Is Trump really gonna get there ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Oh, no, I think you're getting what I meant backwards, or maybe I'm saying it wrong - I think Popadoupalous is an important example not because it was a newsworthy event, but because it was an example of something that, while newsworthy, didn't make the news, for months after it happened.

By extension, while there's a lot the media is covering in Mueller's investigation, it seems pretty likely that there's a lot happening that they're not covering, because they don't know about it.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yeah, I got it. I guess I have a tendency to repeat myself unnecessarily.

It could be that the frequency of news updates about Mueller's current location, and whom he is questioning now and whom he will be questioning next is a sort of backlash to that fat that you brought up. Maybe reporters said "Oh shit, how did we miss that?! We'd better start reporting every time he farts!"

3. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I think some of that's just the internet and social media. If we had all that back when Ken Starr was investigating Clinton, we probably would've had more of a circus (and I do remember it getting quite a bit of coverage on the evening news at the time).

4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I have been engaging in Socratic questioning with my more conservative friends over the past few years, asking them about things which Trump states which are objectively and provably untrue, and then asking them if they would trust such a person with their lives.

To their credit, most of them have actually gained an awareness of how Trump violates their professed (loudly and often) religious faith, and know that they must either temper their religious proselytizing when mixing it with politics, or have me make a point of bringing up the sexual assaulter and serial adulterer whom they used to constantly defend.

And some of them have actually turned their back on Trump because of their faith, while repudiating the religious right as well.

----

There's nothing wrong with news services pulling together video montages of Trump contradicting himself, incidentally, and such montages make the point without needing anyone else beyond Trump to point out the contradictions.

AngstRiddenDreams likes this.
  5. Explorer

And now, as I pointed out was likely, Ivanka's finances is being investigated, with a focus on properties opened since Trump hecoming president, and on foreign financing.

AngstRiddenDreams likes this.
  6. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Here is one of my favorite montages. If you're not familiar with this woman, she's married to a guy others in this thread were referring to in the Ken Starr investigation for lying about getting his dick sucked by an intern.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  7. bostjan

Yeah, Clinton was and is a hot mess. The Democrats made a huge miscalculation supporting her, and I believe it was a mistake. But she lost almost all of her relevance over a year ago, so while I don't mind you posting the video, I think it's kind of weird to post it in response to what @Explorer said. Frankly, the whole "support Trump, because Clinton" thing is just illogical. Clinton is no longer Trump's opponent. Also, if you don't like the Big Mac, it doesn't mean that you have to like the Whopper. It makes me wonder if this is what it's going to be two years from now when the Democrats try to win the presidency back; are Republicans still going to be going on and on about Clinton, or are they going to change the subject to whomever is running? Either way, I bet they won't be saying too much about how impressive Trump has been as a leader. :/

zappatton2 and vilk like this.
  8. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

9. bostjan

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Saw a report this morning citing five sources close to the white house that Kelly is preparing to force Kushner and Ivanka out, and Trump is on board even though he's privately telling them they can stay, after the recent news about Kushner getting business loans from people he'd met with previously in official White House business. You hear a lot of these stories, so I don't know how credible it is.

I also saw a story that the White House is preparing for McMaster's departure, possibly within the month - I don't see this as highly credible either, but you never know. Personally, I'd bet on Kelly going before either of those three.

11. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Tariff question!

Does it apply only to raw material for manufacturing like steel work-pieces or does it apply to all steel imports, finished products or otherwise?

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

13. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Technically, he tweeted about "Alex Baldwin", but then he deleted it.

StevenC, bostjan and vilk like this.
  14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Dude, what kind of person can't even spell "dying"? And that's like not even a plausible autocorrect

StevenC likes this.
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Well, he hasn't signed anything into law yet, just held a press conference with industry leaders to indicate he would do so in the next ten days. So, there isn't much detail.

But, the coverage I've seen seems to assume that it's just a tariff on raw materials, rather than finished goods containing steel and aluminum. I would have to assume that, given how negative the reaction was to a raw materials tariff, if he tried to extend it to finished goods, it would be a market bloodbath.

Also, the largest exporter of steel and aluminum to the US is Canada, who is NOT happy about this latest development. They haven't responded yet, but they've indicated that retaliatory tariffs are likely in the pipeline.

16. bostjan

I'd be dieiding from laughter if this wasn't our president, Donothy Trump. Bring back Obama, he was less of a knobhead.

I'd be dying from laughter if this wasn't our president Donald Trump. Bring back Obama, he was less of a knobhead.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

CNBC is talking about the steel tariffs now - evidently the Chinese steel producers association is a little perplexed, and when asked for a comment said that since less than 3% of Chinese steel goes to the US, these new tariffs barely impact them at all. Really, all Trump is doing is screwing Canada. Ironically they now have a guy from the Union of Steel Workers up talking now, who seems unaware of this and is saying that Trump should be targeting firms that "cheat" like China, and should exempt ones that don't, like Canada.

18. Explorer

The one overwhelmingly credible thing about this is that Trump, in spite of his claims that he is strong enough to confront "bad hombres," is a complete coward when those people aren't afraid of him and when he has no power over them.

His fears about being in a room with unarmed students, and his fear of facing the press in the White House press room, just ooze from this story of lying to Jared and Ivanka to avoid confrontation.

19. Explorer

Incidentally, did anyone else see reports that Trump crony Carl Icahn just happened to sell $31 million in steel shares just before Trump announced the tariffs? Complete coincidence, I'm sure, but I do hope that gets verified.

20. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins