is this too extreme of a modification?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by soldierkahn, Oct 4, 2018.

1. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

A while back I was looking at taking my production Ibanez RG and pulling the frets out, flattening the radius to 17", and then refret it so that the radius matched the trem's but i had another idea tonight but didnt know if it was feasible.

While I really love the PRS Holcomb USA model for the 20" radius, but instead of dropping $5000 on a Holcomb, I had another idea. Im not really looking for 20" specifically but no smaller than 17" so I was wondering if it were possible to buy a normal core model PRS or even a CE, pull the frets, flatten its radius from 10" to 17", then refret it? I only ask because of the bird inlays, I dont know how thick the inlays are to withstand the change from 10 to 17. Granted, if i get a CE that has dots instead then it wouldnt matter, but I would prefer to have birds. Also, if i change the radius from 10 to 17, will i need to file the nut slots deeper to compensate? I dont think i could do anything with a locking nut unless i could file the slots in it.

Id rather pay $2-3K for a core model thats routed for a Floyd so I can drop a lopro in it, but i want to make sure that im able to flatten the necks radius without trashing the birds. Holcombs are amazing and if i can catch the right deal at the right time ill buy one in a heartbeat, but if I have alternatives it would be nice.

2. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I would ask the PRS PCT guys about it.

soldierkahn likes this.
  3. soldierkahn

Ive already asked them and they dont do re-radiusing on models. At least the models i mentioned which was the Custom 24 and the CE 24. and to route a Holcomb is almost as pricey as the instrument itself.

4. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Hmm. That might be your answer. It’s not particularly difficult compared to other things I’ve seen out of the PCT. If they won’t do it, it makes me think that something about the work worries them.

soldierkahn likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

with the specific requirements you have, you'd be better off getting a custom guitar built, or doing a kit build with a PRS style body. otherwise grab a prs torero ( which are already routed for floyds iirc) and butcher that

6. odibrom

odibrom .

Most Ibanez RGs have 16.9" / 430mm radius fingerboard profile...

NateFalcon likes this.
  7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Y r u doing things the hardest way possible.

A-Branger, budda and Mathemagician like this.
  8. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably track down a beater core series to get the base price as low as possible and figure on ~$800 - $1200 into the budget to get someone to route for a Floyd Rose and pull the fretboard and swap for right radius and appropriately deep birds. You get your wish list for $2000 or less.

USMarine75 and soldierkahn like this.
  9. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

Your RG doesn’t have a 17” already? Double check...if not, what radius do you currently have? A better question to ask if you’re dead set on a PRS would be how thick/deep their inlays typically are...?, that and a little math should get you pretty close to an answer

USMarine75 likes this.
  10. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Soldierkahn posting his own copypasta.

Ivars V likes this.
  11. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Can you even tell the difference between 17 and 20? I doubt I could.

If you want a PRS style guitar with whatever radius and a Floyd, why not just get a custom guitar builder to do it for you?

12. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I know you want what you want and try to get there as best as possible but most of your threads remind me of:

I think Kiesel can do a Floyd on a PRS body (their version), 20 inch radius and several kind of inlays for not too much if you don't go overboard with the specs. Or blank fretboard to have the birds installed. Less hassle, less money and a lot closer to your target.

soldierkahn likes this.
  13. soldierkahn

I would understand them not wanting to take a "cheap" core model like the CEs and do work on it, and I could understand them not wanting to take the job on on the more pricey core models because theres a big risk that something could go wrong and they wouldnt want to take the risk.

But when i think about it... it should be fairly straight forward. Heat the fretwire to release the gllue, remove the frets and nut. Sand fretboard down to 17", reslot the board again to make sure the fretwire slots are the correct depth, refret the board, and then put the nut back in. Now granted, i know its not as easily done as it is said, but it SEEMS like it would be fairly straightforward. Once I get more practice slotting boards, ill probably take the task on myself, but I definitely want more practice before i work on the actual instrument.

14. soldierkahn

Torero is not a core model.

15. soldierkahn

if you want to be THAT damn specific, its 16.929"....

16. soldierkahn

a refret is by no means "the hardest way possible".... just because you cant, doesnt mean its hard. just means you cant.

17. odibrom

odibrom .

This to say that your "perfect" guitar is right around the corner... LoPro, 17" radius fingerboard... choose your weapon... I guess it's time to not overthink about this.

18. soldierkahn

THANK YOU! lol, finally someone wanting to help. Yes, that is what Im trying to do. I prefer the CE models over the Customs because I prefer bolt-on necks over set necks, so thats working in my favor. The neck being removable ALSO works in my favor so that its easier to work with when you remove it. I am looking around for a CE 24 with a floyd that doesnt have a maple board though, and not getting too many choices.

Randy likes this.
  19. soldierkahn

the production and premium models have a 15.75" radius.... the Prestige models have a 16.929" radius. The reference was for a couple of months ago when I was going to flatten the production RG to 17", but then decided against it.

20. soldierkahn

I dont understand your question? I was never trying to take anything from 17" to 20", if its already at 17" i wouldnt have a problem. maybe rephrase?

Everyone always suggests getting a custom, and I have exhausted that option with every luthier suggested. Noone will make what i want, and if its a custom, IM NOT COMPROMISING. If i have to, its not a custom.