ISP Decimator Pedal Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Rev2010, Dec 12, 2005.

1. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I simply want to tame feedback from my Mesa rig. Would the pedal version be enough you think?

2. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Whoa, sorry I never saw this Zimbloth. I know I'm a month late but here it goes...

The ISP Decimator works best with amps that have a series loop. Most Mesa's by default have a parallel loop. I had my Triple Rec modified to a series loop using a mod directly from Mesa. I couldn't be happier. Now I just stick the ISP at the end of the effect chain that's in the effects loop and it keeps everything dead silent. And yes, it would help cut down on feedback, even more so at slightly higher settings. But with a parallel loop you can only use it in front of the amp, not in the loop, so it would probably still help a lot in that it would be gating your pickups but I can't say this with 100% certainty since I've never used it this way.

Rev.

3. zimbloth

Yeah I appreciate it, but it is too late :) I've already purchased a Boss NS-2 and I use it in front of the amp, not in the loop yet, and I love it. Totally transparent and eliminated all the feedback. I did try a ISP Decimator pedal they had used at GC with a Recto head the same way and it did the job seemingly just as well if not better, the knobs were just way more sensitive than the Boss'. I haven't tried it in the loop yet, but if you check what DSS3 said in my review for the NS-2 in the Gear Review section, I may try running it that way when I get more cables.

4. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

i have reccomend this pedal the various guitar players with 50 50 decide on getting it...the boss has more of a taylored settings..but they do not work for cleans and distorts the same...the ISP has one setting set it for clean and dist and go..this too stinks at times...but putting either on in the loop is a great idea...i run an ISP decimator in the loop......of dist channel only..cleans and leads no ISP!!! it will kill the vol tone settings you wanna do on the fly....

5. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

I use the ISP decimator pedal in the loop of my 5150 combo and it works great.
    Works well in the loop of my B-52 as well , but that amp is a lot quiter so it stays on my 5150.

6. zimbloth

Yeah, the NS2 sucks if you switch to clean, but we really dont have many clean passages with my current band so it's not a big issue.

7. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

ZIMBLOTH......why do i usually agree with you...? must be because you are a Freak like myself....hows that BC Jr comming along...I just saw Ernies...the new guitar player for Iced earths new custom Vixen the other day...really nice guitar....Boss's NS-2 is a disappointment in the effects loop...I.S.P. all the way!!!!
    I wanna try thier Vector series cabs too!!!!

8. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

I picked up a Super C Hush but maybe I should sell it and save for the ISP.

9. zimbloth

Hey Jerich. The Custom Vixen 7 should be done any day now. I expect it in a week or so. I can't wait.

Yes the NS-2 in the loop isnt good. I use it in front of the amp and thats how you get the perfect results (unless you switch to cleans). I tried an ISP Decimator pedal and that's awesome too. I'd recommend the NS-2 or the ISP to anyone. I tried the Rocktron and it was just horrible.

10. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

I've been using the Hush units for over 8 years, first the super C and now the pedal since it does what I need for half the price. I ALWAYS put the Hush first in the chain, even before the wah or boosters/overdrives I use occasionally. I have never had issues with needing different settings for clean and dirty.

I recommend that you guys try putting whatever unit you use first in the chain, before your amp, and see if it makes a difference for you. Most people don't believe me when I say what a difference it makes, but you just have to try it out for yourself.

11. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Well, when I first got the ISP I was curious and tried it a number of ways and I found the most useful was putting the ISP in the effects loop but before my effects unit (Boss GT-8) since if it came after the GT-8 it would cutoff delay and reverb tails. The GT-8 is a dead quiet processor so it didn't really make any difference putting it before the effects unit. Since I use the amps gain I put the ISP in the loop to cutout amp hiss from the gain that wouldn't normally be silenced putting the ISP between the guitar and amp.

Rev.

12. skinhead

skinhead Manager / RHLC ©

I listened the demos on the web, it looks really good!

13. totaluntruth

totaluntruth the darkerside

Look this peadal is so sweet - just keep it where you need it and its like a god came down from heaven and pimp slapped sound out the frame! I have a decemator and an ns2. One for my guitty and the other for my loop. Its like this--- all unstomped = its raining blood -1 stomp on my ns2 and its drizzling blood -1 stomp on my decemator and its complete suicide SILENCE.

14. Wachu

Wachu SS.org Regular

I think I have a problem with my ISP, I run it with 6505+,and when I put in the loop, the sound is totaly muddy even when is off! When I run in front of amp I can set it max to -40, then is silence,but it strarts gets muddy, sound is clear at -50,but then it doesen't take a noise! my f. god! The amp is new,so I wondering meyby is something from him,I dont know. Anyone run ISP thru 6505+?any sugestions?

15. progmetal85

progmetal85 SS.org Regular

I have a Peavy JSX and I had the same "muddy" sound and I think the cause of it was a dying battery. I put a new battery in the pedal, everything was fine until it started to do it again a couple days later after extensive playing. I hope its just the battery so i can just buy a power supply but im going to an amp repair guy to get him to take a look once he changes the tubes out for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions?