Jason Richardson / The secret of the sweep and to skip a string

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Juan_sa, May 16, 2017.

1. Juan_sa

Juan_sa SS.org Regular

I've considered buying those tabs that Jason Richardson sells to improve my speed and technique. Has anyone tried them? Are they worth the money? Are the exercises really hard or too easy? (I already know how to do sweep picking)

2. Beefmuffin

Beefmuffin New Boot Goofin

I have both. Easy, no. You are in for a 2-3 year practice marathon. I'm currently at 16 months. If you already know how to sweep, to sweep 100% accurately and cleanly like him, you are going to be starting from square one. You have a 15 long page book of 6 string arppegio runs you have to learn to play at well over 120 bpm at 16th note intervals (so 480 bpm ALTERNATE picked) before he will even give you the next step and there is no short cut. Also, he doesn't allow you to bar notes, it's all individual fingering that sucks to get down. BUT it is all beyond worth it. I've grown so much as a guitarist in the past year and a half because of his lessons (I took some Skype ones too) and though it sucks, a lot (talking at LEAST 2-3 hours a night of practice....every night) it's well worth it in the long run. But just know, he doesn't allow any short cuts. he will watch every fretting move you make and he will make sure you alternate pick everything. If you start slow like he says, then you will be fine but anything you know now will be thrown out the window.

3. Juan_sa

Juan_sa SS.org Regular

I wish I could do sweep picking like him. I've been playing guitar for 6 years and the "hardest" sweep picking I know is the one from the intro and outro of "Empyreal" by Sylosis

4. Beefmuffin

This is a great way to do it but truth be told, I had no idea what it was going to take before going in. Everything makes sense later on and you see why he puts so much emphasis on proper (ergonomical) finger placing and why he makes you alternate pick everything (and to be honest, a LOT of his sweeps outside of the lightening fast ones are alternate picked on his albums). Once you are able to hit your cap of alternate picking the arpeggios, you set up a time with him and he shows you the "sweep" technique (after brutally reviewing what you have practiced to make sure you followed everything perfectly) And by this time you will have SO much control of your hand movements. Your right and left hand are in sync and things just become natural. You don't just improve with sweeping from following his lesson, it improves almost all aspects of your playing.

5. Juan_sa

Juan_sa SS.org Regular

I'm a little bit confused, how do these lessons actually work? Aren't they just Guitar Pro files?

6. Beefmuffin

You actually get 2 files. the GP or PDF files of the tabs. But then there is another PDF file about 2 pages long that explains the details of what you are to do with the tabs. He makes it very clear that if you just look at the tabs, you won't get anything outside of scales and exercises you can find online easily (this is true). You are spending money on the other file that comes with those tabs. This file explains how you are to tackle the excercises. It tells you how to read them as he has finger placements and picking (whether up or down) on every single note. Then he also gives you his info on how to contact him once you hit the first steps that he lines out in his instructions. So in a sense, yes it's just tabs, but if you want to get what you should out of them, and you follow his instructions, then it's much more than that.

7. Juan_sa

Juan_sa SS.org Regular

And after learning and knowing how to play everything on the GP files you do a Skype lesson with him where he checks your progress and teaches you more? That's really good for how much it costs.

8. Beefmuffin

Yep! I was very pleased with the purchase, I just didn't know what I was in for haha.

9. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I'm sort of torn between "that sounds like a pretty brutal and somewhat unmusical way to learn guitar" and "I'll try it for 12 dollars".

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I bought it and it basically forced me to admit how sloppy I was and start guitar all over. I knew I needed to work to a click, but the point is every note counts equally so there is no shortcut. It's a very specific methodical process, and it forces you to improve if you want to get anything out of it.

11. prlgmnr

Sweeping is something I almost entirely don't do so it would do me good to build it from the ground up.

12. BentAnat

BentAnat SS.org Regular

So I suckered out and bought the pack.
    As background info to my opinion, I should say that due to my job, my studies and such, my "structured practice" time is about 20 minutes a day.
    I recently decided that I wanted to check out Periphery's Marigold intro, and that really opened me up to systematic, slightly fascist feeling practice with a metronome. I found I like that sort of thing, and (though I feel a little bad for this) have to admit that this really worked for me, and Marigold's intro lick has made me a better player in various subtle ways (15+ years of slopping around without structure practice ended me in a rutt).

First impressions: The sweep bits (something I cannot do at all) are BIG moves. As was already pointed out, they immediately span 6 strings and 7+ frets. Jason insists on alternate picking things and NOT barring anything, which is something I can appreciate.
    The String Skipping bits I am enjoying immensely (though one measure at a time). The super rigid "up,down,up,down" is easy to me, but the fingering of some things is not how I would do it, so that is an additional challenge to me.
    Everything he says in his Readme files makes sense when you think about it, and his maybe somewhat weird insistence of what finger goes where makes sense when you look at moving up and down the fretboard.
    All in all - even if I never use the additional video call to Jason, I think this is money well spent, if you are either trying to develop speed (In my case, I have no delusions of ever achieving anything near his speed), or just clean, solid technique practice.

crunyan likes this.
  13. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Alt picking of, um,
    'sweep' arpeggios?
    :hmmm:

14. prlgmnr

Alt pick them all first to get the fingering patterns in with your left hand, so when you come to sweeping you've already got the fingerings completely down.

BentAnat likes this.
  15. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Ah, makes more sense then lol.

16. BentAnat

BentAnat SS.org Regular

Also, Jason makes the point that Sweeping is often not as clean as alt picking. As such, it should (in most cases) only be used once you maxed out your alt picking/economy picking speed.

17. sezna

sezna undermotivated

I am the same way. I would have used a bar for a lot of those sweeps (like the very first one), but my arpeggios are cleaner using his fingerings.

Mathemagician likes this.
  18. nollyflip

nollyflip SS.org Regular

I just purchased this after reading this post. $12 well spent. Ive only been practicing 30-45 minutes a day for the last week but have already seen a MASSIVE improvement in my arppegios and fingering

IbanezIsLife, Mathemagician and sezna like this.
  19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yeah it's not "magic" it just gets you to the step of "ok I'll practice something slowly and correctly". And then whaddaya know? You're playing cleanly and getting faster.

20. chris9

chris9 SS.org Regular

I bought the lesson bundle there are some great ideas. I already play arps with no bars as I play them with all hammer ons so his fingerings make sense to me.
    Great string skipping ideas to well worth 20 dollars.