Is my Guitar bridge placed in right place?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Rocks256, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

https://imgbb.co/hVJ8hn

I have made an NGD months ago or so, i am wondering because i never have had a Archtop SuperStrat with Fixed bridge. My previous archtop guitars had tom bridges, Esp Ltd mh 417 and Schecter Hellraiser c7 Special.

On the photo i believe that guitar bridge is a little bit too far from pickups or it is just me and its fine? Guitar is Schecter Damien elite 7. Schecter stopped making these in 2017 i have 2014 one. Am i too nervous about it i known. Also i wonder why they stopped this guitar production, one of their best guitars for 500$-550$

Its as it should be or not ?

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

nah its fine. Just means the bridge pickup will be slightly warmer/rounded than if it were further back right to the bridge.

I think most of my guitars are like this and I dont have an issue.
    Also, its probably less of a problem with EMGS too (which is why I probably dont notice an issue)

Rocks256 likes this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

If one reverses/mirrors the a guitar's scale (if you have 2 equal guitars just put them side by side with one's nut at the other's bridge), one will notice that most bridge pickups are almost over the 2nd fret place... or so I think... give or take a little bit... not rocket science...

4. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

Well i just have one 7 string, used to have two but sold em, was thinking of same thing but no one has same guitars as i do here

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/lospennato/index.htm

"Bridge pickup: in electric guitars the bridge pickup is placed a few millimeters away from the bridge. The nearer the bridge, the more "trebly" the tone will be, with lower output level (due to the shorter amplitude of the string vibration at that point). Changes in pickup placement near the bridge are far more noticeable than those near the neck position."

There's no exact "right" place for the bridge pickup, unless you're EVH - he used to say it needed to be in the perfect position to get the correct harmonics and not the ugly ones. But most builders and information sources I've seen say that it's just preference:

Closer to bridge and it's more trebly, twangy/jangly, and lower volume.
    Further away from bridge and it will lose that bite, but become louder.

FWIW, height is equally as important. Not just for matching output when you switch. Too high and magnetic string pull will kill your sustain, plus you'll get nasty/muddy/clipping distortion from overloading the signal input to your amp. Too far and it will just sound weak, even when you crank your amp.

You can tilt your pickup height to compensate for high to low volume differences, especially where your pickup might be too close or too far from the bridge. I have a couple guitars where my ideal setup has the bridge pickup slanted away from the high E, because for whatever reason the guitar has too much bite, vs other guitars where it is flat and perfect as is. (same is true for neck pickups)

So, basically... how does your guitar sound to you? Do you like it? If you find the volume or tone is off try adjusting the height (and make sure they have matching volume output when you switch). Then you can vary the tilt based upon whether you think your bridge pickup is too trebly / too much bite (or not enough). You shouldn't have to move it closer/further to bridge, or buy a different guitar, unless it just sounds nasty no matter what you do.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  6. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

Mate guitar sounds okay but we 're speaking mainly about Bridge Itself not pickup really :)

7. odibrom

odibrom .

You can measure the Nut-to-2ndFret distance and verify it at the bridge-to-pickup position... simple.

TO identify if the bridge is placed correctly, measure the Nut-to-12thfret distance and the 12thFret-to-Bridge (aim for the high E string since the others get a little more due to intonation). They should be the same.

About string pull from pickup-to-string distance, it's not only the string's sustain that suffers, but also its tone. The closer the pickup, the muddier the tone...

NateFalcon likes this.
  8. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Rocks256 and Hollowway like this.
  9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

The bridge is in the correct location when it allows your strings to intonate correctly. Where the pickup is placed is a separate issue based on how you want it to sound.

The 12th fret to bridge distance will be slightly longer than the nut to 12th fret distance in order to accommodate string deflection when fretting a string (e.g., intonation).

10. USMarine75

Oh jeeeeez I misread the original post lol. The bridge placement will be obvious. Either the guitar intonates properly or not.

Also, whatever the scale is supposed to be, just measure from the nut to the saddle, give or take a bit for intonation adjustment.

Are you Javier Reyes? ;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  11. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

Thanks for replies ;)

12. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

You were right its slightly longer, checked whole guitar. It intonates perfectly b1-b2 / e2-e3 etc.

13. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

It's all relative though. The bridge is placed in accordance with the scale length, in the position which allows you to correctly intonate octaves on the frets (which are fixed).

The pickups are then placed relative to the bridge.

So assuming your guitar intonates (and you'd likely realise if it didn't), then the question really is about pickup placement. You asked whether the bridge is too far from the pickups, but the question would really be whether the pickups are too far from the bridge.

As others have said, the guitar is made on a CNC so incorrect placement is incredibly unlikely. The manufacturer will choose where to put the pickup based on the sort of tone they want from the guitar.

Winspear likes this.
  14. USMarine75

That was what I originally thought he was asking, since a grossly misplaced bridge would be so obvious.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, no way the bridge is in the wrong place on a guitar like that. The pickup isn’t the reference point - the bridge is. That’s why everyone in here is talking about the pickup, as you used that in reference.

Rocks256 and USMarine75 like this.
  16. USMarine75

FWIW I took a stroll through the googles and your pic matches up with all the others I found with that same fixed bridge. (The vintage stringthru version has the bridge pickup closer to the bridge.)

17. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

Thank you all folks, so i can guess theres nothing wrong with my guitar :)

I Wonder why they cancelled production of these, as far as i remember the production was during 2014-2017, they are like hellraiser but with different neck profile, C shaped thin Fender .

Does any of you have same guitar with fixed bridge ?

18. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

That what wa sin my mind

19. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

The bridge seems to be at a proper distance from the bridge pickup. This has an influence on the sound but is mere down to preference. But, it seems to be shifted towards the treble side of the neck. The space besides the string to the fretboard edges should be the same on both sides. This does not work much result in different tone, given that the strings still run properly over the pole pieces, but might have an effect on the playability. The closer the string to the edge of the fretboard, the easier it will slip off to the side when fretting.

20. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

https://ibb.co/gP5D6J
    https://ibb.co/dFarty

I was thinking a bit, maybe im a bit over nervous about it but if not the bridge, maybe neck placement? Today i was setting up guitar again and all the saddles were set up to the left side of bridge (from view of a back of guitar body ) for bottom Low B E A D . It feels like theres too much space over 7 Th string, i can't get it close to the edge while i can do it with high E string.

What you think? Just schecter guitar structure? I was playing ESP and Ibanez for years