IR suggestions for a noob

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by eayottes, Nov 19, 2018.

1. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

While house-sitting for a friend I decided to try to dial in a lead tone with his STL Howard Benson plugin.

Since I didn't like the sound of the plugin cabs (using the "rock lead tone" preset, which uses an amp modeled after a Marshall amp), I decided to browse his Ownhammer heavy hitters impulse responses. Disclaimer: I had never auditioned IR's before.

I watched Ownhammer's video on "quick tips for IR selection" but managed to still spend 2+ hours auditioning the 100+ IRs, and I wasn't close to having browsed all of them.

For other Ownhammer heavy hitter owners, what are your favorite IRs in this library for lead tones ?

Any other specific IR suggestions for lead tones (e.g. Valhallir cab model X) would be super appreciated.

I understand this is a very subjective subject that depends on pickups + amp + many other factors, but any suggestion would help me narrow down my search. Thanks !

2. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

I like the Zilla V30+M25 2x12 in the 2nd Heavy Hitters Ownhammer collection for Marshall amps.

eayottes likes this.
  3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

From Heavy Hitter's Vol. II any cab with V30 + any other speaker that is differently voiced than V30 is a good start. If you prefer mixed ir options OH1 files are always nice balanced option. I usually listen how a certain cab sounds with single mic SM57 ir, and start to kind of alter that reference to a way I want it to be by changing mic position, speakers or trying certain mixes. Also you don't want to browse all of them, just look a quick start folder, then SM57 options 00-05 & FRED and mix it with a ribbon or condenser mic.

You could even make your own mix with Redwire'z MixIR2 or any other IR loader like I did with ValhallIR impulses. From their cabs I like most number 2 options (B2, C2, C2a etc.) from their Mesa or Engl cabs.

eayottes likes this.
  4. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll give this a try this evening. I guess I'm also having a more difficult time than usual because I switched guitars and I'm still not used to tone fiddling with Fishman Fluence pickups.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

yeah, like metropolis said. V30 cabs with sm57 mics are a good place to start. I like the diezel/mesa blended cabs.

6. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Good thread. I have fought this myself. I've gotten cab packs and the multitude of over-technically or vaguely named cabs hurts my brain. I got Wall of Sound to help remedy this. But sometimes I wonder if I'm overdoing things by mixing the stereo cabs and going back and forth to get each one right and then turning them back on together and then full ADD sets in and I wonder where the hell I started from.

7. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Giving our favourites won't really help you IMO. Depends on your guitar, amp sim/settings, genre etc.

The Ownhammer stuff is REALLY simple. They even give you a "quick start" folder!

First, choose a cab you actually like in real life.

If you don't know which cab, simply audition the Quickstart OH1 IRs. One per cab, so that isn't too many to handle. The OH1 set is a blended SM57 and R121.

You may also consider auditioning the "MDRN" IRs if you prefer the SM57 and MD421 mix.

One you've narrowed down to the cab you like based on quickstart OH1 files, then go through the 10 different OH-1 files. Done.

If OH1 really isn't working for you, then you go through other blends in the guickstart folder.

And obviously there are single mics, which I assume you'd be familiar with the properties. 57 is bright, but can be fizzy. 121 is dark, but is smoother and thicker. etc etc.

Personally, OH1 or MDRN meets my needs 90% of the time.

eayottes likes this.
  8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Ownhammer are really good about keeping all of the options organized and simple :yesway:

I don't have either of the Heavy Hitter packs, but I have the free Recto 4x12 pack and the Cali Duo pack. My favorite real life cabs are my Mesa Traditional 4x12s, and the Cali Duo was the only high quality IR set that's based on that cab, at least to my knowledge. I've been able to narrow down that whole pack to just a handful of IRs that will cover any sound I need by following similar advice to what others have mentioned here. In my case, the V70 speaker with either the 57 or CUT options do a great job replicating the sound I go for with my real cabs

eayottes and Metropolis like this.
  9. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

That cab and speaker combination has a nice 3D feel in it, and it's not as scooped or dark sounding like Oversized cabs are.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  10. Athor

Athor SS.org Regular

I have Celestions G12-76, Classic Lead 80 and V30 IRs. LOVE the 65 and 80 ones. Sound great

eayottes likes this.