It Follows

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by ridner, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ridner

ridner Bastard of Thousands

Thinking about checking this one out. Anybody else?!

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I saw it the other day. It is one of the best pure horror movies I've seen in a long time. The cinematography and score were like a brilliant homage to the original Halloween, I loved almost the entire thing. It's definitely doing very different things to that movie, the main concept has nothing in common, but it took some tricks from that movie (and the neighborhood looked very much like the one used for Haddonfield). The score was like John Carpenter on extreme steroids, it was one of the best horror soundtracks I've ever heard. It might have been one of the best soundtracks I've heard, period. It's moody, seething and playful in equal measure and when it gets pounding it is just as classic and terrifying as the original Halloween's stalking music.

I thought it was tense for almost the entire movie and made great use of that John Carpenter trick of having things loom out of the corner or out of focus in the background. It was pretty genuinely creepy and intense. It had a few jump scares but it was more the relentlessness of it made it so I was never able to relax, which definitely qualifies it as actually scary in my book. It was so pared down and good. I loved that there was just plain no explanation or backstory or even a hint at one. The last shot reminded me VERY much of Martha Marcy Mae Marlene, which had one of the best endings I can think of.

This was one of the best horror experiences I've had in the theater, and I'm really glad it went into wide release.

If you're a "horror fan" (aka love loud jump scares and gore) you might hate it. The rude, fat, nacho-eating chicks in the theater when I was there sure did. :D

3. ridner

awesome. going to see it after work today

4. cavitation

cavitation SS.org Regular

The wife and I watched it last weekend. The score/soundtrack were excellent and definitely kept the tension on high. It was indeed a love letter to Carpenter's Halloween. The one thing I didn't care for was the distant attitude of the actors. Seemed like everyone was on pills or something as there was a very distant vibe to the proceedings. That is really me just nitpicking. It was a good flick and I am interested in seeing what the director does next.

FWIW, this movie (and especially the sound design) reminded me of the movie The Guest. Very early 80's vibe and very effective in ramping up whatever was happening on screen.

5. wankerness

I watched The Guest the other day because I wanted to see more from Maika Monroe (star of It Follows), it had a great opening where it feels like a crazy horror movie but the stuff with the army sorta makes it turn into a standard action/thriller for a while. She's good, though. It's definitely a solid action/thriller/suspense movie until the last 10 seconds (one of the stupidest endings ever).

The distant vibe of It Follows was a big part of why it worked for me, it matched the photography and music perfectly. It felt kind of like The Virgin Suicides (another movie about disaffected youths dying mysteriously in Detroit). It was very intentional, but I can understand if you disliked it.

6. cavitation

I totally forgot that is where I recognized the actress from :facepalm

7. ridner

I liked the vibe, cinematography and score more than the actual movie. It was nice to see a bunch of places I recognized in and around Detroit - I used to live there - that was actually the best part of the movie for me. Not terrible, but I expected more.

8. cavitation

I think they could have done a bit more with the environment. The suburb scenes were fine but once you got into the more blighted areas; it definitely gave off a very creepy vibe.

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I just think the concept of a sexually transmitted demon (STD?) is rather hilarious on its own. I'll watch it if I get the chance though.

10. wankerness

I would strongly advise against reading anything about the plot before seeing it. Not for plot spoilers, but because it will give a very wrong impression of what the movie's like. The concept sounds retarded if you try to describe it. It's completely effective in the movie cause the concept of the creature is so secondary to everything else.

11. wankerness

This came out on video yesterday, anyone that has any interest in artier horror flicks needs to see it. It's very character-driven and the dialogue is very low-key so if you're mainly into stuff like Sinister or Hostel or TCM remakes or the Saw movies or whatever you'll probably just think it's boring, but it's really great. I watched it again last night and it all holds up and I'm even more impressed by the cinematography now that I had the chance to examine it without being terrified in the theater. :p

12. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Watched it via a streaming site awhile back. It was alright. Not really scary or terrfying in my opinion, but very eerie. It creeped me out having a person just walking towards you like that - always following and moving towards you.

My post from the "Movies You've Been Watching" thread:

13. wankerness

I don't really get the "not scary" dismissal in critiques of horror movies, unless it's one of those movies that has nothing going for it other than volume of jump scares (ex Sinister) or is purely a series of attempts to be disgusting (ex Serbian Film). Who finds ANY horror movie scary after the first time they watch it? I watch horror movies nonstop and you just get desensitized very early on. Dismissing anything because "it's not scary" is moronic, as scares have diminishing returns over time, no matter how crappy the movies you're watching are. Ex, if you watch something incredibly archetypal of current scare techniques (like the aforementioned Sinister) in which it's just a series of annoying jump scares that are hammered into the viewer through the technique of using a GIGANTIC soundtrack hit that's light-years louder relative to the rest of the movie than the likes of the old classics like Carrie or Halloween, you're going to find the old ones "not scary."

Likewise, anything that was scary because of disgusting imagery or shocks is going to seem quaint given improvements in technology and decreases in censorship. The old classics weren't good just because they were scary, they were good because they held up on other levels. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre rattled me when I saw it in high school and it hasn't since, but I have only grown to appreciate it more over the years. Similarly, The Exorcist just made me laugh when I was an idiot highschooler who approached every horror movie as if it was a challenge that I was trying to overcome by not being scared by it, and since I've grown to think it's probably top 10 horror movies of all time (and still 100% unscary in any way, since I have never had a shred of belief in demonic possession).

The only horror movies I can think of that I have a strong opinion of because they scared me were the first theatrical version of Ju-On (saw it in a theater, was scared silly by the nonstop barrage of jump scares), The Descent (I got freaked out by the cave exploration the first time I saw it), Ring (I was stoned the first time I saw it so I almost had a panic attack at the famous climactic scene) and [REC] (first saw it on my computer during college while wearing headphones, but even in that venue I was legitimately scared to look at the screen through the finale!). None of them scared me on repeat viewings, but I still like them all quite a bit.

I think It Follows absolutely holds up since it's got such weird atmosphere and style. It takes place in some kind of ambiguous 70s/80s-looking world in terms of costume/art design, but with enough modern technology that it's obviously not intended as a period piece. Adults are almost non-existent in the world of the movie, with parents being almost complete non-entities on the level of the old Charlie Brown show, except when the creature takes on the form of the otherwise unglimpsed mother of one character, or the dead (?) father of others. And the central concept is this bizarre thing that's so ambiguous that it can evoke just about anything for different viewers.

Even on second watch, a couple scenes in the movie legitimately did give me the "hair-raising" feel of seeing something that's actively upsetting vs just a jump scare, particularly the early scene in the kitchen and a couple of the other sudden appearances of the creature where it has the heroine backed into a room, which is VERY rare for someone as desensitized as me (I watch several horror movies a week on average :ugh:), but they weren't why I responded so strongly to the movie.

14. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

I watched this just a few minutes ago. This thing really wigged me out. Nothing horror related has grabbed me like this since The Strangers.

The weirdness of it wigged me, the decade ambiguity really disoriented me and the sheer inexorable-ness of this thing JUST NOT STOPPING EVER really got to me. Haven't enjoyed a horror film like that in a long time. I thought it was fresh and dug it a lot.

Cracked me up that I came here to post this and the OP was you, Rob. 😂😂😂😂

Was gonna tell you about it in the morning. Should have figured you'd already seen it.

15. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

I saw the movie,
    I enjoyed it.
    I would definatelty recommend others to check it out

16. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Haha, two of my favorite movies since high school. The original TCM is definitely a TOP top favorite.

I watched The Grudge for the first time recently. That actually freaked me out. Definitely need to see the original Japanese version.

Ditto. Really freaked me out.

Watched this about two years ago. I still need to watch the original Japanese version.

Been meaning to watch this since it's one of the best "zombie" flicks on all these online lists apparently. (Even though it's not really about "zombies".)

I get what you're saying, wankerness. And I completely agree with you. This is a great modern horror flick because it still accomplishes its mission and provides that eerie "hair-raising" feel at times. I wasn't passively dismissing the flick at all. It's just that it didn't particularly get to me as much as some other examples of horror movies have done in the past.

I really dug the sort of 70s-80s vibe that the film had going on. Reminds me of the old, original horror movies from that time where the carefree kid(s) was/were hunted down by some killer, malevolent force, brush with death, etc.

17. wankerness

Ju-On has gone through several remakes and reconfigurations of the same material. The same director made two TV movies, then re-made the first TV movie as "Ju-On: The Grudge" for theatrical release, then re-made it AGAIN for the US version (simply titled "The Grudge"). I think the Japanese theatrical version is the strongest, but it was also what I saw first and since all three contain many of the same scares, I think whatever you see first might be your favorite. The American version is really pretty good, I like that they kept it set in Japan and I like the additional alienation feeling that comes from having it around Americans stuck in a foreign country. It also reinstates one of the big scares from the TV movie which wasn't in the Japanese theatrical one (that hideous scene with the jaw). I'd say it's still worth seeing the Japanese theatrical one if you've seen the American one, but it might feel like a retread to you.

I prefer the remake of The Ring to the Japanese one, but they're both worth watching. The American one has a few more jump scares (ex, the horse and the dead body in the closet), but I think it's better paced and that the higher production values made a few of the scenes more effective than they were in the original version. The Japanese one's videotape is definitely creepier though. Naomi Watts is another point in its favor, since she was one of my favorite actresses of the 2000s, though the original actress was good as well. Then again, it might be like Ju-On where I just prefer the remake cause I saw it first!

18. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

The wife and I saw it. We just thought it was "Meh...". It was entertaining but not really very frightening or scary. I honestly think they could've done so much more with it. Best scene I liked was when it came up behind her and her hair lifted up into the air and the struggle ensued. Aside from that it was pretty much all just running away and the one dude that gets killed.

It's worth a watch but I don't think it holds up to repeated views personally. I definitely don't think it's the horror movie of the decade or anything as awesome and "classic" as some of the reviews are painting it.

Rev.

19. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

The wife an I saw it in the theater while it was still a limited release. We absolutely loved it. We purchased the soundtrack as soon as it came out, and even pre-ordered he dvd. We watched it again once it arrived, still awesome as hell.

As previously stated, it's just a great horror flick. Pays a lot of homage to the classics, and yet still stands on its own.

20. asher

asher So Did We

So I haven't seen it, but I'm actually kinda curious to..

But I mostly dropped in to say that the soundtrack is done by the same guy who did the music for the game FEZ.

Yes, that wonderful joyous pixel indie game :lol:

He's utterly brilliant and is a Berklee grad, and on his own time pretty much writes chiptune BTBAM. Disasterpeace