Is the age of 4x12 dead?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheFireSky5150, Feb 23, 2018.

1. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

check manual for your amp - usually there is a section describing how to connect multiple cabs to your amp using it's outputs - if your amp does have several of them (4/8/16Ohm). if that's not the case, then check your 2x12 cab manual, how is link output wired and what cab you need to use to safely connect your cabs to the amp.

2. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

4x12 is still great gear for the stage player although the full stack 2x 4x12 (sorry about the maffs) might be getting outdated.

I use a 2x12 and enjoy the more compact size and loud-enough capabilities. I also kind of like driving the speakers/cab a bit.

On bass I use 2x whatever my guitarist is using. I like being able to drown out the whole band or at least the guitarist.

3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I’m guessing you mean speaker output. Effects loops play no role in running cabs. As long as the amp has a selectable transformer tap (16-8-4 type) you’re fine. If you’re 412 is 8 ohm and the 212 is 8 ohm, then they total a 4 ohm load. If one is 8 ohm and one is 16, then it’s a 5.333 ohm load and you’d still use the 4 ohm tap. 16 and 16 uses the 8 ohm tap. Just use a speaker cable from the speaker out to the fist cab, out of that cab into the second

4. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

I stopped hauling around the 4x12's and swapped to a Randall RD212-UV a couple years ago. No regrets at all. It's still somewhat hefty (probably 2/3 as heavy as a 4x12) but saves space in the car and on stage and is more manageable.

I end up hauling the bass cab, lights, and sometimes my other guitarist's gear in addition to my gear, and I don't dilly dally loading/unloading or getting on/off stage, so I like that I can throw it around or take it right up a flight of stairs myself without pause. Being able to see out my back window while driving is nice too.

4x12's rule the jam space and studio for sure, but I'm happy to leave them there when it comes time to pack up. I don't think my sound suffers with the 2x12 at indoor clubs, and I'm also sure for gigs where the sound guy or promoter wants things backlined and we're towards the end of the lineup, the other bands appreciate that we use two 2x12's as opposed to that other band that backlined the two full stacks at a 300 person capacity venue while half the opening band members play on the floor.

5. frogman81

frogman81 SS.org Regular

Having never owned a 412 I will not try to express an opinion but I’m reading these replies with a healthy dose of skepticism. Is there any science/physics behind what everyone seems to be experiencing? I would like to buy a nice cab after I can sequester off some space in the house, and wondered if I really needed a 212 over a 112.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  6. frogman81

frogman81 SS.org Regular

Ok having done a big of research on my own it seems that having a larger cab equates to a lower resonant frequency. So playing through a 412 would be naturally bassier than something smaller. I’m a little surprised given most of ss.org’s taste for mid-heavy tone, but it makes more sense to me now.

7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

From what I remember, having a larger cab generally means lower resonant frequency for the same number/area of drivers (speakers). If you made a 412 but only cut 2 holes in it and put in two drivers, it would have a peak frequency lower than the same cab with 4 drivers.

You really should be able to get the same frequency response from a 112 as a 412. There could be different time-domain stuff that I don't know about, though (google "speaker waterfall plots").

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah i should have been more clear.

I use a non powered kemper running into effects loop of my randall head for power then out the randall into a cab.

9. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

A 4x12" is two times as many speakers as a 2x12", science aside, it's math. If you haven't played a 4x12" before then it might sound like some tonal debate. There's something to it, but it's really just the power of it. I think any serious guitarist needs to play through a full stack at least once. I got to go through three 4x12"s personally before, it was fucking great. Strongly recommend.

10. DudeManBrother

All good. Same thing applies. Run the kemper into the effects return, and pick the speaker impedance that matches the total cab load

11. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

More space in the cab means more bass frequencies, more speakers have more comb filtering effects, more speakers means more surface area pushing more sound vibrations, which can translate to feel, etc....

12. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

I actually play through a 21x12 and then I magically sound like Rush every time! :p

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  13. kingpinMS3

kingpinMS3 dumb, but harmless

Crate or not, anyone remember this thing?

I need it in my life...

[​IMG]

14. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

[​IMG]

This is how you get all the toanz.

15. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

While you guys are debating if the age of 4x12s are over, Im just here thinking of getting a diagonal/vertical 2x12 that is ALMOST THE SAME SIZE as a 4x12. lol FML.

Deadpool_25, sylcfh and cGoEcYk like this.
  16. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

4x12's feel great to play through but the extra volume over a 2x12 let alone a 1x12 is 100% unnecessary. A 50w tube head through a 1x12 can easily play over a loud drummer, and if there is a PA the point is moot.

4x12's have been a penis measuring contest since the late 60's and I think people are finally getting over it.

17. Tysonimmortal

Tysonimmortal Beers and Gear

My band just started using 2 6x12's and an 8x10 for bass. So it equals out to be like hauling 3 8x10's everytime you play. Builds character.

cGoEcYk likes this.
  18. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

I think 412 will never die but that goes the same with the lower back for some of us. I am perfectly content with my mesa compact 212. In fact, I want to go lighter and may look into getting the new Orange vertical 212 cab. I don't even care about "the thumping tone" anymore at this point as long as the quality of the tone is not compromised too much and save my lower back to find the right medium. The Marshall 412 I had with my valvestate amp was surprisingly manageable weight wise though.

19. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

When I was 20 I had the biggest gas for the mesa 4x12 with 2x12 on top. I had the oversized 4x12, ended up selling it off cause I found this special edition Marshall 4x12 blue tolex with wheat grille. it was sick, then crashed my car and sold that.

If I could build a dream rig it would still be the Mesa 6x12 stack.

20. DudeManBrother

I think I have a new cab idea. I’ll make 3x12 cabinets. It’ll be a sealed 2x12 on the bottom and a ported 1x12 on top, but in a single box basically the size of a 4x12. I’d wire 2 8 ohm speakers in series for the bottom, and use a 16 ohm speaker for the ported upper half. It could run 16 ohm stereo or 8 ohm mono. I’d use a braced sheet of 1/4” birch ply to separate the upper and lower sound chambers. Neo mags will keep weight down. Maybe bracing to stabilize a 1/2” birch shell would work too. Hmmm...
    :hmmm: