Issue with electrical buzz

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Frostbite, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I have a guitar that I recently got that seems to have some sort of electrical issue that I can not for the life of me figure out. I have looked this guitar electrically over multiple times and looked at every single solder joint and connection in it and they are all solid yet it keeps making a buzzing noise. I've uploaded an example of the noise

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k-9UxmF-qmhxn39_b9-BxkCQQv8bJsyZ/view?usp=sharing

The weird thing about the noise is if I move my hand to the area around the input jack but DON'T touch it it gets better. If my hand is floating anywhere towards the bottom area of the guitar without actually touching the guitar, it quiets down or goes away. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also point of note, my setup is a direct line into a scarlett 2i2 gen 2 into reaper with TSE X50. Using other guitars with the exact same setup do not produce the noise

2. Frostbite

Did a little more testing and the noise just randomly seems to get worse and then better absolutely randomly

3. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Some questions to get started: What kind of guitar is it? Does it have active or passive pickups and was there a recent swap of one type for the other? Are your other guitars (that don't have this issue) configured differently? Is the control cavity of the guitar shielded? Does adding gear to the signal chain make it worse? Are you using a CRT monitor? Have you tried using the guitar with a "live" rig and are there noise issues there?

Another thing to consider is that even though all the solder connections in the guitar appear fine, there could be a low-quality component in there that is the culprit.

bostjan likes this.
  4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Replace the guts.

Parts, even high quality ones, are cheap and replacement should take minutes.

The electronic components and connections degrade over time, if even properly installed and not just "bad" from the get go.

It sounds like there is a shielding/ground issue. But without a lot more info, as Demiurge asked, I can't say more.

5. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

I've had similar issues (same noise) with one guitar: 90% of the time is a ground issue.
    In my case the noise stopped when touching the bridge or tuning pegs.

Maybe there is a ground wire-output socket connection issue(degraded solder joint).

6. Frostbite

What kind of guitar is it?
    Schecter Banshee FR

Does it have active or passive pickups and was there a recent swap of one type for the other?
    passive pick ups and the pick ups and no it has always had passive

Are your other guitars (that don't have this issue) configured differently?
    My other test guitar is my 7 string Schecter Banshee so very similarly configured but with SD Nagul/Sentient pick ups instead of the schecter brimstone pick ups

Is the control cavity of the guitar shielded?
    Does not appear to be. It looks to just be painted black with shielding on the back of the cavity cover

Does adding gear to the signal chain make it worse?
    Since I don't have a ton of gear and the only gear I have have noise gates in them (Horizon PD and ISP Decimator) those seem to make it better or the same even if the gates aren't on.

Are you using a CRT monitor?
    Nope

Have you tried using the guitar with a "live" rig and are there noise issues there?
    Unfortunately I can since I don't have a cab to hook my 5150 up too ATM or else I would have tried that

7. Frostbite

I guess I'll try and re do a few more solder joints and if that doesn't work I'll buy new parts. I'm absolute garbage at soldering so at the very least this will be interesting haha. I guess my only question is if anyone has any ideas as to why just putting my hand in the vicinity of the output jack, not even touching it, would make the noise better. I just want to possibly get a better understanding of how that could even be possible

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Likely due to an issue with the shielding, or grounding of the shielding. Your hand is influencing the fields around the guitar.

9. Frostbite

Odd thing is I woke up this morning and the guitar was pretty quiet. Still not 100% but enough that my gates can cover it without issue. If it gets worse I'll take your guys advice and re do the wiring and replace the pots and switch. Probably shield the control cavity too. Thanks as always for the helps guys

10. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

^That's good. Anything difference about the playing conditions today- were there lights, appliances, or other gear in the room that's normally on but was off, for instance? Obviously, if there's noise problem and a guitar that's susceptible to interference, mitigating the source of the interference can be a temporary band-aid solution.

11. Frostbite

I thought about that too since I saw the thread about the guys mouse causing noise with his HD500 and nothing. I had the exact same gear on when I woke up as I went to sleep so there's nothing that stands out