Jackson Guitars - Gold Coast Guitar Show (Judas Priest, Phil Collen content)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by electriceye, Jun 19, 2017 at 1:26 PM.

1. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

The Music Zoo put on a great event. I hope this is just the beginning of a long run for this show.

First of all, main reason to go to this show in Long Island last wknd forme was to shake Richie Faulkner's (Judas Priest guitarist) hand. I can't say enough things about him. Just an incredibly nice guy. We had some good, long conversations. No rock star ego there whatsoever. Had a lot of interesting stories to tell about auditioning/playing with Priest. Also, the new Priest album is recorded and off to mixing. No release date, but hopefully, before the end of the year. And a tour to follow (I was surprised about this, given that Glenn Tipton seemed to be struggling physically last tour, but I didn't mention that to Richie). Also, there is a "rumor" he has a signature axe coming out, but no word on what manufacturer. But, only "speculation."

On to Jackson! First, have to say, the guys they had manning the Jackson booth were SO cool. It helped that I got a free t-shirt! :D My #1 CS at the show was a metalflake crackle KV2. Whoa. Was disappointed by how fat the neck was. I got tot talking to one fo the guys there about a bunch of stuf (I think his name was Kyle or Kurt). He told me that the metalflake finishes are a nightmare to do, since they have to completely tear down the paint room when they're done because the sparkle elements make such a amess. As such, they only do said finishes in batches no more than once a week, if that. Anyway, the neck on the V was super fat because of the layers of paint required to achieve that crazy finish. I'd stick with an oil finish if I were to get such an axe.

Some cool custom jobs, as you can see below. Two neat things: One, Charvel is not done with Jake E. Lee. That's all I know or can say about that. But it's exciting nonetheless.

Second, I asked if they ever considered offering the PC1 with a thinner neck, given it's notoriously thick. He said that the neck profile is actually THINNER than what Phil uses. Maybe some of you Phil fans already knew this, but he said the actual necks HE uses...don't have volutes!! He prefers the necks so thick, that they can't even do that. Also, Phil uses 13s. I can't imagine using those. So, I can only imagine how many hands he must break when he shakes hands with someone.

Also, the guy couldn't say enough things about Phil. He said the guy comes to the factory about twice a year. Last year, be brough his solo band to the factory (despite the fact there is very little room for performances) and played shows for all the Jackson employees.

One last thing. One of the CS guitars I didn't take a pic of (I don't know why) was made of Sassafras. It'sa beutiful, Ash-like wood. The guy said it smells like root beer when you sand it, so they really enjoyed building it. Given that Ash will be exitinct in about 20 years, it looks like Sassafras will be the replacement for it.

Anyway, on to the pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing. Really like the green on the PC1.
    Interesting to see the 'aesthetic mis-matching of pickups' on your first pic there, wonder how that combo pairs (Omega and Black Winter Neck?).

electriceye likes this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands WONDERFUL

Really love Richie. Not surprised to hear he's a sweet person. Dude seems awesome and grateful for everything in every interview I've seen him in.

electriceye likes this.
  4. electriceye

I didn't post the tags, but on the V, the tag says they're BOTH Black Winters. If true, very odd about the mismatching going on there. That would drive me nuts.

Oh, and the V is $4k. :)

Attached Files:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. feraledge

feraledge Aum Horizonyo Contributor

@Blytheryn check out that KV.
    Some killer stuff here!

Blytheryn likes this.
  6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Interesting, it's either a flub or they managed to grab one of the specially made 'blackened' black winter's that came in the KM-6 MK1? Those were black winters but had the 'blacked out' aesthetic and used the hex screws instead of the regular slug and screw combo.

7. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Torching Thrones in the Black of Winter

I swear to god, the guys at Jackson are reading my mind on this stuff... In-sane.

8. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

And my preference goes to......... the crackle finished V ! Congratulations !
    Er... wait....the Xlike Charvel with the reverse headstock......or the flamed designed one.........oh s..t ! :wallbash: :mk:

9. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Awesome stuff, Thanks for sharing! The crackle KV (especially after hearing about the thick neck) and sunburst Star both have my attention! Were they for sale?

10. Rich5150

Rich5150 SS.org Regular

Very cool, I wanted to go on Saturday to meet Ritchie specifically, I caught 2 of his picks at the Newark Show last year (one of the pics i took) [​IMG]
    Unfortunately I had to work and couldn't get out of it. I am not a fan of Gibson by any stretch but if they made a Sig of his Floyd V that would be quite tempting to get.

11. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Drove 4 hours to go to that show. Was really cool since it was my first guitar show of any kind. Mainly drove for the Periphery clinic. All in all though it was pretty awesome

12. electriceye

Yes! The V was $4k and I think the star was closer to $3k. They were all for sale!

13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Given the relationship between Seymour Duncan and FMIC, they can probably grab anything they want, limited or otherwise.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  14. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

well, blackened BW seems to be similar to Invader in design with regular allen screws instead of big ones so I guess it's not like it is very special :D

15. electriceye

Yeah, I wish I could have stayed for that one, but I couldn't stay all day. I heard the guy from Periphery was pretty sick, too, but showed up anyway. I told the guy from Jackson they really nailed the Misha sigs, judging by from what I see on here.
    My *gut* is that it will be either a Gibson or Epiphone sig. I agree, they should just release the model he plays. He had that one at the show (see attached). It was beat to shit from two tours, but LOTS of custom features on it that were really neat to learn about. I was hoping to hold it (the one nicknamed "Valhalla") and get a pic with him, but he went right from the stage to the signing room and someone from EMG took the guitar.

Attached Files:

Rich5150 likes this.
  16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands WONDERFUL

I can see it being an Epi with a Floyd, EMGs, and the oversized pickguard. But he also used Janus/D'haitre Guitars. Kinda see him going for a smaller company as well.

17. Rich5150

Rich5150 SS.org Regular

The D'haitre's are cool the only thing I hate is the studs he put on the body, I'd still rock the hell out of one though.

18. electriceye

I got the impression that it would not be D'Haitre. Again, he didn't confirm that a sig was coming out, but he wouldn't say no *wink wink*. And he's only playing Gibsons at this point. So, draw your own conclusions.

19. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Yeah Mark had a sinus infection and strep at the same time. I talked to him a bit after and he sounded pretty bad.

And yeah the Misha sigs are awesome. Unfortunately they don't really do too much for me the few times I've picked them up but the Laguna Burst is still one of the best looking guitars I've seen

20. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

This is an SL2H-V right? IIRC these are built in a slightly more "80s" way, with a slightly larger neck heel, maybe a thicker neck and an earlier version of the logo. And a flat-mounted Floyd, yum. I always loved that model - one day I hope to pick one up, but I know they're pretty rare. The initial run came in some gloriously OTT colours as well - there was a pink one, a bright orange one and a green one.