It's about damn time...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by eaeolian, Aug 8, 2018.

1. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Randy likes this.
  2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Sell all shares of BKP stock now!!

A-Branger likes this.
  3. eaeolian

Heh. Seriously, though, I'm kinda shocked this took so long. It took so long, in fact, that I put zebra pickups in the guitar I wanted the covers for, so now I don't need them!

4. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I've been looking at those. Two things about them, though. First is that there seem to be two different pole spacings (one for neck and bridge), and I've never bothered to check which matches the common pole spacing from Duncan and Dimarzio, etc. Second is that they are made of brass, it seems. That not the ideal material for a cover, from what I understand. I think the covers typically are nickel? Which I think is transparent for purposes of the pickup, but brass is not and may really impact the tone of the pickup.

5. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

The other way around: brass is amagnetic while nickel is ferromagnetic and will influence the magnetic field of your PU.

cardinal likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

eh I doubt it. speaking from personal experience covers don't have any noticeable effect on the sound.

xzacx likes this.
  7. eaeolian

Covers look nice. They don't effect the sound.

8. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

Don't you have to "glue" the cover to the PU in order to minimize any unwanted vibrations?
    I belive I read about it a couple years ago in a magazine. The "Glue" would be wax of course.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

not as far as I know. I've pulled apart pickups and the only reason they had wax outside of the bobbins was because the covers were attached during the wax potting. I've also slapped covers over pickups and never had any issue with extra noise or such.

Turgon likes this.
  10. eaeolian

There's lots of myths about pickup covers. Usually they're just soldered to the bottom plate.

xzacx likes this.
  11. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

These have been about for a couple of years. I've tried em and couldn't get em to fit anything and I've got a large collection of pups in my pickup drawers. After fannying about with a Dremil and linishing machine I managed to get a really tight fit.

It was a complete pain in the arse.

Randy, Hollowway, Nlelith and 2 others like this.
  12. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

^There are a few different Ali sellers that have 7-string covers these days; maybe they're not all equally sloppy?

13. Haun

Haun SS.org Regular

They do. A friend of mine told me about the phenomenon "Eddy currents" and he did a bunch of scientific tests, and found that even non-magnetic pickupcovers had an effect on treble loss. The tests were done with tele neckpickups, but the difference was pretty noticable. Of course this isn't necessarily bad, but a thing to consider before putting on covers. I for example will never use covers on tele neck pickups again. I does get audibly brighter and gets more trebly. I'll ask him if he still has the graph of the tests.

14. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

They are usually all made in the same factory or with the same tooling.

15. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

Surely it's not one factory in all of China. And even if it was then sometimes dies and molds will be changed out for some with tighter tolerances for future batches. I've ordered several run of the mill parts (bridges and knobs mainly) where the pictures on the listing have even been the same, but the products I've received have varied slightly.
    Like a humbucker Tele bridge where they looked the same at a glance, but on one of them I could comfortably fit a covered humbucker through the opening, on the other I couldn't. I'm assuming that's a punching die that's been changed out when someone higher up found that a cover wouldn't fit through.

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You can probably attribute that to quality standards to some degree.

One factory could have multiple molds/dies/templates etc. for a single part with slight variation as new ones replace old/damaged ones.

When my company would order parts from certain overseas vendors there could be wildly different tolerances from piece to piece.

Hollowway likes this.
  17. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

If it works the same as a lot of other things in China, it's more like every seller has 239 different sources for his products and he likely won't be able to sell you the exact same thing twice.

18. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Covers only effect tone in a noticeable way if you don't install properly. Ideally you stick them on with a small amount of wax or something. Otherwise, the cover vibrates and creates annoying metallic sounds akin to unmuted trem springs. Microphonic, I guess would be the way to describe it. I have a guitar where if you tap the covers you can hear it through the amp cuz I didnt put them on right. Never cared to fix it cuz it's mostly a decoration guitar. Sounds like ass with the covers on and great with them off.