iZotope Vocal Doubler - free plugin

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by steinmetzify, Oct 9, 2018.

1. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

2. axxessdenied

axxessdenied :: 2077 ::

Since I'm trash on vocals I'm totally gonna use this on my electro projects lolol

3. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I just got neutrino/vinyl (super cool sounding lo-fi) and stereo imager free from them. I'lll get the vocal doubler tonight.
    i actually had to get the neutrino/vinyl from a different site because the izotope site kept logging me out every time I clicked the download link. VERY frustrating. I love izotope products.

4. buriedoutback

nevermind... finally figured out how to download it. sheesh what a pos website.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  5. axxessdenied

What was the trick? I couldnt get past the stupid questionnaire lol

6. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

what questionnaire? i clicked the link in the op, clicked get vocal doubler, put my email in, downloaded it and installed it using the serial number they emailed me.

7. axxessdenied

I figured it out. Their site just sucks balls, lmao. My profile was incomplete so I filled out the info and was able to get it.

pastanator and buriedoutback like this.
  8. buriedoutback

so far:
    Website : absolutely frustrating to download anything. friggin nut sack.
    Neutrino : I put it on some finished vocal/bass/guitar/drum tracks and maybe it's just me, but it only adds subtle hi-end. Maybe on un-mixed tracks it works better...
    Vinyl : this is awesome. adds cool noise/warping/low-end-removal effects. I'll use it for sure.
    Imager : This does a good job (I think) of pushing my guitars out wider and sounds good.
    Vocal Doubler : does a 'de-tune and delay' effect on vocals. Sounds good to me. Doesn't sound a hell of a lot different than my Reaper - "channel delayer" plugin, but the de-tune is cool. Quick and easy to use.

If you don't already have plugins that you bought/don't know how to do this with stock plugins -- they're a good deal since they're free (well not 'free' for me cause I spent a lot of god damn time screaming at my computer for the stupid arse plugins to download...) and easy to use.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Vinyl is the sort of plugin that you'll never want to use on everything, but holy shit is it good at what it does, and used creatively can add some awesome color to a recording.

My album I released a couple years back opens with a delta blues style acoustic groove, playing a seriously slowed down standard-tuned version of the heavier low B seven string riff that eventually follows, and I went back and forth on an 1:30 acoustic intro for a song until I ran the guitars through the 1950s record sim on that. The thing absolutely came alive at that point, and my buddy I was sending rough mixes to for feedback basically told me that if I didn't leave that in there he was going to kick me in the taint. :lol: There was another tune I contemplated running the first, mellower pass through the verse vocal through that for a "wish you were here" sort of vibe, ultimately chose not to, and I'm not sure I didn't choose wrong there.

It's such a cool effect.

pastanator and buriedoutback like this.
  10. buriedoutback

Agreed. There are some clean intro/outros that vinyl will be perfect on.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I also think I under-use it as a "color" effect on background parts. In fact I think I'm going to challenge myself to do that on a couple tracks on my next album. It's just another really nice tool to have in your toolbox.

buriedoutback likes this.
  12. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Weird; I’ve never had a single problem DLing from that site. Sorry guys.

13. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

I'm probably iZotope's biggest fanboy. I use the entire Music Production Bundle almost to the exclusion of all my other plugins now. It's pretty much displaced Waves Mercury, NI, Reaper's onboard FX, and tens of other various purchased and free VSTs I've acquired over the years. 4 iZotope VST's dominate all my tracks:

Neutron takes care of almost 100% of my channel strip needs
    Visual Mixer (which is fed by all the tracks hosting Neutron) for track/buss/stem levels and panning
    Vocal Synth on almost all vocals
    Ozone for mix-buss and/or mastering, depending upon project requirements

Still use about 5-6 plugins from Wave Mercury for verb, delay, and special FX, and love Reaper's Floaty Delay, but that's about it. IMO iZotope has absolutely nailed the workflow aspect of working with VSTs by cramming as much functionality into each interface as possible, as opposed to Waves' (and most other's) approach of having 100's of single purpose VSTs (I assume more VSTs mean more money for a lot of these FX vendors).

You should see if you can demo Vocal Synth... it's not cheap, but worth every penny. It can do all the whacky synth stuff, but the primary way I use it is to sweeten up vocals. So I'll use some of the synth functions, but keep it all way back in the mix, so it doesn't sound like a 'vocal synth' or 'auto-tune' at all... it comes off in the mix as more of a high-end double/delay/verb set up. My vocals are brutal, but VocalSynth almost makes me sound like someone who can sing.

VocalSynth and the rest of the bundle usually go on sale for 1/2 price in the summer. Even at 1/2 off, the $500 price tag isn't cheap, but the bang for your buck is massive.

I know this all sounds like an ad for iZotope, but I am not at all affiliated... promise!!! I just like to rave about the Music Production Bundle whenever the opportunity arises.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018