll watch you very carefully, and if he agrees that you're ready, he'll then show you his approach to actually sweeping the arpeggio shapes instead of alt-picking them.

"To $kip a $tring" is the exact same format, but there's no Skype lesson... since you're not trying to make a transition from alt-picking to sweeping.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    mikeylewis1291 likes this.