Jackson JS22-7 question

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Rob33917, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Rob33917

Rob33917 SS.org Regular

This model has the standard rosewood fretboard but there is another model that I just ordered with a maple fretboard. Looked nicer to me + the gloss black.

Anyway - what are you guys liking about the maple fretboard on these? Are there any issues with these vs rosewood fretboards?

Thanks and Rock on

2. akinari

akinari no change, only age

I have both models you mentioned and they feel pretty much identical playing wise, although I think the glossy one is a little bit lighter in terms of weight. The 26.5" scale is just right for a 7 and I like the flat radius. The fact they cost me nothing since I got both of them on sale definitely didn't hurt either.

Rob33917 likes this.
  3. Rob33917

Rob33917 SS.org Regular

Very cool. This will be my first 26.5 scale 7 string. My other 7 is an Ibanez that is a 25.5 scale I think.

4. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

I have the model with the maple fretboard, and one thing I have to mention is you definitely need to keep the fretboard clean...any dirt and grime will show up a lot faster on these than my other guitars, I have noticed. Other than that, these are great guitars, definitely worth the asking price.

Rob33917 likes this.
  5. pattonfreak1

pattonfreak1 Bored Member

The fretwork on mine was atrocious. Like to the point I'd wished I'd gotten the rosewood version. However, after a fretjob its prolly one of the better playing guitars I have.

6. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

The reviews I've seen all around are generally mixed so I don't think it's worth your time. Even I got myself the slightly higher-end JS32-7 instead.

WintermintP

7. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

Get it. I have a JS22-7 that outplays MANY Ibanez and LTD 7's that I've owned. If you're worried about getting a lemon then make sure you get yours from a retailer that has a good return policy.

8. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Would anyone like to fill me up on as to whether he'd be in trouble for buying a guitar with rosewood on it or not? I know that the rosewood are an endangered species and there have been new regulations made.

Oh he's asking about the one with the maple.

Maple fretboards are very iffy. Unlike other wood types, which are, you just get the base wood on it, maple fretboards come in a much wider variety. You have some maple fretboards with lacquer on them and some without, and some maple fretboards are already worn out by the time the guitar is built fresh.

WintermintP

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  9. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Jackson's rosewood is CITES certified, I'm sure. Having said that, I dig the look of the maple board on these.

Oh, and don't clean it. A maple board is supposed to get dirty. ;)

Wolfos likes this.
  10. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

I have a Jackson DKA7 which I understand is a different model but it has the 26.5" scale maple board so I thought I'd chime in.

I love it, the fretwork is on par with my mayones Duvell, no issues whatsoever, very smooth feeling. It's actually one if the best 7 string necks I've played nice and fast, smooth transitioning.

I used to not be a Jackson fan but I love this thing. I would say the finish on mine is more of a satin type of finish no crazy gloss or anything.