Is this a good deal? (or even a good idea)

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Van, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Van

Van Banned

Well guys, I'm not a bass player (guitarist primarily), but I wanted to start playing because everyone I know is a guitarist and it's impossible to find a bass player, and it looks enjoyable as hell.

Anyway, I went off to guitarcenter:)noplease:) to look at some basses and ran into a used seven stringed conklin groovetools gt-7 going for $500. So my question is that is it a) a good price and b) a practical guitar to learn to play bass on. Also, I'm sure this has been covered in other threads, but how is the guitar to bass transition?

2. MassNecrophagia

MassNecrophagia has no friends

A.) yes
    B) no
    If you feel comfortable playing it, and getting it won't give you depression if you decide you don't like bass, go for it. Obviously check it for any damage whatsoever.

The transition is relearning how to feel your notes/chords. You can play a bass like a guitar, but you'll need to learn to think like a bassist. It's not difficult, I've been casually making a transition to playing guitar from bass, and my main issue is picking technique. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Van likes this.
  3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head SS.org Regular

It'll be worth $500 on the 'bay or elsewhere if you decide it isn't your thing and need/want to sell it - they are good basses.

If that's the only bass you know it will be no more difficult to learn on, and may be better for you in the long run if you choose fewer strings on your next bass.

If you have the money and the bass is calling you - go for it.

Van likes this.
  4. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

First off, make sure that that bass doesn't play horribly or anything. If it seems decent enough, or that it won't require major work, then I'd say grab it! If you want to learn bass, I say focus mainly on 4 strings to start off learning. If you like the idea of having that much of an extended range and are willing to put in the time to learn the fretboard of that thing, more power to ya. :)

Van likes this.
  5. Van

Van Banned

Thanks for the input guys! I ended up getting it today. The action looks a bit high, but I dont really know anything about bass action, and other than that it looks like its in great condition.

6. knuckle_head

Congrats!

7. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

Sweet! Congrats man- we'll expect pics in a NBD thread soon!

8. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity Vendor

Same as guitar dude, just set it up until it feels and sounds good! :hbang:

Looking forward to seeing this, 7's look great!

9. mikemueller2112

mikemueller2112 SS.org Regular

Congrats. I honestly didn't feel the transition from guitar to bass guitar that bad. Like others said, feeling for notes is a big one. The muscle memory is different. Learning to play with your fingers or slap-pop is obviously a new technique and will take time (I've slacked so much in this lately...) but I'm very glad I got one. I need to upgrade, I just have a shit 4 string, but they are very good to have around.

10. Van

Van Banned

^ yeah, I can't seem to get a handle on the slap style yet, but I'll keep at it.

I'll post a NBD as soon as I get my camera from home and take some photos

11. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

You will likely have an extremely difficult time slapping on that thing as I wager the string spacing is tight. Don't let people blow slapping out of proportion though, it is really not that important of a technique. You see it a lot in 'soloing' with a lot of flash and simple techniques that sound like a lot, but that is the most common application nowadays. Finger styles get a lot more mileage. I use it for the odd times when I want drastically different dynamics, not many other times though.

12. knuckle_head

There are two different GT-7s - one is a Billy Dickens model that has a VERY tight spacing, and the other is a bit broader. Do you know which one you got?

13. robotsatemygma

robotsatemygma myspace.com/pygar1

Ideally on bass you want to fret with the meat of your finger (the pad) where as guitar you tend to use the tip of your finger.

And for the love of humanity, don't use a pick. Try to learn using your fingers.

Bass is a fun instrument as you can pull guitar tricks on it (tapping, muting, harmonics, chording) but you need to realize even though they compliment each other they are completely different disciplines... if you wanna be good.

Good luck and have fun!