Is the low end in this mix OK?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by charrondev, Apr 27, 2016.

1. charrondev

charrondev SS.org Regular

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/charrondev/resolution-vivacity[/SC]

I am in a room with pretty ....ty acoustics, so its a little hard for me to get a handle on the low end here. I'd appreciate it if anyone could give the low end of the mix a brief assessment and possibly a little advice? Any other feedback is welcome as well.

2. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

I think the low end sounds fine. You could cut back a little bit but I think it suits the mix. Personally I'd pick a different kick/snare for the mix as the snare gets kinda buried sometimes being so thick. Something sounds kinda weird about the kick but I can't place it. it might just be where you boosted the presence in it. Otherwise it sounds sick. Good job.

3. charrondev

Thanks man I appreciate it. All I have for drums in NI studio drummer right now so I'm kind of stuck with those at the moment. This snare has been bothering me ever since I got it though. I wish there was a place where you could just get individual samples of different snares or kicks though.

4. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler Contributor

It definitely is a tad bit loud, but not so that it makes the song sound bad.

As for individual samples, you can find those online at various places. Just do some digging, and you'll find good samples.

5. dimensional audio

dimensional audio SS.org Regular

The mix seems a bit loud, if you redo your levels without the loudness, then do the loudness as a separate piece I think it will sound a lot better

What did you use to get the glitching in the intro?

6. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

PMed you!

7. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

i think the low end sounds fine. but i agree about the kick and snare. though i don´t
    think it´s the samples themselves, but rather how you EQ them. i used Studio Drummer,
    too, and got some massive sounds out of it. are you using the stadium kit? i find the kick
    in that kit has a bit of that beach ball clack going on around the 4-6k area, so watch out
    for that. don´t be afraid to boost the top end exessively to get a nice defined click. i
    usually use snare b in the stadium kit. if you like, i made a Let´s Mix series where i mixed
    those same drums.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-j59DwKRmokXkrrbE3q6vCwIMrDPkLLV

8. charrondev

Yeah, it could use a bit more work I guess. The glitching is just me manually chopping it up at 16ths and 32nds and automating the panning left and right a bit.