It Follows

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by ridner, Mar 31, 2015.

1. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Give it a shot Ash...was a lot of fun and weirdness. I was pretty tense through the whole thing. Enjoyed greatly.

2. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

That was a great movie. It had my heart pounding the entire time and the monster is such an amazing concept for horror as well. Still not a fan of the STD (sexually transmitted demon) as I still find it kind of silly, but it did make the movie a bit more interesting. It sadly still fell to the usual horror tropes though where secondary characters don't get the same treatment as the main actors, which kind of destroys any continuity. As soon as she passed it on the first encounter the monster killed the person yet in her case it did more to psychologically torture her than it seemed to do with anyone else, like when it was standing on the roof as an example. Creepy as .... for sure, but didn't quite fit the premise IMO. Definitely an 8/10.

Loved the pacing, use of music and cinematography. A big part of what kept me on the edge of my seat was the execution. They did a fantastic job. I had genuine chills several times throughout the film.

3. steinmetzify

Nice man. I get what you're saying about developing secondary characters; I just don't think there was enough time...it might have been three hours long.

I thought it was original enough, really liked it in this day of 'lets remake everything horror ever, because 20 yr olds haven't seen it yet'...

4. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I think my favorite part of the movie is that the background info was never fleshed out, the movie ended without the event concluding and the monster is still alive. I love movies that leave you questioning why and leave you completely hanging at the end. In my opinion a movie where the good guys win usually doesn't make for good horror.

Also, I don't necessarily mean fleshing out their story arcs. The idea though is it never stops walking. As far as transportation it's completely grounded in this concept and its only goal is to reach the individual to kill them. For most of the movie this worked out exactly like that. There was no logical reason for it to be on the roof though, especially since it didn't attack.

I think the reveal that only the victims can see it with the kitchen scene was top notch as well. They played out the reveals really well all throughout.

5. steinmetzify

Supposed to be working on a sequel where either that girl or someone else traces it back to where it started. Not high hopes as it might take something away from it, but I'd be interested to see what dude comes up with as far as a storyline for it.

And yeah, that kitchen scene was pretty chilling.

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Seriously? Sounds terrible. I'll see what happens, but those kinds of "sequels" that just attempt to explain the original usually end in disaster, or boredom and pointlessness at best. Exorcist The Beginning, Ring 0, Rec 2, etc. I can't think of a sequel that explained a first, mysterious movie that wasn't a big letdown. 2010 is about the only one that isn't outright bad, but I can't think of anyone who thinks it's necessary or that it improves 2001.

7. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

I ran into one of my buddies at the local used CD/DVD/game shop the other day and he told me that he saw It Follows. First thing out of his mouth about the film was how great the soundtrack was. And I agreed with him. Disasterpeace did a great job on the soundtrack because it really is what adds to the atmosphere of the overall film.

Yes. Agreed. When you see it walking behind them in the very last scene before the credits, you just are left not knowing...

Yeah, read about that when I first saw the film. I guess Hollywood has to cash in on everything in any way they can nowadays. Everything has a sequel. Everything with more than one sequel becomes a massive franchise that eventually tanks. Ugh...especially with anything pertaining to the horror genre. Seems like it's just a genre comprised of sequels. (I mean, come on, does nothing scare us any more? Surely there are other topics that horror movies could be made about besides sequel upon sequel of monsters, vampires, werewolves, demons, possessions, zombies, serial killers, etc.?)

8. lelandbowman3

lelandbowman3 SS.org Regular

It was too "artsy" for a horror movie, at least for me. The quality of production was awesome, but the story just kinda fell flat for me. I'm not trying to "dismiss" it, but it just wasn't scary because there wasn't really a sense of urgency. I mean, the shape-shifting creature trying to get to the characters was unnerving at some points, but for the most part, it didn't show what would happen if they got to them. The only concept of death was the beginning, where, for me, it looked like the girl ran herself over with a car..? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but it felt this was just like a more cinnematic "13 ghosts" where they weren't bound to a house.
    It's very clear that it was trying to revamp "slasher" movies with an undefined ghost instead of a hacking, slashing maniac in that the main focus was the dangers of underage sex. And again, there wasn't a sense of urgency more than a ghostly game of tag.

But that's me. Everyone has their own definition of what's scary. This just wasn't my cup of tea.

9. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

What?!
    Herpes From Hell wasn't scary?
    I hear you brother :yesway:

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah it did. When it gets Greg, or whatever his name was, by imitating his mother; 'it' has sex with him and he dies as a result of it. Same for the girl in the beginning of the film, she ran from it, eventually gave up and we see her disfigured on a beach.

11. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I liked it and then watched it with my bud and he had a similar opinion about it. Wasn't his thing. I must admit it isn't a movie I'd want to watch multiple times, aside from maybe seeing some of the visuals, which were pretty great.

I don't usually judge scary movies based on how scary they are as I've yet to see a scary movie that was really terrifying. When you're not superstitious it removes a lot of the 'this could happen' vibes some people get when watching scary movies.

12. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

I'm not superstitious and I have no beliefs.
    When I watch a movie, I put myself in it like if it was happening to me so a lot of horror movies felt scary to me even though I have no beliefs.
    In all movies about demons I see them as monsters so I put religion out of it, this way I can put myself in it.
    A good story with good acting and good direction can be scary even if the plot is against whatever you believe or not.

13. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Yeah, but I just don't believe demons and whatnot could exist even without the religious connotation. Same applies for zombies, werewolves, vampires, Freddy's, Michael Myers, etc. Stories about real people tend to freak me out a bit more, like the movie Strangers, but even then I'm aware how rare/unlikely such a thing is and it just doesn't scare me anymore. What I mean by scary as well is that lingering since of fear and doom from seeing a horror movie. Like watching Halloween back in the 70's at the theater and then walking home constantly looking over your shoulder. By not superstitious I mean I don't believe in anything supernatural at all.

14. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Yep I agree, reality is far more scary, humans are capable of things even Satan would run away!
    About supernatural........remember our bodies have more bacteria than body cells, we can't see them but they are there for sure.So think about supernatural as things our eyes can't see, the same way some animals can hear frequencies we can't etc, our senses have limits so MAYBE there are stuff we can't see/hear, this way supernatural becomes more acceptable, what people call ghosts(dead people), I call creatures from a spectrum which only some of us can see but for sure they're not dead people with too much free time :lol:

15. MetalGuitarArmoury

MetalGuitarArmoury SS.org Regular

Yeah, I have to say, I sort of hope that they don't get the sequel together. It was a good movie, but it seems like it will lose something if whatever it is gets explained. Somehow it's more frightening not knowing anything at all about it.

16. MFB

MFB ExBendable

The only way I feel an origin for this sort of thing works is if it's the 'urban legend given power by belief from others' method. Kind of like how Freddy only has power if people believe in him and fear him; this could be the same deal. Some kid started a rumor about it, more and more people spread it giving it actual credit and fear, and it was born from that.

Anything else seems like it wouldn't work

17. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Man's greatest fear is the unknown: that which he does not understand.