Is an 80 gauge overkill on a 28" scale?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Vince Caruana, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Speedos

Speedos SS.org Regular

.074 for my E tuning on my 30" and i still feel it might need a bit more, prob an .080

2. RED_ROBOT

RED_ROBOT SS.org Regular

I use .80 on Blackjack 28 inch for E# (half - tone lower).
    Not to tight, thinking about smth like .85 - .90
    Depends on strings, I guess, some are harder some are softer. Daddarios are soft and .80 is kinda flubby.

3. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

Lighter gauges mean better "guitar like" harmonic content, because the string moves more freely and isn't choked up by inharmonicity. It is well worth adjusting action/neck bow/playing technique to go down a few gauges, even if it is a struggle at first to get used to the feel. Go as light as you can possibly stand, and when you've adjusted everything to its optimum and you have gotten used to it, try going a little lighter.

4. djohns74

djohns74 SS.org Regular

The lowest string on my 28" 8 string is currently a .086, which works just fine for me at F# while allowing a drop-tune to E without a distracting change in feel. Then again, my original 8 is a slightly longer 28.625" scale and currently uses exactly the same string set and I don't have an issue with that either. Granted that it works a little better as a drop-E instrument, but F# isn't an issue either.

Of course, my interest in larger gauge guitar strings started when I used a .094 for E1 on a 30" six string, which sounded absolutely amazing to my ears. At that point, a smaller diameter string on a scale 2 inches shorter didn't seem that crazy, and still doesn't. Much as others have suggested, it all depends on what you're doing with it ultimately.

5. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

Definitely not overkill - and at the very least, worth trying.

I used an 84 tuned to E on a 26.5" Schecter and it felt great.

It's always worth experimenting with different string sets on any guitar, and this seems to apply even more so with ERGs.

The eternal battle of good tension vs snappy response is one we pretty much all have to fight.

6. Locrain

Locrain SS.org Regular

Probably not overkill, considering the tuning, but as others have mentioned, there is a real trade-off the thicker you go. It pays to go as light as you can.

7. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

If you have a light pick attack you can get away with ~75 for E. I beat the crap out of my guitar when I play live and the 9.5-45-61-90 (28" scale) set that I've been using from Kalium for drop E is pretty great. I can lay into the 90 on heavy riffs without picking it a 1/4-1/2 step out of tune like I was with anything below an 84. I like the sound of the lighter strings when I'm sitting down and playing quietly, but I feel like I have to .....-foot around to keep everything in tune down there. The 90 just takes it. It is a little bass-like through a clean channel, but with a decent distortion sound dialed for it, that doesn't really come through with high gain.

8. thrashmetal85

thrashmetal85 SS.org Regular

I use 80 for F on my 29.4" m80m.

9. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

New Here and a Beauty BlackJack ATX 28" arrives tomorrow.

Stock strings are the Ernie Ball #2624 : 009 - 011 - 016 - 024 - 034 - 046 - 064 - 080

Any experience ?

Thanks

10. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

It's the only well gauged big brand 8 string set I know of (well, along with the identical Daddario NYXL).
    See for yourself the tensions:
    len 28
    f1# .080 danw == 19.98#
    b1 .064 danw == 23.21#
    e2 .046 danw == 21.08#
    a2 .034 danw == 21.22#
    d3 .024 danw == 19.01#
    g3 .016 dapl == 17.7#
    b3 .011 dapl == 13.28#
    e4 .009 dapl == 15.83#

It's essentially fairly similar in feel to a 10-46 set on 25.5", except the wound strings are bumped up a semitone in feel. This translates quite well onto the extra flexibility of a longer scale. Also able to drop E the 80 gauge and still have it in a reasonable ballpark (like 46 Eb 25.5). The tight 64 is slightly overkill but a nice tonal transition to the rounder 80, and again allows for double drop like EAEADGBE very well

Konfyouzd and Joan Maal like this.
  11. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Personally I use the 9-80 NYXL set for F# standard tuning as the 10-74 set felt all over the place tension wise. It's definitely not overkill but as others have said, the low F# may not sound so good to your ears.

12. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

I use an 86 on a 25.5-27" multiscale (so 27"at the 8th string) for a low E and I feel like it's too loose sometimes. I prefer the tension I get it when I have it tuned to F#.

It's all preference.

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Tuning?

It's a balancing act. Thinner strings sound clearer and brighter than thicker ones, but loose strings sound sloppier than tight ones, generally, depending on technique. Tune too low for whatever scale length neck you have, and you get stuck with either a dull gongy sound (which isn't necessarily bad) or a rattly BWOW sound (which isn't necessarily bad). I tend to think the 28" scale 8's tuned F# give you some options, and 0.080" is a decent one, although I personally prefer 0.074".

14. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I use that 9 - 80 nyxl set on my 8 but I'm only at 27.5 on my low end

(26 - 27.5 fan)

I'm in drop E

15. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I use a .080 on my 28.625" scale for Drop-F#

Anything less than that feels flubby to me

16. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

28" with 80 for E. I like it

17. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Guitar arrived just yesterday. Got no time for real testing but tried both E and F#.
    I think i liked the F# more for string tension, tone and... don konw how to say "scale correlativity"

Thanks for your help

18. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

I used Kaliums for my 26 - 28.5" multiscale with the lowest string tuned to E or D. Tried gauges between 82 and 94, and settled on 94. No overkill at all.

19. Gorespe

Gorespe Chopstix

My Strandberg Boden 8 came string with 9-84 progressive tension strings for the 26.5-28" scale. I thought the 84 was too much, but then again they use GHS strings, and I loathed them. I have a 10-75 DR Tite-Fit set tuned to Db + Drop Ab. It seems to hold up well

20. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

I personally use a bass string 105 for my F#, and find it to start clearing the tone up. It doesn't attack like smaller strings, but I can riff on 5ths and it sounds very doom-y sludge but still clear. But I am in the minority, as I personally find thicker strings to suit me best. I had been using 10-74s 8 string sets for my 7 string guitars, and throwing away the 4th/"D" string.