Jackson MIJ DK2M Gotoh Floyd Upgrade

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by groverj3, Feb 8, 2018.

1. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've posted. I've been getting back to playing regularly after not having much time recently (thanks grad school). Anyway, I'd always wanted to replace the licensed floyd on my DK2M but never got around to it. Fast forward to 2018, my tax return, and some really good deals on the Gotoh Floyd Rose on ebay. The post spacing is the same, so I figured "why not?"

The JT-580LP (same as the Ibanez TRS) was a little worn out. The knife edges show some wear.
    [​IMG]

It's looking sad without a bridge :(
    [​IMG]

The new unit
    [​IMG]

It's missing the arm attachment assembly thing, you say? Yes indeed, I'm replacing it with one from an original floyd
    [​IMG]
    I have a bunch of these lying around. The one on the left I took out of the JT-580 since I had previously replaced the original one for that bridge. That's the one I'll reuse. The one on the right is also an original floyd one, made by Schaller (not the Korean version, even). It doesn't have as tight a fit with the arms. I guess there's something to that business about the new ones not being as well made.

[​IMG]

Finally!
    [​IMG]

Some notes in case you want to do something like this. The route for this guitar is large, and therefore it fits without really any problems (33mm block). It does rub a little bit at the front right edge of the bridge. Nothing serious though. Really it's only rubbing less than the thickness of a little paint. It's a much better-made unit than the licensed one that came off of it. It seems to be about the same level of sturdiness as the original floyd. However, I think the baseplate is a tiiiiiny bit bigger.

The string lock screws are also longer, for seemingly no reason. I replaced them with some I had lying around to make sure I had no fit issues.

Ivars V likes this.
  2. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Eh, looks like imgur isn't cooperating. Maybe I need to go elsewhere for my image-hosting needs. You get the idea though. Easy mod!

3. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Imgur hasn't worked here (and in a lot of places actually) in ages. Try this one. http://postimages.org/