Is the age of 4x12 dead?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheFireSky5150, Feb 23, 2018.

1. McKay

McKay ʎɐʞɔW

Fuck no. For this reason:

+ You're relying on the sound guy having the faintest idea what they're doing. Most of the time they don't. There's a lot of posts here that sound like they're coming from people who don't play live all that much. Not all PAs are equal, running guitar through a PA is something I avoid if I can help it, it just adds more ways for the sound to be fucked with. An angled 2x12 is an improvement over a regular one, I've played with SO MANY bands who get their tones ready with a straight 2x12 or 4x12 while they're listening stood up, so you end up listening to this really piercing trebly sound out front. Horrible.

Lugging around a 4x12 is a piece of cake if you're touring in a van. Half the time you won't even be using it (if you don't want to) because there'll be house cabs or other bands to share with, and if you're touring with other bands you generally gear pool so lugging it out of the van and into the venue is a shared task. Not that taking gear in and out of vans is that bad. There are people in their 40s who mine coal or move furniture or boxes 12 hours a day for a living, moving a 4x12 is not that bad unless your back is fucked or something.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Durtal likes this.
  2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I understand the 412 being physically too big for some people's homes, however 1) a 212 is not much smaller and b) who cares about the weight of a 412 in your basement if you don't gig :lol:. Hell get a bunch of cabs and 212 combos - you only have to lift them down there. I just don't understand the complains about weight in the situation where the cab isn't getting moved.

3. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I have used pretty every size cab at some point in my musical career and the only use anymore/still own is a Basson 412.

412's just sound huge. I used to gig with a 212 but I used to get lost in the mix since the other 2 guitarist were using 412s.

4. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

in my limited experiences:
    I used to use a 4x12 - heavy, sounded amazing, all other bands used 4x12s. Sometimes I'd borrow another 4x12 and stack them --- BONER TONE!
    I then decided to try going direct - sound guys were confused, monitors sucked, all other bands used 4x12s.
    I then bought a 2x12 - super portable, couldn't compete with other guitar players 4x12, all other bands used 4x12s.
    I then re-bought a 4x12 - heavy, sounds amazing, all other bands use 4x12s.
    Happy again!

cwhitey2 likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You must not be married with kids. :lol:

6. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

The footprint of the same brand of 2x12 is usually identical to the same brand of 4x12... so unless you need to fit it under a table or shelf... go big. Get the 4x12.

7. budda

Just married with a dog.

My band practices in a different city, all the stuff that takes up room costs me hundreds a month to have there instead :lol:

8. thebrokeguitarist

thebrokeguitarist Friendly Alcoholic

I have a 1x12 I keep at home for monitoring but record direct out of my 6505MH for idea sharing with the band. At practice I rent a 4x12 from the rehearsal space but still plug into the PA for my main source of volume.

Live I always go direct and know how to communicate what I need to the sound guy (girl occasionally). If there's backline or a band's 4x12 I can borrow I'll plug into the cab just for stage volume. Maybe I'm just lucky to live in a city where most venues have a halfway competent soundguy, even dive bars. I've never had a bad experience with this set up and according to the audience the mix is usually pretty clear. It helps that I used to do FOH when I was a teen so I can speak the lingo and I know how to butter them up. I highly prefer this to lugging around a 4x12 and 120W head like I did in high school. And I played varsity football then so I was definitely more capable of lugging that gear around than I would be now.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

"1)... and b)..." :lol:

10. budda

Studio life, man. Up is down :lol:

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. Aso

Aso Single Hum Zealot Contributor

This so sounds like me and my basement. I would think of getting rid of the Soldano 4x12s but since people don't want to pay anything for a 4x12 and I have the room they can just hang out. I mainly play through my Omega 1x12 so maybe none of the gear is needed.

[​IMG]

Choop, MASS DEFECT and rexbinary like this.
  12. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

wow. those soldano cabs have the stock legend v12s? (and i guess that vader too.)

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  13. Aso

Aso Single Hum Zealot Contributor

The Soldanos have the stock Eminence V12 speakers . The Vader was part of the run he did several years ago so I got it unloaded since there was no way to get the Vader voiced Eminence speakers. The Vader has a Texas Heat and something else (I forgot what I put in there) The 2x12 Omega has BlkTri Ghosts and the Omega 4x12 has Eminence CV75s and V12 pairs

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    MASS DEFECT likes this.
  14. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

I think the conditions out there nowadays just have people placing less emphasis on monster rigs. As with anything rig related though, it's different strokes for different folks in terms of what works best. If you love having your 4x12 thumping at shows and it makes sense to take it, hell yeah, crank it. For me, my 2x12 is vert, slanted, ported, and slays @ every venue I've used it at thus far. A 4x12 would too, but for what we play, the degree to which it actually does it better is nominal. If it's a huge or outdoor venue I'm sure there's a point where the gap would widen, but even then, if we're miced up and the sound guy doesn't suck, it seems unnecessary.

The days of excess for its own sake have been on their way out the door ever since the $ to perpetuate it dried up. Sure, image is still important in music, and it's fun feeling like a rockstar with as many speakers as possible behind ya, but the reality is that fake wall of cabs with two in the bunch actually loaded with speakers. Plus those guys already did the more is more and wall of cabs thing, and it was theirs much more than it will ever be anyone's today.

In our particular case, we're nobodies from nowhere and would have to take another car, forgo a light fixture/merch bin or cooler in the back if we went 4x12s rather than 2x12s. Image and space considerations aside, in terms of sound, any difference between the 2x12 and my 4x12s (that isn't due to the speaker/amp combo) for me is not worth opting for the latter, and that's coming from a dude who takes a 100lbs rack rig up two flights of stairs to my room after each show, and then back down & out for the next show because tonez haha. We're getting the band van & trailer on the road this spring and I'll still be taking the 2x12, because it works so well for us that I feel like taking 4x12s instead would only be a waste of gas $ and space that would both be better spent on more cds to hand out, shirts, or any number of things. The $ isn't in music like it used to be, so 4x12's are disappearing as more and more bands take a leaner approach.

Unless you're a touring band playing large/outdoor venues or you don't care about adjusting levels for a proper live mix (I'm looking at you band who cranks guitars so loud that unmiced drum kit is completely inaudible for your whole set), I just don't think you'd really be sacrificing much using a 2x12. If you wanna push as much air as possible and feel like a badass, get it done son \m/, but if you're at the typical sized venue running the standard mono amp -> cab setup and assume when I roll out the 2x12 for our set or you use it in gear share that it isn't gonna cut it, then I'm gonna assume you: a) haven't played the right 2x12, b) haven't devoted adequate attention to working on live levels and mixing with your band, or c) treat sound guys like the boogeyman. And then I'm going to smile at the look on your face when you hear it. I mean it's metal, so naturally we like it bigger, louder, and heavier, but 90% of the time b and c are the real difference between people inquiring about your band & rig after your set because it sounded good (rather than just loud), or people inquiring with the merch area about who has earplugs for sale or going out for a smoke during your set because you've got settings dimed, blasting through as many speakers as possible, and think that makes it kick ass by default.

tldr:
    Will 4x12's ever go out of style? Nope.
    Are more musicians trading in the 'moar is better' rigs in favor of practicality and portability? Yep.

15. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Nah not even a little. When I go to local shows in the MA area every band has a 4x12 without fail. For a lot of kids it's the dream to have a half stack

Durtal likes this.
  16. budda

Are you sure you didnt get lost in the mix because there were two other guitars, bass and cymbals though?

Durtal and cGoEcYk like this.
  17. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

That's most likely true as im conservative work my volume.

18. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

I much prefer the resonance of a 412. Can't see it being "dead" at all.

couverdure likes this.
  19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Excellent gear. You need an SLO for sure though.

Texas Heat and Swamp Thangs? That's a common combo.

20. NateFalcon

NateFalcon #Ox45

lifting 412’s keeps you from having ‘Marty Friedman biceps’...seriously, some guys it couldn’t hurt to pump those little arms once in a while. It’s also good for your back...it’s like dead-lifting, but cooler