Is my ibanez RGDIX6MPB f spaced?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by dxjxrose, Dec 4, 2017.

1. dxjxrose

dxjxrose SS.org Regular

I put a jb8 in my ibanez but the spacing is off... Honestly never would have thought this guitar was f spaced

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The Gibraltar II (should be your bridge) is supposed to be F-spaced. Pretty much everything on every superstrat-style guitar should be F-spaced these days, as a rule of thumb.

EDIT: the spacing is purely a cosmetic thing. It should not sound any different.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. dxjxrose

dxjxrose SS.org Regular

Good to know lol im debating ordering a pegasus or a titan for this guitar so i was curious

4. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

I'm 99% sure that pretty much every Ibanez is F-Spaced from what I've heard. All the one's that I have had have been F-Spaced.

5. dxjxrose

dxjxrose SS.org Regular

I was under the impression only trem equipped guutars where f spaced... No biggie now to decide what pickup to buy

6. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

They are, but Ibanez hard tail bridges are also F-Spaced.

7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Definitely F-Spaced / Trembucker spaced. A regular humbucker will work but sometimes based on the alignment the poles may sit too far away from the string and this will impact your sound. Most of the time though regular spacing will still work as the poles still align often well enough, but I have seen cases where the poles were completely out of line with a string.

8. odibrom

odibrom .

With Ibanez, only 6 stringers with TOM bridges are not f-spaced, all others are "Fender Spaced".

9. haffner1

haffner1 SS.org Regular

I could be wrong, but I think the vast majority of guitars are F-spaced these days. Exceptions would be PRS and some of the Gibsons, although PRS still uses F-spaced pickups because the spacing is still slightly wider than the old standard spacing. The only guitar (besides PRS) that I have ever bought that was not F-spaced was my Charvel Model 6. The JT6 trem which was used on all of the old Jacksons/Charvels was standard spaced. I swapped mine for an OFR, because for me, using different spacing across different guitars messes with my picking. I keep a micrometer handy for various uses and it comes in handy for string spacing when in doubt. - Also, I believe one of the Floyd Rose trems, I think it is the german made 6 string "Pro" version has standard spacing.

10. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

How did the magnetic field look?

11. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I take your joke, but honestly, if the string is completely out of reach of the pole then you are not getting appropriate 'reception' and it can lead to volume problems with the string and makes it unbalanced with the other strings, etc.

The Dimarzio website even says this.

Again, this is often rare because normal humbuckers still line up fairly well with the strings, but in some cases they can be completely out of alignment.