James Cameron's "Avatar"

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by ZeroSignal, Aug 28, 2009.

1. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

*ding ding!*

Though, it's not just a slip; It's an official fully.

2. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

Just one more step in the Great Furry Conspiracy.

3. RenegadeDave

RenegadeDave Huge nerd

I got the DVD. I appreciated it more on subsequent viewings in 2d.

How many months before Christmas do you think it will be before they release the 3D version?

I still don't get how people hate on the story so much. yes, it is generic, but read anything about the Universal Myth and realize that basically every movie you've seen and liked is straight from the universal myth/hero of a thousand faces. It's all been done to death. What Avatar has going for it is it's delivered so well, there is no dead time on screen. Every millisecond in frame contributes to the momentum of the story and the suspense is incredibly well paced. That's probably more a credit to tasteful editing more than anything but lots of modern film makers could learn a thing or two from this film.

I didn't pick up on the parallelism between the scientists in the Avatar program and the soldiers with their powered exoskeletons the very first time. Ultimately, the final battle comes down to a showdown between an avatar and an exo and is decided by a local.

Side note: I like how almost all of the species are some kind of mammal/reptile/ sometimes even insect hybrid. As imaginative as the fauna were, it seems like it fell to the same formula "give it another set of appendages, give it nostrils on it's chest, give it vivid coloring or bioluminesence". the flora was convincingly done as well.

4. shredfreak

shredfreak SS.org Regular

Kinda checked it out to see if it was as good as most ppl say but it seems all bling bling & not story at all. Huge dissapointment.

5. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

I really liked it mostly because I'm into that sorts sci fi aliens shit.

6. DeathMetalDean

DeathMetalDean ss.org Shredder

I just watched the movie last night, thought it was deadly :lol:

7. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

Just saw it last week, thought it was a pretty entertaining film. Certainly set the bar for visual effects though, though since I saw it on DvD, I'm not sure how much of the experience of the film was lost w/o 3D. That being said, I felt it was pretty overrated overall as a story (as its nothing groundbreaking) and felt it kinda forced by the end, but still good. 3.5/5

8. sentagoda

sentagoda A serious man

for me having seen it in both. 3d did not really do it for me. even tough its filmed in 3d

9. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

After seeing it in 3D and on Bluray.. I like the 1080p 2D Bluray version a lot more

10. Choop

Choop n______n

When I first saw this film, I thought it was absolutely amazing at the theater. In retrospect, the more and more I thought about it, the less and less I liked it. There is little that is truly original about the film, however the presentation is what really gets you and makes it stand out. Pretty visuals I guess, plus I really like watching movies in 3D! :D

Definitely not a 'bad' movie. It's still enjoyable to watch. It's fun to imagine this world and rejecting human exploitation etcetc. I just want to say, that I've heard that Avatar is comparable to Star Wars, as though it's 'this generation's Star Wars,' and that just doesn't seem to fit it for me. Avatar wasn't the massive phenomenon that Star Wars was (and still is really).

I also would now like an Avatar cab in blue tolex. I'd dress it up like a Na'vi, and it could meld with my vicious beast Mesa rectifier! :V

11. MacTown09

MacTown09 SS.org Regular

Pics or it didnt happen :)

12. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

sorry, but you are objectively wrong on this point

13. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

No, he's not. You can say he's subjectively wrong (meaning simply that you disagree). But fact of the matter is that history will be the best judge of this.

I, personally, don't think that Avatar will stand the test of time anywhere near as well as Star Wars has. I don't think it's even arguable that it's anywhere near the cultural phenomenon that Star Wars was. Even if you simply want to state that it is due to being the highest grossing movie ever, I'd first disagree about that proving the point (Titanic WAS the highest grossing and it was nowhere near the cultural phenomenon that SW was) but I'd go on to point out that there's a lot going on with the numbers themselves that's debatable (inflation, 3D ticket cost, etc).

You can say that this is partly due to the way that society and filmgoing has changed. I'd agree. Whereas when SW came out people got one, maybe 2, blockbusters a year, we're now saturated with new films (and media in general) to occupy the public's eye. So, rather than be a big part of the public consciousness for years, I really do feel that Avatar will be off of the societal radar (if you don't want to say it is already, which I'd also argue) by next summer. It's simply a fact of the way media works now. Things are much more quickly discarded.

14. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

first things first, even when adjusted for inflation Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time worldwide... In NA its top 15 which ain't bad. As you pointed out, SW was the first real blockbuster. Now Avatar didn't have too much competition, but even in more saturated modern movie markets it still destroyed all of its competition and stayed at #1 for weeks.

Did people have Jedi weddings the year Star Wars came out? Probably not. If that is what you are talking about when you say "phenomenon" then that takes years to develop and that isn't what I'm talking about right now, because nobody can comment on that with any legitimacy.

Did people turn out to see Star Wars droves? Yes. Did people turn out to see Avatar in droves? Yes, By God they did like they haven't in years... and you can't deny that.

So, he's objectively wrong in the sense I assumed we were talking about.

We are also comparing a 30 year old franchise of six movies, a couple hundred books, comics, TV shows and so on to a seven month old standalone movie with a couple companion coffee table books. We are comparing something we grew up with to something brand new... how can anybody compare the two yet?

15. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Not only that, isn't he making a trilogy since it did well? Hard to say what's going to happen with those. Might be bigger than Star Wars in 30 years (and this is coming from a Star Wars nerd).

16. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

As I said, "fact of the matter is that history will be the best judge of this." Also, as I said, for a variety of reasons, I don't think it's going to have the staying power of SW. He obviously doesn't either. Since no one can see into the future any statements supporting or against this are... yes... subjective.

The phenomenon of SW is one that I don't feel was just cinematic but cultural (most would surely agree). While I think that, sure, Avatar was a phenom cinematically, culturally I don't think it even approaches the level of SW. We're not just talking about people going to theaters in droves. If that were the case we'd have to say Titanic is as big a phenomenon as SW (maybe more so since it also won oscars. See, all very subjective).

Also, just curious, has anyone done the numbers adjusted for the extra cost of the 3D showings? I read one quote saying it would have dropped it's domestic gross from 750 to 500. I don't know if that's accurate or if the person just did the math as though every ticket had been a 3D one.

17. arktan

arktan Icnomptenent

Blasphemy!!! Lord Vader will be very disappointed.

18. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

OR it could end up going the other way, a-la the Matrix; People pour into theaters to watch part 2, leave disappointed, and then part 3 ends up with comparably lackluster sales and mediocre reviews at best..

Time will tell.

I can say this: I already got rid of the DVD. I saw the film 3 times in the theaters, and when I brought home the DVD it was all I could do to pay attention for 5-10 minutes before wanting to do something else entirely. I'm starting to wonder if it's going to stand the test of time for me at all.

It doesn't help that the Blue Ray version on an HDTV looks like a video game whenever no humans are on screen, to me. :spock:

19. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Looks just fine on my 42" LCD at 1080p :lol:

I know what you mean though, sometimes people just get burnt out on movies/shows. I think it definitely has the potential to be an excellent trilogy if they do it right.

20. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

thanks for reading my post carefully. We are not talking about the same thing.