Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Church2224, May 31, 2011.

1. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

Have any of you guys played the Charvel Joe DuPlantier Pro Mod? I've been on a GIANT Gojira kick lately and I really dig the way it looks, especially for $599.

2. Mikey666

Mikey666 No Hope = No Fear

downloadfile.jpg

I got a Charvel USA Socal too, I will post pics of her ASAP.

3. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

This is one of my favorite Jacksons and I can never find one when I have the cash.

4. farren

farren SS.org Regular

Anyone know how a '96 MIJ DR-3 neck compares to a pre-Fender MIA Soloist neck, both in terms of profile and thickness? Is the pre-Fender distinction meaningful here, or is the neck more or less the same to this day? Same neck (minus the R) on the DR-3 as a DK-2 more than likely.

5. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

When necks are hand finished, there's always a little deviation from the standard, but the MIA Soloist neck profile has pretty much always been the same. Pre to post-Fender is no more different than any one guitar to the next within the same era. I can't help you on the DR-3 though.

farren likes this.
  6. Mad-Max

Mad-Max SS.org Regular

My opinion is that the old X series that was made in Japan before they switched over to Indonesia was MUCH better. I have an old KVX10 King V that's one of my best playing guitars that I've used forever and wipe the floor with all the newer Jacksons I've played in the new X series.

7. man jerk

man jerk SS.org Regular

I picked up one of these earlier this summer.
    Pro Series Soloist SL2Q MAH
    Got it on scatch n dent from somplace, the only defect I could find was a small imperfection in the finish on the forearm contour. Got it for $700 marked down from $1k.

IMG_20170627_180639392.jpg

8. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I have the same one, solid guitar for sure!

man jerk likes this.
  9. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Hey guys

Im currently refinishing a Charvel spectrum in HOK Tangelo candy

[​IMG]

It came with all 3 of its original j200 pup's and preamp but the original owner had ripped everything out stuck in a single tone/vol kill switch setup,id like to restore the original setup as was but i cant find any info on the interwebs about the wiring for these guitars....does anyone in this fine club have a diagram
    or failing that a high res photo of an uncovered spectrum control cavity i could have a peak at?

Cant wait to get this guitar back together,the neck profile feels fantastic,this is the first pre 2010 charvel i've owned and im pretty sure it wont be the last...more pic's once she's back in the game

shadowlife and feraledge like this.
  10. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

I sold my DK1 to buy a hamer centaura, that i found was sounding better but I should also finally get a JJ2 pretty soon ;)

11. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Just picked this guy up for dirt cheap! It's the first Jackson I've ever owned since I started over 20 years ago and I love it. I know it's not a USA build but the fretwork and stability are extremely impressive.

watson503 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  12. Aso

Aso EDM Sludge Music Contributor

Just got this one in. Should do a NGD but I am terrible at writing.
    [​IMG]

Masterbuilt KV
    • 27" Baritone
    • Limba body and neck
    • Schaller Hannes bridge and locking tuners

13. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Woah, killer!! At least give us a group shot.

14. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Would help, but already gave my money shot...

feraledge likes this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

holy crap that colour is lush.

If that had a darker blue Burst around the edges, that would be my favourite blue finish on any guitar ever.

16. Aso

Aso EDM Sludge Music Contributor

I'll have dig the all out. Think there's 10-15 Jackson or charvels around the house.

17. fps

fps Kit

Experts, talk to me about Charvel Pro Mods please! Tried a MIM one yesterday, San Dimas Style 2 HT, thought it was very solid and enjoyable to play. Anything similar from Jackson I should be looking at? What's the verdict on these?

18. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

That color is gorgeous!

19. ScumTricycle

ScumTricycle SS.org Regular

I'd like more info on this too. I'm currently trying to decide between a new Charvel Pro Mod, Jackson Pro Series Soloist, or an older (and more expensive) 90's Jackson USA soloist or Dinky. I know these guitars are probably worlds apart but I'm basically looking for something fast and fun. Would a beat up 90's USA Jackson be worth the extra $500+?

20. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Jackson only has a lower end 7 string Telly and it's not as aesthetically pleasing as the Charvel. If you dig the Style 2, I'd jump on it. If you can live with a Floyd, this deal is bonkers and Schecter is clearly after the Pro Mod line:
    http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/S...Metallic-6-String-Electric-Guitar-P12254.aspx
    If you're asking about quality, the Pro Mods and Jackson Pros (bolt on ones) are made at the same factory, equal quality. I have nothing bad to say about them.

I haven't been as impressed with the Indo Pro Series stuff (anything not bolt on), but I'm hoping that has changed. I'd be willing to give them a shot again, but had a first round Indo Pro RR that had some issues, but gave the first run Pro SL2s three strikes. Sharp fret ends, some structural issues, things like that. Everything out of Mexico in the Pro and Pro Mod line has been great for me.
    But a 90s Jackson for $500 more? How badly beat up are we talking. The Pros and Pro Mods are great guitars, but USA Jacksons they are not. Worth noting, the SL2H/SL1 neck profile is very different from the SL2 Pro and DK neck profiles. I love the DK and speed neck, I just don't get along with the US SL profile (thicker, flatter, hefty shoulders). If you haven't had experience with them, it's worth looking in to.

ScumTricycle likes this.