Is this truss rod ok?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Hollowway, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

i just received this bass a couple of days ago (it’s new), and I opened the truss rod cover to get rid of a little of the neck relief, and the bass side truss rod was out all the way against the far end of the cavity. I could tap it back into place, but I was a little skeptical. I asked the luthier, and he said he didn’t lock the rods into place, in case the needed to be swapped out. The one on the treble side seems to have the nut pressed more up against the fretboard side of the cavity than the bass side was, once I tapped it back into place.

Having not seen this before, I googled it, but the answers vary between “return it, that’s 100% wrong” to “‘modern rods aren’t fixed at one end. Tighten it to taste and you’re fine.”

What do you guys thing?

[​IMG]

2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

I' ve never seen anything like that. And i clearly dont see why something like that exists. I guess put it back where it belong, tighten it and see if there is any move or buzz.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If it’s a single action rod, it’s broken off it’s anchor and needs work/replacement.

If it’s dual action, push it back in place and tighten/loosen it enough to hold itself in place.

4. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Sloppy work. A trussrod channel should be routed so tight that the trussrod really needs to be pressed in. The one single reason to tighten a trussrod should be adjusting the neck, not holding it in place...

NateFalcon and KnightBrolaire like this.
  5. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

I don't see how leaving a rod loose is a good idea and looking at that pic it looks like it wouldn't slide right out anyway if it needed to be swapped out. My own preference is to fix the rod in firmly to avoid any rattle.

The string spacing is way out on the 4th and 5th.

KR250 likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

:agreed:

I’d definitely send this thing back.

7. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

And now that I took a closer look at the picture: some of the nut slots look very loose, although the top view never tells the whole story...

8. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

The only thing I could really add is that it’s very odd to me that you were able to tap it back into place unless you clamped it so that the neck/truss rod channel was perfectly straight.

I would think the channel would be pretty darn tight and that the only hope of moving the rod would be if the neck where clamped perfectly straight. Otherwise I would expect the rod to bind in the channel and be pretty much impossible to move.

Unless that’s how you moved it, I would be concerned the channel is oversized for the rod.

ElRay likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

return the bass.

10. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

I'd never be ok with a loose truss rod, mainly as others mentioned the rattling/buzzing. I don't really get the concept of making a truss rod a replaceable item either, a good quality unit should never break. At the very least should be a tight fit in the slot. It could probably be glued or wedged in with a strip of wood, if you keep it. The finish looks nice :)

11. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

Seems like a luthiery oversight. Ok so lutheir doesn't believe in tight truss rod channels for faulty rod replacement purposes. But seems like he forgot to adjust them unless he found that one functioned better for some unknown reason pushed way back into the channel?
    -Looks like a nice brass string nut and fretboard inlay, got any other pics or thread displaying the rest of the guitar?
    - if you didn't pay too much and can adjust them to no buzz and to your preferred neck relief keep it. But I would say if you payed
    over 400 bucks return it!

12. Hollowway

I’ll post some pics later. It’s a super cool looking bass. But it was $2400. It’s actually replacing the previous build, which I sent back for bad fretwork. I’ll talk with the guy, and hopefully he’ll just refund it without my having to dispute it through PayPal. In my gut I felt that the truss rods weren’t right. The nut slot on the D string is too wide. Other than that, everything looks fine. But that truss rod worries me.

13. MaxOfMetal

Come on Andy, you know better than to deal with guys like this.

Hollowway likes this.
  14. Hollowway

Having been burned as many times as I have, you’d think I’d have learned.

15. MaxOfMetal

You’re a glutton for punishment, that’s for sure.

downburst82 and Hollowway like this.
  16. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

Like others have said the truss rod slot should be very tight, at the sides and it's depth.