ISP Decimator: Normal & G String versions - differences

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Skin Coffin, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Skin Coffin

Skin Coffin SS.org Regular

Hey guys! I'm looking for a noise suppressor and after a few searching, the answer couldn't be clearer: ISP Decimator rules, there is nothing better that that. The thing is, they're expensive as hell and if I wanted one I would need to save for half an year or so. However, I have a guy selling me one Pro Rack Stereo (not the G version) for 250€. It's a great deal considering it's 460€ retail price. Is it that different from the G string version? Do you think I should go for it?

Cheers! :)

RichIKE likes this.
  2. Skin Coffin

No help? I know this may have been discussed before, but I'd still like to know if you think I should buy it or not.

3. Jzbass25

Jzbass25 SS.org Regular

I think the g-string has extra inputs to facilitate noise reduction in pedals as well as the amp itself? I'm not sure though.

4. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

Im assuming you're talking about the Pro rack vs the Pro rack G?

The pedals are the Decimator and the Decimator G-string.

Decimator: 1 input 1 output. I use it infront of my preamp (after guitar). You can use it in your loop too.
    G-string: 2 sets of in/out. So you put it infront of your amp and in the loop (or after preamp)
    Pro rack: 1in/1out
    Pro rack G: Same setup as g-string
    Pro rack G Stereo: Same set up as g-string, but only useful if you're running stereo say a stereo effects to different channels of a power amplifier.

5. Skin Coffin

Thanks, guys! It's not that I know a lot about those stuff, but it really helped me see there were big differences. However, since I can't afford a new Pro Rack G, do you think I should go for the Pro Rack for 250€?

6. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

i'd think gstring pedal woild be better option than regular prorack

7. Skin Coffin

you mean the g-string pedal'?

8. incinerated_guitar

incinerated_guitar SS.org Regular

The g series responds to the guitar signal. The weaker you play, the weaker the gate. If you stop instantly, it closes instantly, let your note fade, the gate slowly closes with the note. G series basically reacts with your guitar, much better IMO. The regular is just like a super nice boss ns-2:agreed:

9. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

na2 can do x pattern, regular decimator is in and out only.

10. Skin Coffin

So basically, for 250€, I'd rather get a G-string pedal than the regular Pro Rack?

11. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

I've heard mixed from other people about the g-string. I don't have one personally but I can just refer you to older threads on the matter. People seem to think that ISP's claim that you don't have to set the gate between distorted and clean tons is a bit of an exaggeration.

I would just get the pedal and put it in a rack shelf. I've also been considering making a half rack chassis for it.

12. clark81

clark81 SS.org Regular

Ok , the G string RACK version responds to the guitar signal and makes up the threshold corresponding to it. The G string PEDAL version just cuts unwanted noise that your pickups might capture, even radio signal or hum.
    The only difference in the rack except for the threshold system, is that it accepts both +4 and -10 signal and that there is a version also for stereo setup
    I own both and I strongly recommend the rack version as long as you need its features, otherwise the pedal will do the same job

Hope this cleared the waters a bit

13. Skin Coffin

But you're talking about the G version aren't you? I'm comparing the Pro Rack version (not Pro Rack G) and the Decimator G-String Pedal. The normal Pro Rack retails for 450€ and the pedal for 250€. I have a guy selling me the normal Pro Rack for 250€, do you think I should go for it or buy the new g-string pedal?

EDIT:

Actually, I can get the regular Pro Rack for 200€

14. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

Try finding out what you need with your rackhead/situation.

Turn the guitar volume off, then crank the amp channels. Try this again but turn the guitar volume up while muting all the strings. Is the preamp section noisy at the gain setting you like? If it is, you'll probably need a decimator that can go in your fx loop.

The decimator in front of your amp will keep the staccato and tight picking insanely immediate, in the loop it kills the noise for a beautiful dead silence (provided you don't have any hum in your power section). My Engl has a noise gate after the pre so all I needed was the regular pedal- you may or may not need both.

15. Skin Coffin

I can't try that now, my amp is not with me, but I'm running an ENGL Rackhead 860, it doesn't have a noise gate and, as most ENGLs, is really noisy. What do you think?

16. christheasian

christheasian SS.org Regular

I've owned the rack, normal, and g-string versions and I can honestly say if I had to go back to one, it would just be the normal version. the g-string is more money and just extra baggage. the rack would be nice if you're doing high gain only.

17. Skin Coffin

Thanks for the input, man. I'm not a gear whore, or a tone whore, so I think it might work fine for me.

18. incinerated_guitar

incinerated_guitar SS.org Regular

Sorry for the late reply, but yea pretty much. The G does a lot more, and it doesnt cost much more either.:hbang:

19. Skin Coffin

Damn, I wished the normal one was at least equivalent :lol: well, I guess I'll be passing this "deal"

20. drenz

drenz SS.org Regular

The g-string decimator is just 2 decimators in one that can gate the front of the amp and the effects loop simultaneously.
    In the past i used to use an ordinary decimator in the front of the amp, and another decimator in the effects loop, and both setups yielded the same result.