Jackson JS22-7 Dinky Humbucker Question

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Garlik, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Garlik

Garlik SS.org Regular

Hey all! So I've seen a lot of mention on this forum about the JS22-7, but it seems like most are dealing with the version I don't have. I recently bought one used and want to replace the PUPs but I'm a little concerned about humbucker size and compatibility. The Jackson I ended up with has the EMG looking Jackson PUPS that don't have the pickup mounts on them and I'm wondering if I have to buy specific size/model PUPs in order for them to fit.

Here is a stock photo so you can see the pickups in question. http://media.guitarcenter.com/is/im...ar-Gloss-Black/J18752000001000-00-500x500.jpg

I hope this makes sense, my brain is not firing on all cylinders today. Thanks all!

2. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

yea you're gonna need soapbar or active housed pickups. basically if it looks like the those youre good. the only potential downside is that if you dont like actives youre gonna have to find passives that are specifically housed to fit

3. Garlik

Garlik SS.org Regular

Bummer. Not really interested in Actives right now, or at least for this guitar. Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

4. Mad-Max

Mad-Max SS.org Regular

If you're a fan of Seymour Duncan, they have a few of their passive pickups made with Active housing to compensate for guitars that previously had Active Pickups in them. I know they make ones for the Nazgul, Pegasus, Sentient, and the Invader. Not sure about any others.

Seybsnilksz likes this.
  5. Garlik

Garlik SS.org Regular

I am a fan. I was actually looking at the Nazgul too. Cool, thanks!

isotropy likes this.
  6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

They can actually do this for any pickup you want. You just have to order it that way- price will be slightly higher.

7. Garlik

Garlik SS.org Regular

Oh that's cool, good to know. Thanks

8. Oranproks4

Oranproks4 SS.org Regular

I wouldn't worry about it that much... from the looks of thing its a pretty commonly shaped humbucker... I think what put you off was the pickup ring.

from experience most pickups will fit in that ring... and most of Seymour Duncan (not sure about other brands) come with their own rings so if the pickup doesn't fit in the ring that came with the guitar you have a backup

good luck!

9. Garlik

Garlik SS.org Regular

Thanks Oranproks4. Much appreciated.

10. B-Lovv

B-Lovv SS.org Regular

I own the same guitar which I have heavily modified. I put an active mount Pegasus in the bridge: it totally changes that guitar! I did have to do a little routing for the pickup to fit but not much at all.

11. Garlik

Garlik SS.org Regular

Thanks B-Lovv. I've since sold that Jackson to my brother-in-law and bought a an Agile Septor 7 string. I dig it, but now I feel like I should start searching for pickups. Not a big fan of the Cepheus pickups it came with.

12. thebrokeguitarist

thebrokeguitarist Friendly Alcoholic

I own one as well and after a basic set up it plays like a dream. Wonderful guitars, eh?

I've go some plans in the works. What else have you done to it?

13. Garlik

Garlik SS.org Regular

Actually, I sold mine already. For the price it was quite a nice guitar, but I bought myself an Agile Septor. I've been really curious about Agile for a while and went for it. I'm happy. Not a big fan of the PUPs, but I was expecting that. Other than that, it's a nice guitar. Just need to get it setup (I tried and quickly realized I don't know what I'm doing).