Is anyone on here an actual drummer?

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by Nour Ayasso, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Nour Ayasso

Nour Ayasso SS.org Regular

^:yesway:

So what about your italian trio? Care to share vids?

2. absolutorigin

absolutorigin SS.org Regular

Thanks man! Sorry for the late reply. Here is a driver, and side shot for you. Things look a bit far apart in the driver pic, but it's actually quite tight and everything is close together. Also, I no longer use the Ahead sticks. Hard to beat the feel of wood :rofl:.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nour Ayasso

No problem dude, and those pics are sick! Seems like a mini Mangini set up.:yesway:

4. dosilegecko

dosilegecko Baritoner

5. Nour Ayasso

^nice! Those drums are programmed, correct?

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I'm trying. have an electric kit and having a bash a few times a week when I want a break from guitar

its fun and also its a good learning tool as a guiatarist to understand more about the drums

7. dosilegecko

dosilegecko Baritoner

I played them on an e-kit and then fixed up the timings, its superior drummer sounds!

I'd rather track real drums but I don't have a great room and even my awesome drum kits won't sound great in the wrong rooms :/

8. Nour Ayasso

Definitely agree there. Nothings better than picking up other instruments just for the fun and experience!
    Ah I see, well sounds pretty good but feels more programmed. Might be the dynamic setting I guess lol. Anyway, yeah tracking real drums is very plausible but ridiculous if you want a great result. >_<

9. Vhyle

Vhyle Music of the Wastes

Damn, completely forgot about this thread.

But hey, good news - I finally have a kit! After going over four years without a kit, I finally took the plunge and got one. I recently got back from a deployment to Africa, so I figured f_ck it, I deserve it. It feels great to have a kit again.

Picked up a Tama Imperialstar 5-piece, with a pair of Speed Cobras.

Over the next few days, I think I'll record a 2-3 minute video of just some improv... I've been working on knocking off 4 years of rust. It will take a lot of work, but it'll be alright.

Also, I'm in the middle of buying a house and moving. After I get settled in my new home, I want to start jamming with some jazz musicians. Either form or join some jazz bands around here. I've always played metal as a drummer in a band, but jazz is where my heart really is, honestly, and I have NEVER gotten to play for a jazz band before. I think it's time to change that.

10. Nour Ayasso

Nice dude! Couldn't agree more on the cobras, I have the same pair and I'm loving them! Spent years on a PDP double pedal and couldn't take it anymore xD especially when it came to equal use of both feet. The speed cobra is definitely holding up. Not a fan of Tama's drums but they have good deals, I assume you got the bundle with cymbals?

11. Vhyle

Yes, it came with the Meinl HCS cymbals. Even for entry-level cymbals, they really don't sound that bad. They will hold up for a while until I can upgrade eventually.

This is the most recent pic, after I picked up the blue matching utility rug. Looks great underneath the kit, I think.

Attached Files:

12. Nour Ayasso

Sweet dude! The HCS series is pretty horrible to be honest, even after difficult modding they aren't really cutting it, but they are very durable of course. Drumming on tile is noooo fun and scoring a rug is pretty difficult in my opinion. I ended up using an old living room rug (which is now complemented with dog stains....) for practice and shows. Saves my carpet/tile and set up time xD

13. Vhyle

We just moved into a new house that has all new flooring and carpet, so I am doing what I can to preserve said carpet. The utility rug is mainly to protect it from the pedal spikes and kick drum legs, and the slow accumulation of lubricant from the kick drum pedals. This rug was only $10, and the color matches the kit so it looks pretty legit.

The HCS cymbals will do for now. They will get replaced over time, though. I don't think they sound THAT bad, honestly.

14. Nour Ayasso

haha exactly don't tear up that carpet xD
    yeah my bad didn't mean to rag on them like that, it's just that all cymbals usually (should) have potential but these were really stubborn to work with. Most B8's new and reworked are really impressive so I assumed HCS would be similar.

15. Vhyle

Finally made a video. Just some jazzy improv kind of stuff. The sound quality is bizarre because the room is a large den with a concrete floor. But the animals and my kid dancing around seemed to enjoy it!

My kit is stripped down here, by the way.

16. Vhyle

I made another jazz improv video today. Just messing around in 7/8 time.

Another lazy weekend afternoon on the drums. 8)

17. Nour Ayasso

Dude those are some siiiiick beats. The first video sounded so badass I like the punchy old school sound kinda sound. Good playing man :yesway:

18. Vhyle

Thanks!

The first video, I used my friend's Kodak camcorder, and I guess the mic on it gave it that punchy, stadium sound, which was really intensified by the den's acoustics. So it sounds pretty neat.

19. RHEX-7

RHEX-7 SS.org Regular

that natural reverb though...

20. Vhyle

Hah yeah, that house has plenty of it. No carpet whatsoever. The den is concrete and everything else is hardwood.