Ironheart cab: e412vs, Vader 4x12

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by rick_fears, Jan 24, 2014.

1. rick_fears

rick_fears SS.org Regular

Hey guys, ive got a laney ironheart and ive decided its time for a new cab. Been shopping around and found a standard Engl pro e412vs Loaded stock with v30's and a Vader 4x12. Either one will cost me $500 to bring home. Dont want to turn this into another speaker thread but the supposed "lack of mids" and "lack of life" from the Vader scares me. But at the same time I am looking for a much smoother thick Tone so the Vader might work out opposed to the engl:scratch:. I have no first hand experience with either cabinet but I am going to check them out for myself tomorrow. Just trying to get a heads up before I head out.

I play melodic deathmetal kind of stuff. The group I currently play with has three guitars, full Mesa triple setup and a xxx, so getting lost in the mix is definatey a concern of mine. So anybody tried a laney through a Vader?? How do they do with v30's? Ive read that the ironheart essentaily is a "laneyfied" 5150. I have no experience with 5150 so I cant really comment on that lol

2. ridner

ridner Bastard of Thousands

Vader cabs for the win!

3. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

What kind of sound do you want? V30's are extremely popular and it's hard to go wrong with them. K100's are also highly recommended by awesome people such as myself. :p

The driver that you choose will have the most affect on your overall tone. The cab as it concerns guitars isn't an enormous factor. However as a general rule of thumb a cab with a larger volume (H x W x D) is going to give you more low end.

4. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

The ENGL cab is the tighest and most aggressive cab I have ever played through. It's loud in all of the cut-through frequencies and shakes the room with precision due to the super-controllable low end.

ENGL V30 will not help your fizz at all. If anything, it makes fizz worse. That was why I sold mine, all my heads are fizzy and I dont have a space where I can open things up to stage volume (where fizz tends to go away) whenever I want. I am pretty sure it was designed to compensate for dark sounding amps or something.

If the Laney is 5150-ish, something with more of the boomy tone of a Mesa oversize will probably be better all around. If you want to enhance presence/aggression in the mix the ENGL will get you there.

5. rebornself27

rebornself27 SS.org Regular

Vaders are solid construction ive been inside a few vaders all solid and ive seen an engl as well decent but vader to br honest is better built.now as far as speakers .are u a highs mids fan? If not then the eminence in the vaders are slight mid scooped great low end smooth can be lifeless if dialed in wrong .the engl had the typical v30 voicing bright high mids good low end a nice step up from a mesa recto 412

6. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

Good luck getting a Vader

7. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

My vote is get a vader and sell the laney for a xxx head. The vader was voiced specifically for that head.

8. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

This is probably the only time I will ever say this:

Get the V30 cab.

9. rick_fears

Why do you say this?

10. rick_fears

Should've clarified earlier but the cabinet will most likely not be used for recording. Only live. :yesway:

11. rebornself27

Get the vader and thank us later :hbang:

12. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Well, I'm not a fan of V30s, but I don't think the particular Emi speakers in the Vader are gonna compliment the Ironheart that well.

13. rick_fears

I was actually thinking the opposite. I decided to give the Vader a whirl. If I end up not liking it It will be for sale/trade jere on the forum. Ill be doing a Thread on both the head and cabinrt later this week. Until then..

14. rick_fears

Im not sure if this worked but there should be a picture. Lol

Attached Files:

15. rebornself27

Congrats u made a great choice

16. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

Oh used Vader? I thought you were trying to get a new one. Vader's are awesome though. 2 of my friends have them. Wish I got one before they stopped making cabs.

17. rick_fears

Finally got a chance to play through the cab....... Wow. This thing is bitchin. I feel like this cab is the one that should have been made for the ironheart. It rounds off some of the harsher frequencies but keeps just enough to cut, light emphasis on lows and low mids, reeeaaaaally tight cabinet. Surprised me for being oversized. Ill do a full sonic analysis sometime in the near future. But for now I will continue rattling my floorboards. That is all and good night.

18. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Glad you like it! It looks sweet with the head :yesway:

19. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

It does indeed look great with that head, it's like they were meant to mate.

also;
    Laney Vader is a great name for a blackmetal/goth chick :lol:.

20. rick_fears

Funny youshould say that. I actually keep a sombrero on the rig and have named it Hernando Laney Vader lol its fun to say with a latin accent. :lol: