Jackson SL7Q Pro Soloist

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by tedtan, Sep 12, 2018.

1. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I'm looking for a 7 string soloist, but it is a Master Built option from the custom shop, and Jackson is not currently accepting Master Built orders. Anyone have any experience with the Pro Series SL7Q? How are they compared to the USA Select and custom shop soloists?

Also, how is the Korean Floyd Rose FRT-SSO2000 trem? Does it hold up to the 7 string OFR or is it a lower end offering like the special?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I haven't gotten a hold of the 7 yet, but the Pro Series Soloist 6 strings I've played have been either okay or good. Haven't really come across a great one yet, but I'm sure they're out there.

The issues I've seen have been with fit and finish mostly. Some rough binding and nuts, but the fret work has been on par with stuff at that price point.

If neck-through isn't a deal breaker, I've found the Dinky 7s (made in a different factory) to be much nicer feeling overall, granted I'm a fan of bolt-on guitars. They just felt more up-market compared to the Soloists.

The best deal on a 7-string Soloist is a used SLAT3-7. They pop up for cheap and they're monster player's guitars.

As for the 2000 series trems, I don't have any complaints. The little things like screws and bolts are cheaper made, rougher threading, but nothing a brush and some 3-In-One oil can't fix. The base plates and saddles seem good, and the finish on them holds up surprisingly well considering that's a common place to cheap out on cheaper bridges.

Frey likes this.
  3. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I also have not had the chance to play the SL7, but the DK7 I have is a very nice guitar.

Drives me nuts that Jackson and Charvel won’t take orders.

Frey likes this.
  4. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I'm not unhappy with my current 7s (a '91 540S7 and a '99 S7420FMT, both well played (by me) but kept pretty clean). I've just been enjoying my soloists lately and was thinking about adding a 24 fret neck through 7 to the arsenal. One of the local shops has one in stock, so I'll probably go check it out in the next week or two, but from what I am hearing, it sounds like it probably won't be coming home with me.

5. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

I own a 6 string model and it's pretty darn nice actually. A friend of mine just recently got a 7 stringer (the green one) and I really didn't care for it though. Didn't like the Distortion 7s and the fretwork wasn't perfect. Going to be a roll of the dice like most guitars in this range.