Is Trump really gonna get there ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I mean, I'm busy praying that having passed the bill, without even reading the damn thing, will ensure that they're all defeated in 2018 no matter what happens during the interim.

But hope/prayer is all I've got, and I'm not a True Believer. At this point, I know it to be fact that GOP reps could literally pull off their human masks to reveal lizard heads underneath, and declare war upon the human race, and they still wouldn't lose any support from their base. The tribalism is that deep.

vilk and zappatton2 like this.
  2. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

StevenC likes this.
  3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yep, exactly. A video could come out tomorrow of Trump sticking a baby in the microwave and hitting start, and there's not any chance that he'd be impeached until (unless) there's 60 democrats in the senate. There's not a shred of integrity in there.

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Ugh, you would!

Everyone knows Kang cares about his voters, unlike Kodos and his group

zappatton2 likes this.
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

This weekend, Trump started calling the FBI names again, doubled down on claims that no one in his campaign did anything wrong, and also endorsed child molester, racist, and gay-hater Roy Moore for congress. He said that we need people like Moore in congress to fight the democrats.

It's despicable. Moore is a horrible human being. His platform is horrible. His politics are horrible. The accusations against him are horrible. Okay. So Trump, in his extreme double-standard calls for Moore to be elected, yet is calling for others accused of sexual misconduct (of lesser extent than child molestation) to be fired, if they are democrat. Basically, if you are on the same side of the fence as Trump, and you were accused of something, you are innocent. If you disagree with Trump, and you were accused of something, you are guilty. No regard for any investigation to see if the person is guilty or not, no, why would we need that? Agree and you are pardoned; get in Trump's way, and you are fired. What a disgusting pile of bullshit.

For police, they are doing a great job as long as they are busy shooting innocent Australian soccer moms and planting guns on black folks they murdered, but if they are investigating Trump (that is to say "doing their jobs"), then those same cops are the scum of the earth, according to the president's public tweets.

I sure hope justice is swift and especially ironic for Trump. :mad:

zappatton2 and narad like this.
  6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

So, I'm still trying to parse the last minute changes to the tax bill, and I guess I have a couple initial thoughts.

1) It's POSSIBLE the final bill coming out of conference won't be awful. The major surprise last-minute change to the bill was the re-inclusion of a modified personal and corporate AMT, this time indexed to inflation (IMO, as it should have been from the start). That means the Senate bill, which incorporates a modified AMT and doubles the limit but does not eliminate the estate tax, is a fair amount less regressive than the House bill. On the other hand, it does incorporate an ACA mandate repeal, which (IMO) is the single most disasterous part of the Senate legislation (though, the way it treats tuition reimbursement/scolarship from a taxation standpoint is a close runner up - aren't we supposed to be encouraging higher ed, not actively discouraging it?). It's possible to picture a final bill that preserves the Senate estate tax and AMT provisions, does away with the ACA mandate repeal to bring it in line with the house, and takes Trump's tossed off offer to up the corporate rate a little, say to 22%, to pay for this as well as restore some tax breaks designed to help the working poor and middle class. I'm not saying it's LIKELY, just that it's possible.
    2) Looking at how everything went down, the one thing that gives me a bit of hope that this isn't going to go anywhere is it's hard to look at the bill and the debate and see it as anything other than an attempt to get something to committee. The GOP presumably learned their lesson on the ACA here. It wasn't published until the 21st in the Senate, the final draft was only released a couple hours before the vote, there are some clear errors in the way it's written (the Senate bill accidentally ended the deductibility of R&D expenses, which the Brookings Institute is pretty sure was by mistake), you have things like McCain and Collins voting for the tax bill with an ACA mandate repeal after being instrtumental in voting down the very similar "skinny repeal" several months ago, AMT is back in which was a long-running GOP target for elimination, at literally the 11th hour of debate... I have to think the Senate Republicans only passed this so they'd have a chance to hammer it out a bit further in committee with the House, and when it comes back for a second vote, there's going to be a much higher level of scrutiny. In fact, looked at in that way, some of the unexpected backtracks - R&D expensing, AMT - may actually be "features" in that it makes it extremely unlikely the House will be able to take up and successfully pass the Senate bill, meaning there's going to be an almost-guaranteed third round of voting.

More to come as this thing evolves.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor