Is 26.5 as good as 27 scale? Is it baritone territory?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by lucasreis, May 8, 2012.

1. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

I'm having this doubt. It's really hard to get a baritone in Brazil and I've been wanting a new guitar with a bigger scale.

The only kind of guitar I was able to find is a Schecter 7 string guitar with 26.5 scale. I want to know if it holds up as good as a 27 baritone scale, which was my goal (I wanted a seven-string baritone guitar).

What's kind of advice you guys can give me about this?

2. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr SS.org Regular

Depends on what you're tuning to. I've noticed 26.5 can hold a low F# fine but you have to get a way heavier string to do a Low E.

3. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

You'd barely notice a difference with a 0,5" scale difference.

To answer your question, "baritone" is more about tuning than guitar scale. Baritone instrument were initially made because back then, very thick guitar strings were not very common and to be able to down-tune a guitar while using regular string gauge, you'd have to boost the scale to get more tension. Nowaday, you can tune to the baritone area (B and A standard) with a 24,75" scale instrument with thick string gauge.

So, it depends about wich tuning you want to go to and wich string gauge you want to use. Like I said, there would be a difference between 26.5" and 27", but its not really that big. And I don't think that many big companies makes 27" instrument (ESP and Ibanez seems to stay at 25.5 while Schecter add an inch to their 7s).

Dunno if that helps. Cheers!

4. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

That clearly helps.

I already have a seven string, but I want an instrument with a bigger scale. I feel that the scale I have now doesn't really favor the way I play the instrument, it has a lot of buzz, etc.

I know that baritone has to do more with the tuning, but I was really talking about scale in this case. I'm really interested in this guitar and now I think that this 26.5 scale is really interesting. I'll probably sell my guitar and buy this one! Thanks a lot :yesway:

5. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

I normally tune to standard B, but I like to tune down sometimes to Drop-Ab/G#.

6. RobZero

RobZero BWOOOOWWWWâ„¢

i had a c-8 atx, 26,5'' is perfect for that tuning. the F# with a 0.74 was fine at that scale but i felt it was the limit, i needed a .80 string to get the E tight enough.

7. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Buzzing issue can be caused by a bad setup. If you never brought your guitar to a profesional tech, it might actually solve that issue.

And noprob for the help. I got a 25.5" 6 string Schecter, a 26.5" 7 strings Schecter and 28.625" Warmoth baritone Telecaster, so I'm currently experimenting with different scale, and its fun :metal:

8. yellow

yellow Banned

had a schecter damien elite 8 at 26.5" and now an ibanez rg2228 at 27" and the 1/2" is a little better for a tight low end. is it a huge difference, no, its a 1/2", but 26.5" on my B standard damien elite 7 is just fine so i can see where the 8th string can be helped with that extra little bit.

9. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

^this. my seven string is a 27.5 and i can tune it to standard 7 tuning and go way the hell lower. no shrill tones on the high notes. if anything it makes everything sound better and more punchy.

now that being said it does get some getting used to. im used to a 25.5 les paul i built from warmoth parts. so the low frets are just a little farther away from eachother. muscle memory serves me right though and over some time im able to negate the difference

10. Jayd41

Jayd41 SS.org Regular

I have a 26.5 7 string that sounds and plays great down to g# so I think the 26.5 scale will be perfect for what you are doing.
    I do have a 27" 6 string and the tension difference when they are tuned to the same notes is negligible.

11. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

Thanks a lot for the reply. This is really good to know!! :hbang:

12. SeVen77

SeVen77 SS.org Regular

Im sorry buddy but in a sense youre wrong.
    26.5 scale could handle more then B standard. I dont know what your talking about when youre saying " but my 26.5" on my B standard damien elite 7 is JUST FINE"
    25.5" seven 7's are tunded to B standard. So a 26.5 could easily handle Ab/G# or a little lower with the right string gaugaes.
    :nono:

13. TBF_Seb

TBF_Seb SS.org Regular

Probably a matter of taste and right hand technique, too. And there are limits to intonation vs. guitar setup.

FWIW, my RG2027 is 25.5", standard B tuning with a 0.60 for low B. I'd like to have more tension i.e. a thicker string, but the saddle is at its limit and I would not be able to compensate for a thicker string. It's a great guitar but in an (for me) ideal world it would have an 26.5" scale.

14. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Over 2 years old...

15. Intensity guitars

Intensity guitars SS.org Regular

I've grown fond of the fan fret. The treble side feels and bends like usual and the bass side has great tention without having to be to creative or very a lot in gauges. I only had about a 15 minute learning curve with the fan.

Toxin likes this.
  16. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

The ESP E-II HORIZON NT-7B, Jackson b7, and Carvin DC7X are all 27 inches.

17. guitarheroguy

guitarheroguy SS.org Regular

sorry guys very noob question.

is 26.5 baritone different from a 26.5 ??

edit:
    some staff in guitar shop, i asked him about the guitar, and i asked if 26.5 is baritone guitar and he said no, its a 26.5 but not baritone..

im so confused lol

18. Nlelith

Nlelith SS.org Regular

Nice necrobump. Anyway, in guitar community, "baritone guitar" usually means that its scale is longer than 'standard', to accommodate lower tunings. In other cases "baritone" may be used to describe tuning of the instrument, regardless of its scale length. And some people call guitar baritone only if it's 28-30" scale and is already tuned down.

So yeah, 26.5 is 26.5, doesn't matter if someone considers it to be a baritone or not.

19. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

26.5" is totally fine for a 7 string going down to G or possibly even F#/F, but for an 8 string 27" and up I find to be necessary.

20. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Some would say 25.5" is baritone territory... :lol:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.