Is the age of 4x12 dead?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheFireSky5150, Feb 23, 2018.

1. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

yeah but

[​IMG]

Wolfhorsky, couverdure and Shask like this.
  2. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

also, doom metal called and they were like "nah"

3. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

Loved my Mesa 4x12, but it was too much to handle on my own and too damn loud for bedroom jams. Went to a 1x12,
    I had the 4x12 up on reverb for about 8months and on various facebook groups for 2yrs+. I even went to the shop where I bought it in 2009 and they wouldn't give me cash nor store credit. Only place that would take it was guitar center.

For SW LA and SE Texas, 4x12s are definitely being lowered into the grave as far as I can tell.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  4. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

I do love the sound of my EVH half stack accompanied by a Mesa 4x12", but after seeing that photo that eggy posted for the gazillionth time, I'm thinking, f*** it - I'll just switch to my Mark V 1x12" combo. The bigger the stage the better the statement :lol:

5. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I'd trade my Mess OS 2x12 right now for a 4x12.

And not think twice.

6. Durtal

Durtal SS.org Regular

Pretty much every smaller metal gig I've been to the last few years still had bands using 4x12s. I have never seen a black or death metal band gig with a 2x12 or 1x12.

7. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

As a very recent procurer of a 212, I'd say a 412 is just to big for home use. They're nice and all that, and sound huge... but they are huge as well, and can weigh a lot. 212 is about as big as I would go. And I'm a metal guy.

8. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

My 412 is like my Hammond Organ - it's big and beautiful, but it's a piece of furniture and I'll not be doing any gigging with it any time soon.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  9. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

What I don't get is the people who say a 412 is "too loud" for home use. Is someone holding a gun to their head and saying "turn the mother5@(&er to 10, or else"? Mine does fine at low volumes, but then again, I'm not an idiot and I know where my volume knob is located and which way to turn it for lower volume. :lol: This seems to be a foreign concept to some.

No joke, it's actually quite nice to sit down right in front of a 412 with the amp turned down. You're right in line with the speakers so you can hear all the frequencies clearly, without needing to fill the room as much as you'd need with a 1 or 2 x 12 on the floor. Plus there's that extra depth that comes from the bigger cab space.

I have a foldable dolly I use when moving mine. It's easy. A 10 year old roadie'd for me last time I played out. He had no trouble with my cab. Going up and down stairs? Nah, it ain't that bad. The size is more of a difficulty than the weight, for me.

10. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

Spot on, Kalim.

Love my 4x12 at bedroom volumes. Sounds amazing, honestly. I mean, yea it's more fun when it's cranked and I can feel it thump, but I don't really want to hear it blaring everytime I plug in either.

11. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Agree. 4x12s do sound awesome at bedroom volumes. I used to have a 4x12 in my small room, and it was just a BETTER sound than my 2x12 beaming on my ankles. But once you turn that amp up, the 4x12 will rattle your windows and those top speakers will take your head off.

I almost got evicted because of my JSX 400 watt 4x12 because you JUST WANT TO TURN IT UP! That kick, that air moving, amp in a room magic!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  12. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I could never see playing my music live without a 4x12...or two. They deliver that thick punch that I love.

13. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Overkill? Yeah, but if you aren't moving it or have no issues moving it, then why not? :)

14. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

It's not the same size. Almost. But those are 40 lbs lighter than a 4x12. Some people just want a 2x12 but with the added benefit of having the monitor effect of the slanted top speaker. And like line array PAs, vertical 2x12s seem not as beamy and spread the sound better in a room.

15. MatthewK

MatthewK SS.org Regular

I've had nice 412s, but I don't gig in a metal band or anything. I'm mostly running direct. I have a Mesa Mini Recto cab and I found that plenty enough for me playing with a drummer and definitely has a little thump to it.

16. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

I would have to disagree to some extant. In order to get the speaker moving and get the actual tone that is added from the speakers you definitely have to turn up to a certain volume. On a 1x12 that volume is still very loud, on a 4x12 that is too loud for bedroom use.

cGoEcYk likes this.
  17. Double A

Double A Subhuman

I bought a g flex 2x12 6 or 7 years ago and never looked back. My thought process was... Fuck this cab sounds incredible. I am also sick of moving 4x12s, I own three, one an over sized mesa everyone seems to love. The shows we will be playing either we will be miced up or the place we are playing at would be small enough that the extra air would not be missed. And also what a lot of guitar players seem to overlook in favor of HUGE BLASTING NOISE SOUND is that listenable music is much more enjoyable than giant walls of sound that can sometimes turn to mush. We are not a quiet band and are plenty loud but sometimes musicians forget the whole less is more thing is mostly true.

18. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

While the tone is different at lower volumes, I don't find it at all "bad" or unacceptable. Listening right in front of the speakers, the tone isn't a whole lot different, in my experience. It could depend on the speakers, I suppose, and also whether or not you're boosting the amp.

Regarding my 6505, I play it through a 412 all the time at bedroom volumes. I can play it without waking my 3-year-old and still very much enjoy the tone. That said, good tone is only possible when boosting it and EQing it for that volume. Unboosted, it takes a lot more volume.

19. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

I agree with you, it is not unacceptable or bad, but to get that 4x12 cab sound you do have to crank it a bit, and I think that is why people say they are too loud.

20. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

There’s been lots of times I’ve chosen to go with a 412 on each side of the stage instead of going through the PA...I prefer mic’ing a 412 as well...212’s are more focused sounding and can be perceived as louder due to the emphasized higher frequencies, but never quite cut it for me live, without mic’ing up, a 112 gets swallowed in a band setting and personally...you’ll never get the bass and air movement a 412 will...a Genz Benz g-flex 212 or DrZ “best” 212 cab have NICE low response though...Me, I’m a 412 guy- amps and equipment are heavy anyway so if you’re serious about gigging just buy a $500 van and stop tying to shove music equipment into the back of a sub-compact gas-sipper. Ever see a drummer with a small car?...it’s funny. I built two of my own oversized 412 cabs that I’ll never part with. If a 212 fits your life better, or think that’s all you need...cool, you can always upgrade later. Don’t be afraid to take the “monster truck” to get a ice cream cone lol, overkill is subjective