Jackson Soloist SL2H + Bare Knuckle pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Talmaci, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

Hello.
    I have a couple of BKP pickups (Aftermath, Black Hawk, Cold Sweat, Warpig, Miracle Man, Painkiller). Tried about all possible variations with my guitars (Jackson SL2H, ESP MII, Gibson Les Paul, Carvin DC127, Carvin DC727, ESP USA Custom Shop).
    Need to say that I found all the best variations for each guitar:
    ESP USA MH - BlackHawk
    ESP MII - Warpig
    Carvin DC127 - Miracle Man,
    Carvin DC727 - Painkiller
    Gibson Les Paul - Cold Sweat,
    Jackson SL2H - ...

I tried all these variations except Cold Sweat in my Jackson. It all where sounding very bad.
    I adore BKP pickups and try to buy one more set. I just can't believe my SL2H can not sound good at all. Now I put EMGs in it but it is too flat.
    Let me show you the comparision between ESP MH and Jackson SL2H.

https://soundcloud.com/ghennadiy-talmachi/esp-usa-mh?in=ghennadiy-talmachi/sets/bkp
    https://soundcloud.com/ghennadiy-talmachi/jackson-sl2h?in=ghennadiy-talmachi/sets/bkp

Too much uncontrollable bass? No saturation in highs? And that's Aftermath. That's the typical problem in sound every time I installed BKPs.

Just want to try Nailbomb now.

2. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

Hmmm that does sound a little odd; it sounds that there is a little less gain overall in the Jackson. As a question, have you tried just wiring the pickup direct to the jack to eliminate a dodgy pot?

As for pickups, I have the Seymour Duncan Perpetual Burn in my bridge and a standard Jazz in the neck, sounds lovely.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  3. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

I have heard that some Jacksons can be very picky in terms of pickups, especially actives.

If you are heading in the active route I would take a look into the EMG 57/66, Fishman Fluences (Classic, Modern, Or DT set should work. They all sound real good so it is up to you to decide which sound/features is right for you) and the Seymour Duncan Jeff Loomis set.

4. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

We put Jackson's pots on Carvin with Miracle Man and everything is ok.
    There was 500k, 250k will kill more gain and highs.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

if you can't control the bass with the aftermath, you definitely won't be able to with the nailbomb. it's way more bass heavy. That sounds more like you need to adjust your amp settings to that particular guitar/pickup. The aftermath is an extremely dry sounding pickup and takes a fuckload of gain to saturate. It has less output than the blackhawk (and most of the pickups you mentioned), so you'd need to compensate for that on the amp end by bumping up the gain for that particular guitar.

Zhysick and JustinRhoads1980 like this.
  6. JustinRhoads1980

I also think that the way you EQ your amp will also play a good chunk in why you aren't getting the sounds you will like. Like what Knight said, know the characteristics of the pickup and compensate for through the EQ

7. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

A tried aftermath on 5 guitars and everywhere it had problems with 6th strings. I don't know why it is positioned as the super-tight pickup but I have a lot of friends who say the same about 6th string. There was installed Warpig. It has even more output and Jackson still had a lack of saturation. So I want to say that each BKP pickup installed had the same problem.
    Now are installed EMGs and it sounds just very very clean, has no body at all at the same level as LTD H200.

I tried in pair with Bogner Uberschall (most saturated), VHT Ultralead (most tight), VHT Deliverance, Splawn Quickrod. I need to set amps radically to get something like saturation at the expense of clarity. Of course, I agree about amp settings, but I tried a different guitars one none of them needed something like that.

I see JustinRhoads1980 has Soloist 2003. Mine is 2004. I would be interesting to hear his opinion and what pickups are installed there.

8. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I'd say change the pots or cennections. Less saturation is not a guitar rather than an electronic problem.

9. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

If normal EMGs are too flat, try the X-series. Worked for me.

The questions I would ask myself at this point about the Jackson are:
    Is the instrument acoustically very loud?
    Is it very resonant?

You say it is very warm sounding, maybe the solution is actually a bright low output pickup? Definitely try the Cold Sweat to see if that goes in the right direction.

10. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Are you using a calibrated set?
    Stupid question: is It possible that you swapped the bridge with the neck pickup?

11. JustinRhoads1980

I ditched the passives and got me some EMGs in there. I tried this since in my 2 other guitars they both had actives and I liked the sound very much. I have the Het Set in there. Although it has taken awhile for me to find a sound on the amp that matches the jackson. Very minor tweaking of little things helped.

I would maybe try the EMG 57/66 set or Fishman Fluence. If you go fishman there is just soooooo many good options that you would have to pinpoint by ear what you like. Personally for a Jackson I think the Classics are a good options along with the moderns. Maybe give the Devin T. a look into? Watched a video a few days back on it and it seems to have the tightest low end response in the Fluence line, which interests me since it is heavy strings and chugging.

12. JustinRhoads1980

also you mind posting pics of your jackson???? Would love to see it :mf666:

13. Talmaci

Talmaci SS.org Regular

Thank you for the answers.

We tested it one more time there where no problem in wiring and pots.

It is VERY resonant and loud acoustically. That was first I noticed when took it in the hands.

No I had no BKP pickup for this guitar.

And finally:
    Tested my Cold Sweat ceramic bridge pickup. It sounds great. It has no such tight bass as my ESPs have, but it sounds very beautiful. Awesome midrange.
    I was surprised one more time after all my tests of BKP pickups. Cold Sweat and something like MM doesn't sound radically different but Cold Sweat gave completely different sound and feel of my SL2H. I ordered neck Cold Sweat and will install it.
    Also I thought that cream zebra would look awful on snow white Jackson, but it was wrong. I will post picks when CS comes to see you opinions about the look.

That's how it looks with standard pickups:

[​IMG]

14. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Glad you found something that works with the guitar as it looks stellar!

Sometimes some guitars are more finicky with certain pickups, especially when the electrical connections are all working ok. One my SL2H's had the Dimarzio Blaze set which was fine for standard tuning but going down to C it was a bassy relatively mushy result. Changing to a set of Mojotone Tomahawk pickups made the sound clearer and more articulate but still the sound is very dark. Not in bad way now though so I'm keeping those in but I'm thinking maybe this specific guitar would benefit from brighter pickups. It does have an aftermarket Dimarzio volume pot that can shift too easy but I'm not sure if that's the culprit in my case, even though I doubt it.

Talmaci and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  15. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

When you get the neck Cold Sweat installed, please update how it sounds. I have a 2004 SL2H (and a 2008) and the first pickup swap I did was from the JB to a Custom and liked it quite a bit. I've read that the Cold Sweat is very much like a Duncan Custom and now that I'm looking at new pickups to try in my Jacksons, that would put it on my radar.