Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Church2224, May 31, 2011.

1. ScumTricycle

ScumTricycle SS.org Regular

Great info, thanks. Well, it looks like for about $1000~1200 you can get a decent DK. A bit more for an SL. I had my eye on this one or this one. I didn't realize the DK and SL had such different necks. I love an Ibanez prestige neck, so I was hoping for something like that. DK seems like the pick then, eh? I haven't been able to try one out locally yet, but I'll see what I can find.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  2. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Those DKs look sick! Solid prices too. If you like the Wizard necks, these are going to be different. A bit thicker on the DK neck, but the SL is going to have a similar shape, but much thicker. The DK neck is more like the Pro Series necks.

3. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I've played a couple Indo Pro Series, and didn't think they were bad at all. I actually preferred them to the Mexican made bolt-ons. Used U.S.A. Jacksons go for steal prices though. I wouldn't even consider a new Pro Series when you can get U.S.A.s, typically in really good shape, in the $1,000-$1,200 without much effort. GC used had a near-mint black Soloist a couple weeks ago for $999. I decided later in the day that I might as well get it, but it had sold already. If you can swing it, I think it's well worth the price. Those and used PRS are the best values out there IMO, in terms of quality and consistency.

4. ScumTricycle

Awesome. Alright you guys convinced me. I'm going to start the hunt for a clean and simple USA DK. I can probably find one a bit cheaper if I wait for one without a quilt top or any other fancy features.

Or, a soloist maybe if it crosses my path. Hey there...

edit: well fuck, that was quick. I just bought that ^. They have a decent return policy on used stuff, if I recall, so if I don't love the neck I'll return it and continue the search for a DK. At that price, it's about $200~300 cheaper than other similar ones I've been seeing. Figured it's worth the gamble. Or, break my heart and tell me why that one was a bad deal :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    feraledge likes this.
  5. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Yep the house of kolor colours are pretty sweet

Looks better in sunlight though ;)

[​IMG]

She's almost done now just need to tweak the rod a little & find a tension bar and final polish/wax...finished pics to follow

Quick question if i may for you multi owning 80's/90's charvel/jackson guys ?

I really love the neck profile/radius on this Charvel spectrum so much so that id now love to pickup a charvel/jackson but with a 24 fret neck with this same profile,what charvel/jacksons should i be looking at & Would a jap Jackson fusion SX from 92 have the same profile or was this neck profile specific to the spectrum only?

Cheers

6. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Finally... ;) A JJ2, like new, really. The neck is different than the JJ1, it's set of course but it has a soft V feeling, like the washburn he had just after and feel less like a baseball bat on the JJ1. Happy !!!! Not sure I'll keep the JJ1 flame now....
    JACKSON JJ2.jpg

DISTORT6 likes this.
  7. Decapitated

Decapitated 5150

8. manu80

nice color !

Decapitated likes this.
  9. ScumTricycle

Alright, that $949 SL2H from guitar center with the terrible picture showed up. Figured it was worth the gamble.

It's got a lot of tarnish on the floyd. A couple big dings on the bottom. A little delamination near the headstock logo. It's probably due for a refret as well. Looks like it's missing the original pickup selector knob too. Otherwise, it's in pretty good shape I guess. It's certainly been played. So yeah, think it's worth fixing up and giving a second shot at life?

Serial number starts with U19, so it's from 1992? The instruction book in the case says 2002, so maybe I'm wrong on that one. Anyone know specifically what model this one is? The action is incredible...

DSC_2738.jpg

DSC_2740.jpg

Edika, feraledge and SatanicToaster like this.
  10. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

It’s a 2002. A ‘92 would start U019...

IMO, you can do a lot better for the money. Unless you happen to love the color or something I don’t see any reason to keep it and fix it up. You can find them in much better condition for around the same price, and you certinally could have your choice if you factor in the $300-400 you’d pay for a refret. And if you WANT a project guitar, you could find a more beat up one cheaper. Just my opinion.

electriceye likes this.
  11. ScumTricycle

Yeah, I'm a bit split. For $400 more, I've seen a couple that are in better shape but lack some of the features. This one plays great, looks cool, and is pretty decked out, but you're probably right. Looking at a major project or a lot of cash to make it 100%.

Fret wear:
    20171108_173831.jpg

Floyd tarnish. Some of this is just dirt that needs to be cleaned, but some of it is rust.
    20171108_173815.jpg

And the two big chunks out of the paint near the bottom strap button:
    20171108_173725.jpg

12. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Now that I see pics, maybe it isn’t so bad.

I’m no luthier, and it’s hard to say from the pics alone, but you might just need a crowning rather than a refret. Is the whole thing like that, or just a couple frets? If it was just a couple, getting them replaced wouldn’t be too bad.

Assuming you aren’t thinking about a full refin to fix the chunks, the refret would be the most costly thing, so if you can get away without that, you may be OK. The Floyd should clean up pretty well, and you could always buy individual pieces where needed, which wouldn’t cost a ton.

Personally, USA Soloists are consistent enough and plentiful enough that I probably wouldn’t bother with fixing it up. But since it sounds like you really like it otherwise, so it may be worth taking it to a luthier to have check out - might not cost you all that much to get it in shape - it is a really nice one. Again, just my opinion.

13. ScumTricycle

Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah, a crowning might do, but there are a couple frets where it's not great. Frets 1-3, on the 3 high strings are pretty rough. Either way, that and $20 of spare floyd parts would at least make this thing 90%. Guitar Center has a 30-day return policy so I'll do a bit of shopping and see what the other options are.

14. Andrew Napier

Andrew Napier SS.org Regular

Hi

In addition to a Jackson JDX-94 & a Rhodes, I own a JJ1, BUT it is fitted with an original Charvel headstock. The body was made on 8th July 1993. The neck displays the dice on the 12th fret and OP 04 JJ above the 22nd fret.

Does anyone know anything about this guitar? I understand that this guitar was bought from the Guitar Center in the USA and was part of "an artist's collection". Fender/Jackson/Charvel have been unable to help.

It is a beautiful guitar, a real keeper, but I would love to know more about it JJ2.jpg
    Charvel JJ headstock a lr.JPG
    JJ4.jpg
    JJ9.JPG

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  15. manu80

Yeah it's like a jj1
    i had two of those, jackson branded, but the bridge was different, like a wraparound
    It's like the surfcaster, some were branded charvel, some jackson
    But its the first time i see one with a charvel neck.
    Pre run model maybe ?

16. Andrew Napier

Andrew Napier SS.org Regular

It's a Schaller bridge

17. manu80

could have been changed or upgraded upon the original one....

18. manu80

could have been changed or upgraded upon the original one....

19. ScumTricycle

I returned the Jackson today. Too many little things kept bugging me. I found that a screw had apparently been screwed in near the bridge pickup, THROUGH THE BODY, and into the trem spring area. What the hell? Too many weird things.

There was another very similar one for sale at Guitar Center Used Gear online, but $250 more :( I ordered it. Wish me luck.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a "fool me twice, shame on me" thing. I called the specific Guitar Center this time and they assured me it was in great condition and ready to go. I'll report back with pictures.

Mathemagician likes this.
  20. McBrain

McBrain SS.org Regular

My 1992 USA Rhoads also has a screw going from the bottom of the bridge pickup cavity through to the trem cavity. Never really thought about it since I always have the back cover on.

21. ScumTricycle

Alright! Much better. Guitar Center came through this time. Even though it was $250 more than the previous ($1199), it's basically mint other than some light swirling on the finish. One tiny ding along the bottom near the strap button. Almost no fret wear. And a small bonus: the top veneer is a little more interesting (has a little quilt to the flame).

One thing I immediately noticed is this guitar's "feel" seems a bit...less...something? The pots are way cheaper and feel lighter. The 2002 I had previously had heavy brass poles on the pots, and the knobs were weighty. These knobs feel cheap. The neck feels a tiny bit different as well, but that might just be because the other one was played to death and very worn in. I swear the previous one had more of a "U" shaped neck, but I could be imagining things. It didn't come with a booklet or anything so I don't know much else about it. Serial number is "U0 936 0" if that means anything to anyone. Maybe this was made at a later date than the old one?

I don't know what the pickups are but they don't look stock. Either way, much happier with this purchase. Glad to finally have a Jackson...been playing 15+ years and had never even tried one. A crime, I know.

20171118_092617_HDR.jpg 20171118_092709.jpg 20171118_092652.jpg 20171118_092644.jpg 20171118_092753_HDR.jpg